Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi,

I would be grateful for some advice, I currently have a 2008 S-class, 320 CDI. I have had a few reliability issues this year and hence I am looking at perhaps changing for a Lexus.

Initially I looked at the IS250, however, this may be a little too small especially in the rear, hence I am now looking at the GS300 or 450h

I would be grateful for any advice, tips you could offer?

There seems to be more choice for the 450h - a little nervous venturing out for the hybrid technology especially on an older car. One attraction is reliability and longevity of Lexus; does one loose this with the hybrid?

There seems to be more choice for the 450h - a little nervous venturing out for the hybrid technology especially on an older car. One attraction is reliability and longevity of Lexus; does one loose this with the hybrid?

The short answer is NO, the GS hybrid has been out since 2006 and other than the odd reported problem, as you would expect in any car, they have been as good as gold.

Even if you read a USA based form you won’t find many complaint’s.

Average Fuel consumption won’t be much different between the 300 & 450h, but in performance they are worlds apart. Drive both, but I am quite sure your go for the 450h as long as you can cope with the MUCH smaller boot.

The only major recall I can remember was valve springs, witch I believe affected 2007 & 2008 models, so if you buy one around that year just make sure that work has been done, not really a problem if it hasn’t, its all warranty work.

Hi and a warm welcone to LOC, may I suggest you go back to topic "GS450h mileage" on the previous page to get a feel for the quality/reliability of the Hybrid models,not certain but think any 300 would be about the same age as your Merc as the GS 300 was phased out about that time or shortly after. Go hybrid, you will not regret it! (unless you need a big boot)

Thank you for all your helpful comments. It is reassuring to hear about Lexus reliability extends to the hybrid system also. I have noticed most GS450h cars around the 2008/9 year (budget of 16-17k max) have 18" alloys.

This worries me a little as my s class had 18" alloys which I eventually changed to 17" to improve low speed road quality especially on bad inner city roads.

What is the ride quality on the GS450 on 18" alloys?

Hi

I think the best thing to do is to test drive one, as we all have different opinions on what we call a firm or bumpy ride.

I had a GS 300 with 17” rims before the MK3 450h, and I felt the 450h with 18” rims was a harder ride, so I was even more concerned when I brought the new GS 450h f sport which has 19” rims, but after a test drive, and with the new suspension set up it drives as smooth as the GS300, that is until you put it in sports + mode then things really stiffen up, but even then I would not call the ride hard or bumpy.

Remember the 450h is a sporty car with a 0 – 60 of less then 6 seconds

But how long has hybrid technology been out in Lexus? Less than 10 years, I think summer 2006? So surely the jury is out on weather they live up to the Lexus long life reliability. Sure their good so far but a 400h is at its oldest 6 and half years I think? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I mean we know for certain that LS400's are bulletproof as they've been on the roads and are still going strong since 1989. Likewise early GS's and 1st generation IS's have been around over 10 years and are regarded as some of the most reliable cars ever produced.

Personally I don't think the same can be said about any Lexus Hybrid yet as we don't know how they fair as they get to the 10 year old mark and beyond.

I can imagine some horrifying bills for say a 10 year old 400h that has had it hybrid technology fail!

And does anybody know how long hybrid technology is supposed to last? I know that if I keep servicing my 11 year old IS then it can go on forever pretty much! And if anything major fails its still not going to be a bill of £1000's. I dread to think what a new hybrid system would cost £5k ? And if that repair was needed on a 10 year old 450h would it be worth it? Or would it be more than the cars worth?

My 450h is now over 155,000 with no faults, I would pay big figures to repair it because it is still way less than picking up huge depreciation on another newer car, it has been excellent value to now with no problems and good fuel consumption figures.

I have never considered the ride quality to be poor on 18 inch alloys,just change the damper settings.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links