Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Key Just Stopped Working?

So I've just finished a night shift in work and when I arrived back home I get out the car as normal and press the rubber button on the handle to lock the car up. But nothing happened. So I then pulled out my smartkey and tried from that, nothing. The Battery seems ok as I can get in the car and it detects the key and the engine starts just fine.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem and do they know how to troubleshoot it? Thanks guys!

Kev

Just occasionally this happens. Usually because of interference from other wi-fi hardware in the location. They do seem a little susceptible to wireless interference.

If it keeps happening in that particular spot, parking area, try moving the car to a different spot in future. Sometimes just a few feet away can make the difference.

It's not ideal and in nearly two years of ownership it has only happened to me twice soo can live with it.

Carl

It's happened to me a few times and there is one particular spot I can replicate it every time. Carl is right - it is literally just a few feet that can make the difference.

I've had some success with going to the rear of the car and trying it near that transponder but if not enough of a clear encoded signal gets through it won't unlock. It actually sends the code hundreds of times and MUST handshake above a certain percentage or it fails and will not unlock.

Also, sometimes the RAC have reported just parking the van at different spots around the car is enough to change/block the interference.

Its not only Lexus that do it, my sister's Audi does it too occasionally.

I've managed to fix the problem with a new Battery (CR1620 3V). I posted on here as I didn't think it was the Battery because the detected the fob fine once I was inside. I tried your suggestions first, moving to the other side of our road, then I nipped out on a whim to get a Battery. That's fixed it anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys and have a great Christmas!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links