Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I may just be paranoid, but in the last few weeks I have had a number of oncoming motorists flash me.

So made me wonder if the self levelling mechanism on the LS400 can go awry or not.

Is it an easy tweak if they do need adjusting, or best left to an expert, or is it just other motorists not used to other cars being able to light up the road clearly.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated

Now you've got me wondering about my headlights too!

I occasionally get flashed at, ( headlights, I mean....) so now that's on my check-list for tomorrow, -if the damn rain has stopped that is...

I wonder though, is it because the LS400's headlights are a bit intense anyway, even on dipped?

I had this happen to me on my LS ....found out the level sensor on rear of car had corroded n snapped.. So I just manually adjusted it to stop dazzling oncoming vehicles.... It's on drivers side near suspension

Pete... The bit if mine that broke was the bit welded onto bottom arm.....and never bothered to get it replaced... I just got headlights at right height by moving the sensor arm then securing....no probs with dazzling or with MOT

Im lost here! I have had 2 '97s & now a 95, non of them have been self leveling - can we get self leveling fitted in place of fixed? I'd like to to get HID in

Self levelling headlights 1st appeared on the series 4 model so earlier models had conventional adjustment of the beam.

There is a height adjustment control on the series 3 models but they are not automatic.

Mine has HIDs fitted without self leveling and passes its MOT with them.

To retrofit the system would I think be a major project.

Mine has HIDs fitted without self leveling and passes its MOT with them.

I got HID in my 400 but unplugged it all when I got my last MOT done, they are illegal without self leveling, if you got stopped on a spot check or something else they can & in London will tow the car which is why I lefy mone disconnected and normal bulbs in.

Re MOT and lights, the rules for lights and mot

Got it from here but the bit for lights is pasted below. http://www.theaa.com...anges-2012.html

It does mention a 'bedding in period of testable components' which the self leveling systems fall into, check the bottom of the webpage.

You can get tons of info from here regards all MOT stuff, http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications/manualsandguides/vehicletestingmanualsandguides.htm#P44_1187

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

I must have a search and find this information but I have read that retrofit HIDs will be passed without self levelling if the cars suspension set up is firm, i.e. it doesn't allow the beams to bounce all over the place everytime you hit a bump or pothole.

I think once again it is a grey area where a tester's discretion plays a major part.

Also the rules have changed since my last test so it will be a case of ask before the test.

Thanks for all your comments, they made me wonder about a few things. I know HID became an MOT failure on non-self leveling suspension or non self leveling headlights & non manufacturer fitted in Jan last year.

But looking at your replies what I never read anywhere was that they were actually illegal?!, only that aftermarket HIDs failed an MOT (I know some MOT guys turn a blind one)

This is the gov guidelines.

It does not say HID are exactly illegal but to pass the test aftermarket but, as far as the test is concerned – “should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems otherwise this will be a reason for rejection.” – As these rules came in Jan 2012 it does not say they cannot be fitted after that date and unplugged for the next test.

I don’t know if the MOT can make rules for the test, which is what these ………oh what the hell, I don’t know if they are actually illegal or not but here it is below in our trusted governments fair hand. If anyone gets nicked in the meantime let us know!

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/customer-information-notice-cars-2010.pdf

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective this will be a reason for rejection.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems otherwise this will be a reason for rejection. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.

MOT testers can't make rules up as they go along, they have to follow the guidelines set in the testing procedures. They can only make judgement on what results show when they do the relevant part of the test.

It does not say that the aftermarket installation of HID is illegal, just that they need to meet certain criteria.

For example, an old car such as a Ford Cortina would never have been fitted as standard with HID lights, it would not be illegal to fit some, but it could render it a fail on the MOT if no self clean or self leveling device were not fitted.

Logic tells me upgrading the lights of older cars is one very good way to make the visibly safer for the occupant and other road users.

From the AA link i posted read this...

The new testable components* are subject to a 'bedding in' period during which any defects found in these components will be advisory only.

And this

* The new testable components subject to the 'bedding in' period throughout 2012 are:

• headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps
  • main beam 'tell-tale'
  • Battery - including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles
  • electrical wiring connectors
  • trailer electrical socket security and damage
  • operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets
  • operation of the steering lock (where fitted)
  • electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault
  • electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
  • electronic stability control components including switch and malfunction warning
  • brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
  • tyre pressure monitoring systems
  • secondary restraint system component including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and seat belt load limiters.
  • speedometer
  • indirect vision devices - where they replace obligatory mirrors

So as you see, it clearly says an advisory is to be issued only if the HID lights do not meet the criteria, it does not say also what the length in time is for the 'bedding in' period is only that 'throughout 2012'

Yes, they dont seem to be illegal but an mot failure is not road legal, but, as its an advisory thats not a failure, it's quite confusing as things stand at the moment, but, from what you guys have said, if anyone fitted them throughout 2012 that would not have been illegal, so therefore it would only be on the next MOT they would get an advisory at the moment and maybe illegal at any time after 2012.....or maybe its non of those things. It must feel like this when theres an alian attack on the starship enterprise.

I would have assume even with all this wording, it comes donw to wether the headlights are 'fit for purpose', whether retro or original fit, and blidning on-comers seems to 'not fit for purpose'.

Still not has had chance to get under the Mk4, been getting the wifes Honda ready for an MOT.

But interested in the other comments on cheap fixes, and last night using good old fashioned meccano came to mind.

Also seems as if a good spray of WD40 in the mechanism every now and again ought to be a 'service' job, just to delay siezing up.

AAWhere HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

Well acording to the above AA interpretation the headlight levelling system does not have to be auto, just a levelling device, I have the manual level adjuster inside the car so that makes my '95 legal to use HID as well as pass an MOT, is that how you guys understand it?

I would have assume even with all this wording, it comes donw to wether the headlights are 'fit for purpose', whether retro or original fit, and blidning on-comers seems to 'not fit for purpose'.

Still not has had chance to get under the Mk4, been getting the wifes Honda ready for an MOT.

But interested in the other comments on cheap fixes, and last night using good old fashioned meccano came to mind.

Also seems as if a good spray of WD40 in the mechanism every now and again ought to be a 'service' job, just to delay siezing up.

This is what happens when legislation comes into play, most often the these rules and regulations are written by someone or body who has no real understanding of the workings of such parts.

Good old fashioned "fit for purpose" is by far the best way forward at the moment, does it work? yes = pass no = fail, not that difficult really, would save all this confusion.

Mine broke too, I removed it and put a Tesco Value meat skewer in its place, bent at the eyelets. Does the same job, skewer = £1, Lexus replacement = £70, easy decision.

Well finally got the car jacked up, and the link had broken, could not find a decent enough meat skewer, so cut a piece of 15mm copper pipe to length, put it over the broken link, and then bound it up with 2mm thick garden wire (plastic coated), and it works. A bit heath robinson, but I will see how long it lasts.

My only concern will be torsion on the bracket attached to the suspension arm, but the copper tube allows a few mil play so should be okay. Should have taken a photo for others to have a laugh.

At least I can see the road in front at night, not 100 yards off

Please do take a photo but not for us to have a laugh. Its called thinking outside of the box, its what puts the Great back into Britain occasionally. Lexus simply took what Rolls Royce used to do, into the modern era.

I think I covered my arse there......ahem cough splutter...

Please do take a photo but not for us to have a laugh. Its called thinking outside of the box, its what puts the Great back into Britain occasionally. Lexus simply took what Rolls Royce used to do, into the modern era.

I think I covered my arse there......ahem cough splutter...

Well with computer running so slow this morning, taken longer to get photo loaded, than it did to take wheel off, take photos, put wheel back on and make a cup of tea.

Since last posting, have been for a 40 mile tootle around the lanes of Cotswolds (floods + potholes the size of Bernard Manning) and so expecting it to hold for a while.

I havbe circled two bits. Bottom circle is where the original arms tend to break (too much rotational torque - as bottom joint always seem to be one to stop rotating). So looking at the top circle this is just waterproof packing tape, this stop too much rotation of the copper tube which may cause more wear on the original arm.

So as I said before there is some give in the bodge, so that as suspension moves it should be okay.

Because the copper pipe is soft it should wear more than the arm, so trhe pipe will not (or I hope will not) cause the arm to wear any more at the base.

If I find too much rotation later on, I will try some dense packing foam around the arm.

So total cost (1 hour effort) and most of that was looking for my copper pipe cutter (not done any plumbing in awhile)

NB: Have loaded up image, but comes over as too big, so will try and work out how to make it right size, but may take me a while, as first time I have done this