Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Non Run Flat Tires & Suspension

oeo

Mine is a 2002 dark green SC430! Always looks best clean and shiny! Over 2 years old with 14K miles. By far the best car I have ever owned. The ride, tire noise level, and tire grip have gotten a lot worse as the tires have worn...however the ride and handling has never been that great even when the car was new. The car has a heavy feel to it, kind of drives like a very nice big car...although it's 2+2 and looks like it should drive like something between a roadster and very, very nice cruizer.... My Lexus dealer now recommends non-run flat Michelin Pilot Sport AS and a tire repair kit, however they don't know anything about an upgraded suspension??? Does anyone know if Lexus is only making both suspension and tire change available only in the UK and Europe? Has anyone in the states changed the suspension and changed to non-flat tires at a US Lexus dealer and is that a lot better? I'm thinking about either upgrading and customizing my SC430 or just selling it while it has some decent value and buying a new 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Mercedes SL500 or something like that... however the Lexus SC430 is a far better value, especially if I can improve the ride feel and handling.... I wish Lexus would recognize they need to do something to make their SC430 owners happy. I had 96 SC400 and a 98 SC400 that hadled much better than the SC430. Not sure if I'm going to remain a Lexus customer right now... Of course there are so many things I like better in the SC430... technology, luxury, nav system, wow factor, automatic hardtop convertible, very high quality, etc, etc, etc. I think Lexus put so much focus and effort on the looks, convertible, engine, luxury, runflat tire convenience but the handling, no spare tire and ride became secondary... Any thoughts about this topic from other SC430 owners?

Why don't you test drive a new SC and compare it to yours. There have been 3 modifications to suspension bushes in the US to stop clunking noises from the rear end, I don't know if they improve ride. Run flats are now only an option in the US, normal ones are standard.

Ask the guys at http://www.clublexus.com for their comments on tyres or modifications.

ColinBarber,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will test drive a 2003 or 2004 SC430 and ask about the changed suspension bushing/settings and if available for the 2002 model. I definitely will switch to Michelin non Run Flat tires.... if I decide to keep this car. That'll depend on how Lexus responds to my requests. I have read here that in Great Britain Lexus is updating tires and suspension. So that tells me Lexus knows the 2002 SC430 suspension isn't quite right and can be improved, not to mention the bad run flat tire idea....

thanks again,

oeo

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links