Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Led Light Conversion

petayV8

Im about to install LED lights all round to my IS200 including:

Map light

Main interior light

Ash tray light

Door markers

Boot light

Adding puddle lights

Number plate lights

I have made a chart to help myself or anyone else who who wants to as well. I will be mainly using LED SMD panels and therefore need to get dimesions correct for each space.... I will add some pictures of how I get on too. As for door markers, I will be placing LED panels within orange plastic surround. For the puddle lights if you look there is a indent under the front doors towards the front that would house a small light panel perfectly, I will be running the wires from the door markers. I may or may not have to remove door cards, will have to see.

http://www.2shared.c...conversion.html

While you're at it, do this conversion too;

How-To > http://my.is/forums/...-unlock-413581/

Also, this place sells adapters for the different type of bulb fitments you'll find in the map and dome lights;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warm-White-Light-Panel-36-SMD-LED-Interior-Bulb-T10-BA9S-Adapter-/140877409589?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ccf2ad35

^ That one comes with both the ones you want for the dome light and map light. I'm sure if you asked him nicely he'd include an extra SMD panel so you have two panels and use two of those adapters (you don't need the white one for the interior bulbs)

BTW, just in case you don't have it to hand, here's a bulb list;

Dip Beam - 9006/HB4

Main Beam - 9005/HB3

Sidelight - 501w /T10/W5W

Side Turn - 501w /T10/W5W

Front Fog 99-2003 - 9006/HB4

Front Fog 2003- H3

Front Turn Indicator - T20 /7440/582

Rear High Mounted Stop Light - 955

Licence Plate - 501w /T10/W5W X 2

Rear Fog - T20 /7440/582

Reverse light - T20 /7440/582

Rear indicator - amber 582y/7440/T20

Stop/Tail - R580 /w21\5w

Interior Middle Dome - 269 /festoon 31mm

Interior Front - Ba9

Glove Box - R286 / 5mm

Ignition barrel ring - R286 / 5mm

Door Marker lights - 501w /T10/w5w

Boot Light - 501w /T10/w5w

My red door markers

308481_10150369419481712_895731016_n.jpg

Puddle lights.

381481_10150369420406712_1002262370_n.jpg

377789_10150369419971712_539108242_n.jpg

Just in the process of doing the break lights and indicators, just waiting for the LED relay to arrive that stops the indicators flashing too fast.

My red door markers

308481_10150369419481712_895731016_n.jpg

Puddle lights.

381481_10150369420406712_1002262370_n.jpg

377789_10150369419971712_539108242_n.jpg

Just in the process of doing the break lights and indicators, just waiting for the led relay to arrive that stops the indicators flashing too fast.

wow that looks friggin awesome! where exactly did you position the light panel for the puddle light? not much room under the door when closed i noticed.... btw let us know what the OEM rear lights look like with LEDs after you got the resistors sorted... im still unsure whether i should just switch the bulbs like yourself or get some new LED rear lights, not to keen on the chromed/clear frame anyway

While you're at it, do this conversion too;

How-To > http://my.is/forums/...-unlock-413581/

Also, this place sells adapters for the different type of bulb fitments you'll find in the map and dome lights;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20ccf2ad35

^ That one comes with both the ones you want for the dome light and map light. I'm sure if you asked him nicely he'd include an extra SMD panel so you have two panels and use two of those adapters (you don't need the white one for the interior bulbs)

yes was thinking of using two panels for the middle light as i could prob fit 2x 48 LED panels as i measured it as 10cm wide (as stated in my document) but bought 1 for now and see how it looks. That mod im not to bothered about TBH, although the car is much better lit with both on yes, but I think adequate as is. What I would like is the interior lights to come on when you take the key out or turn to 1, one thing i miss the focus had, then they fade out when you start the car.

I just chucked a couple of 501 LED's in the sidelights, just because the regular bulb colouring was annoying me it didn't match the HID's. However, it looks like the two LED's aren't quite a match; both are white, but one has a slightly bluer tint, and the other a slightly greener tint! Ho hum...

Thanks Petayv8, the puddle lights are stuck to the door trim where it meets the door, lust nipped outside to take a pic for you.

so hard to take a pic of lights at night upside down with a Iphone!!!

394087_10151089570681712_833314975_n.jpg

Hope you under stand where i placed them, theres a ton of room so they dont get caught by the seals at all, i just ran both red door leds and puddle leds to the red door marker, 10 mins job...

I just chucked a couple of 501 LED's in the sidelights, just because the regular bulb colouring was annoying me it didn't match the HID's. However, it looks like the two LED's aren't quite a match; both are white, but one has a slightly bluer tint, and the other a slightly greener tint! Ho hum...

yeah i noticed your side lights looked yellow when next to your HIDs! and I told you to go for CREE diodes! lol cheap ones never cut it and also fail after a while. I got CREE Q5s with projector lenses on the end for my sidelights

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120876024923?var=420068704422&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

which are stated at 5k temp i think , only problem i have is the bulb holder actually points about 25 degrees outwards, so you can only see the beam well from far left or right, looks alright tho but was thinking to try these instead with a wider light angle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310407328240?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have 1x24 led in the dome light and that's way good enough, but did the map light mod with a 6 led strip, also my leds do fade out when the cars starts...

I meant when you turn engine off the interior lights dont come on until you open the door (im pretty sure). Well i bought 48 panels for both so my cars gonna look like a christmas tree!

Thanks Petayv8, the puddle lights are stuck to the door trim where it meets the door, lust nipped outside to take a pic for you.

so hard to take a pic of lights at night upside down with a iphone!!!

394087_10151089570681712_833314975_n.jpg

Hope you under stand where i placed them, theres a ton of room so they dont get caught by the seals at all, i just ran both red door leds and puddle leds to the red door marker, 10 mins job...

Ill be honest i cant make out the pic ( feel i bit stupid!) i just ran out to the car too to try and figure it out, so you took pic with door open? the metal showing is the car or the door? i think ill wait till its light lol

They might be better, but I ain't paying £12/£13 for side light bulbs! Hell, I'd have taken mine out if it wasn't illegal, so the £1.95 ones I've put in are discreet enough to barely be visible when lit. It's not like they give any useable light anyway.

Just gotta decide what to do with the fog lights - keep them as they are (yellowy regular bulbs) or try and get a colour match, or close to, the HID colour (either regular bulbs or LED bulbs)

The HID's in my dipped beam came off eBay for £20, but I wouldn't put them in the fog lights. HID's take a little time to warm up when you turn them on, and for that reason I wouldn't put them in the fogs or the main beam (they are no good for flashing either). I'd either put whiter (ideally a good colour match) halogen bulbs in there, or LED bulbs. But I'm not sure about doing it as yellower lights cut through rain and fog better (rather than reflecting)

They might be better, but I ain't paying £12/£13 for side light bulbs! Hell, I'd have taken mine out if it wasn't illegal, so the £1.95 ones I've put in are discreet enough to barely be visible when lit. It's not like they give any useable light anyway.

Just gotta decide what to do with the fog lights - keep them as they are (yellowy regular bulbs) or try and get a colour match, or close to, the HID colour (either regular bulbs or LED bulbs)

Very true a bit steep for side lights and the cheap ones look decent enough (ive had them before) I just remember getting thru them fairly quickly, and it doesnt help that i have a weird obsesion with lights and end up spending too much money on them! but at that price you cant complain. Ive bought the same bulbs I just linked for fog lights for mine to colour match my 5000k HIDs bulbs (that havent arrived yet) they should be just as bright as the halogens becuase there CREE. Ive had cheap ones in there too that dont really give much light output, however look good (gives it the DRL look without looking OTT). Some ppl HID convert fogs. but like you said fog lights are for cutting thru fog and when its actually foggy im always thankful for them, the IS in the USA are full blown yellow.

Sorry didnt really explain that photo very well, yes its the under side of the door.

This pic shows where i placed them.

302103_10150369448731712_253769953_n.jpg

got ya, yes I know the space there.... but wasnt sure how the space was effected when closed, hmm well since the LED panel i bought was only a few quid I might do what you did if they dont cut it.... did you buy something similar to this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-24-LED-Linear-Flexible-Strip-Car-Lights-24cm-White-/110665850344?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c432dde8

are you going to explain why you have a Is200 door lying around? lol btw i want some clear markers like that, but price was a bit steep on lexstacy, that where you got em?

LOL, thats just a photo shopped pic off the net.

These are the type i bought for both puddle lights and the red door adge.

599069_10151090871356712_1923694800_n.jpg

Their sticky backed so no glue or ties needed.

The ones youve odreded will most likely catch the sill, as trheir about 4 times the hight...

Thanks, they have been on the car about 2 years now and still no issues at all.

A few dont like but its down to your own taste and i like them and fitted few sets to a friends dadss merc.

Will get round to doing rear doors some time...when the weather gets better as im a puff lol...

Fitted new LED indicators and relay today.

Fitting relay was ok, bit tricky to get access to it but as its the first relay you dont have to pull the whole fuse box out.

http://youtu.be/ChayqX6jxpw

Someone commented that after they had fitted LED indicators that they stopped flashing when you armed or disarmed the alarm, but i get a quick blink!

http://youtu.be/cQGYbZA8ErQ

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links