Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My Valet 2 Button Key Has Got A 3Rd Button Under He Case?

hi like in my last post ive only got the black 2 button key for my is200 , and have been told its the sub valet key , it fits the boot but not the glove box so im stumped on getting a new key , anyway i thought id change the batteries in it today and when i tooki the cover to bits i saw another button under a plastic cover , i pressed this and the boot opened , how come my key has got one of these , its not a stand up proud button like the unlock/lock , it sits below covered up , but like i say it works the boot.

just another question can i get another key from eBay and have it cut to match mine , who cuts them instead of lexus they want £40 , ive got a spare grey sub key from another is200 but apparently it wont programme up for my motor.

Mate thats your 3 button master key ,someone has put the transponder in a wrong case and you can buy replacement keys on eBay but check the length of blade before buying a spare as there is a difference .Im sure someone local can cut a key blade i had one cut in chesterfield recently as they have a tendancy to break regularly around where the blade fits into the plastic case

Sounds like that's your master key. Maybe the lock on the glove box is broke that's why your key won't work in it.

To check if it's a master key or not simply put it in the ignition. If the red security light on the dash goes out the instant the key is inserted into the barrel then it's a master key. If the security light stays on for 2-3 seconds it's a valet key.

this sound like same the one i have

three button transponder in a two button key fob.

weird :geek: the third button on the transponder is covered by a clear plate

not sure if force taking off the clear plate will harm the transponder.

Sounds like that's your master key. Maybe the lock on the glove box is broke that's why your key won't work in it.

To check if it's a master key or not simply put it in the ignition. If the red security light on the dash goes out the instant the key is inserted into the barrel then it's a master key. If the security light stays on for 2-3 seconds it's a valet key.

it stays on 2/3 seconds but does have the 3 buttons inside , i dont trust myself to look after the key so , i dont want to but i think its ridiculaus buying a new ecu and lockset from lexus for £1500+ like they said so the car will have to be sold , such a shame as the car is great.

Mate, there are enough breakers and spare dealers to set you up, i mean ecu, keys and transponder, also there are many expert people on this forum who can be much more helpful than lexus themselves AND MUCH CHEAPER THAN THAT. .Give them a try first

where did you get yours cut , im in chesterfield , do timpsons cut them , ive rung pollards up the locksmiths on derby road and they said they cant do a remote key but they can do me a clone key to the one i have , that would be better if they could , they said £70 to supply ,cut and clone the key to my car , or if i got one on eBay it would make buying the key a but cheaper , im told theres a few different lenths.

im sorted now , ive been down to chesterfield town centre and popped into timpsons and they reckon they can do a non remote key cut and cloned to my existing key for £25 , they have a half price sale on at the moment , so ive ordered a black , so in a few days ill see if it works , happy days.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links