Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a '99 LS400. The rear parking sensor (does not have a front one) has always worked perfectly. However, after a long

drive in continuous rain over Christmas the sensor has stopped working. Strangely, it came back on again for one day but

has now been silent for the past three days. Could it be the damp or the fact that I inadvertently hit a bad pothole at about the

same time. Maybe the bump dislodged something. I am not very techno minded. Any help much appreciated.

Judging by the lack of replies and no mention of the sensor in the owners manual I am wondering if

the rear parking sensor was added at a later date. Was it fitted as standard to the late Mk 4s ?

There are no 'holes' in the rear bumper so I am not sure how it works.

hi

the Mark 4 never came with sensors - these would be retrofit - these are very simple 2 wire connections

When i fitted mine i took the live from the rear reversing lights in the boot lid and earthed it to the vehicle body metal in the boot - i would have a good look around the boot - find these wires and check for any broken connections

I would also check the live wire as it goes from the boot lid to the boot area - maybe continous bending and straightening as the boot has been opened and closed has caused it to break

hope this helps

May I suggest you check your number plate surround as my old xedos 9 Mazda had retro fit reverse sensors which were actually part of a number plate reverse sensor set up. It worked perfectly and you would have absolutely no clue it was there had you not searched for it.

Note to self, buy another one, £70 well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks abs66, I have checked behind and around the number plate - could not see anything. Went to an auto electric guy

on Friday and he was mystified as to where the sensors are. He thinks they must be behind the 'plastic' bumper but he would

have to take it off to check. I have been spoilt with the sensor and am now missing it, particularly for tight parking spaces.

If I can't get the existing fixed soon I will resort to one of the number plate kits.

hi

if you want to retrofit some then its very simple - no need to remove bumper - once you drill a hole there is space behind the bumper to feed a wire through - just feed the wires into the boot - one connection goes to earth - the other to the reverse light.

The screen can be fitted on the dash and the wires fed under the drivers side kick plates

hope this helps

Mine came already fitted with rear sensors, they looked so neat I assumed they were factory fitted but they weren't, they were bought on eBay for £13 (the whole kit) and they're brilliant, I rely on them every time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links