Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Just had the offside headlight fail, presume new bulb needed. Have read various threads on the site, with astronomic prices for a bulb etc. lexus it would seem will not be cheap, anyone had a replacement at Halfords, who price the bulb at £90, plus they offer fitting, but at what price I know not. How difficult is it to change bulb for a D I Y ?

Hi be carefull, both of my HID headlights have been out, the 1st time the O/S just stopped but that turned out not to be the bulb but the ballaster? sorry that may be the wrong spelling, the next issue was the N/S which occasionally would not illuminate ( no dash warning so I never knew if it was lit or not) thankfully failed MOT on this so covered by warranty, was the bulb this time. I would be tempted to ask Lexus to check it out and I believe they have reduced the crazy price of bulbs, but they will solve the problem without a Halfords boy fiddling with it. I have now driven over 500 K with these bulbs with only 1 failure so it is rare.

Regards Tony

Problem sorted, just had new bulb fitted at Lexus Wolverhampton, reminds you why you bought a Lexus. As you quite rightly say, sat in comfy showroom, Sky TV, coffee, read morning papers, and car returned washed, first class service for £81.00. I must be getting old, I remember when you could change a bulb for less than a fiver, and your missus would bring you a cup of tea out to you. Ahhh memories!

OEM HID bulbs are expensive in general in comparison to the halogen counterparts. Lexus have been using the mercury free D4S bulbs on the 06> cars and they are even more expensive than the standard D2R/D2S bulbs. The most cost efficient method is to source the bulbs from a reputable shop and fit them yourself.

Remember HID bulbs change color as they age. You should ideally replace them in pairs. Otherwise you will probably have two different looking headlights.

I did initially seek to buy the bulb, but that was £90 from Halfords, I guess by additional searches I could have found a cheaper one, but, I still have to fit it, and from looking on YouTube that does not sound easy, unless you are a contortionist, have ramps, and are proficient in dismantling large chunks of plastic engine innards, so, I am very happy to pay the 80 quid and know its done properly. As far as replacing in pairs goes, you are absolutely right, the new headlight is brighter, but either way they conform to Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, will,pass MOT, and no doubt I in the near future I will have the opportunity to replace the near side one.

I know what you mean. Changing the bulbs on my IS took me nearly two hours but It was worth it because I got to explore the engine bay and other bits under the covers. Funnily enough, the owners manual does not have instructions for changing the bulbs and instead recommends the car be taken to a dealer.

Lexus have got some really awkward headlight designs for these cars launched around the 05-06 period. Hope the newer ones are more owner friendly.

Problem sorted, just had new bulb fitted at Lexus Wolverhampton, reminds you why you bought a Lexus. As you quite rightly say, sat in comfy showroom, Sky TV, coffee, read morning papers, and car returned washed, first class service for £81.00. I must be getting old, I remember when you could change a bulb for less than a fiver, and your missus would bring you a cup of tea out to you. Ahhh memories!

thanks for the info have just spoken to lexus Newcastle and they were a little unsure as i asked for a what the manual calls a low beam bulb and they responded with a discharge bulb at £51 plus fitting £25 i imagine plus vat and they have to order the part does this sound about the same my headlight flickered for almost a year 4000 miles and now comes on for a second then goes off. Regards Cliff

Hi Cliff

Yes it sounds right, I can confirm its just the dipped beam headlight contained within the main headlight unit with indicator and front position lamp(sidelight). The separate inner lights are main beam. For info the bulb is a D4S HID 42V35W. Hope that helps, and Happy Xmas....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links