Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ect Power Mode Is250 F-Sport

Better throttle response and stiffer steering. The transmission also downshifts quicker when you are slowing down so that you are in an appropriate gear in case you want to blast off.

• Like 1

as already confirmed it sharpens the throttle opening response and delays up shifting to higher gears longer in other words it holds onto lower gears more than normal. which translates to making the car accelerate to desired speeds quickly. It has also been confirmed on the US forumns that ECT-PWR mode gives good mpg when used in town driving becuase the car does not take long to hit the desired 30 or 50mph town driving speeds and also reduces heat generated in the transmission box because Lexus transmissions uses a device or algorithm which makes them shift smoothly but this smooth shifting also translates to more transmission heat generated because that device/algorithm is working a bit harder to give the driver that smooth transition between gear shifts but once ect pwer is enable this mechanisim is deactivated hence you feel that free trottle response and harder gear changes/upshifts when this mode is activated. I might need to fish around for this US thread and post it up

I personally have been using ECT-PWR mode now for about a month and car feels like how its meant to drive from day one a (Sport Sedan) consupmtion has improved a bit even more so when i use v power shell and engine note sounds sporting when this mode is also activated. it goes well too... i accidentally turned it off after using this mode continusly for about 3 weeks when i was polishing the interior of my car, started it up drove off and it felt like i had dropped an Anchor the car felt soo slugish and even hitting 50mph took a long time i thought i had a flat tire then looked at my dash and realised the ect-pwr light was off.. activated it again and felt like the weight has been taking of the car. was surprised how i got used to this mode and noticed the cars behavior(slugishness) when it was turned off. test it out by using it constantly for about 2 weeks then turn it off and see how the car responds. watch out when moving off from traffic though the throttle response it instant you need to be a bit careful without running into the guy ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much chaps., once again.

I hesitated in asking this question.

I'm really glad that I did now.

Fascinating to be aware of all this.

That ECT-PWR is going on tomorrow ..... ..... (if it doesn't snow :-) )

<The transmission also downshifts quicker when you are slowing down ...>

I'm looking forward to experiencing that.

<The upshifts should also be delayed so it holds onto each gear longer before upshifting, ..>

I'm also very interested in experiencing that too.

That really makes sense.

The V6 just seems to want to rev and rev.

This would help it to do just that I think.

<Tis fun to play with that switch. >

Ha-ha. I agree.

<It has also been confirmed on the US forumns that ECT-PWR mode gives good mpg ... >

Very interesting and useful to know.

I know I can easily get 40mpg, with careful driving.

So I should be able to find out if that works for me.

Good stuff.

< .. .... but once ect power is enable this mechanisim is deactivated hence you feel that free trottle response and harder gear changes/upshifts when this mode is activated.>

Excellent.

This makes a lot of sense.

Can't wait to experiment.

Noby76

< I might need to fish around for this US thread and post it up.>

I, and I'm sure others, would be really grateful if you could find it.

Thanks.

<I personally have been using ECT-PWR mode now for about a month and car feels like how its meant to drive from day one a (Sport Sedan) consupmtion has improved a bit even more so when i use v power shell and engine note sounds sporting when this mode is also activated. it goes well too... >

This sounds too good to be true.

Excellent again.

I'll be switching back to V-Power.

I've been using Total Excellium recently.

Mainly because the filling station is on my usual routes.

The Owner's Manual gives no hint of these benefits.

The dealer certainly didn't draw my attention to it either when I took delivery.

< i accidentally turned it off after using this mode continusly for about 3 weeks ..>

That's pretty well conclusive evidence to me that it works.

Argento

Here is a copy and paste from the forumn. you can find this on page 13 but worth reading from page 1 as some of the points raised where quite interesting very long thread though. :)

Let me address one thing I've seen questioned in this thread, but not accurately addressed.

FACT: With the ECT button engaged there is a quick shift.

Question(s): more heat?/less heat? -- better for trans?/worse for trans?

Answer: less heat, better for transmission

Info supporting answer: (This explination is over-simplified) In an automatic transmisson, there are things called Clutch Packs. They are steel plates and friction plates alternating in various quantities. A "smooth" shifting transmission accomplishes the "smoothness" by slowly applying pressure to the "Clutch Pack". This causes more slip within the pack, therefore more heat and more wear on the friction plates. If/when you change the transmisssion filter most of what you see will be friction plate material (think of sandpaper and the sand wearing off). When the transmission shifts quickly, the plates engage faster "harder" allowing less time for the friction material to be worn away. Hence the plates run cooler and last longer.

Some one is going to say..."well it changes more often which will cause more heat".... not enough heat to raise the overall temps of the transmission. Hopefully, you are in a gear more often then changing gears. If you are never in one gear more than a few seconds, then yes, more heat will be generated, and that is bad....but if you change gears every few seconds and NEVER leave the car in the same gear when driving ALL the time, you have bigger problems and probably shouldn't be on the road anyway... how hard would it to be consistantly changing gears 100% of the time you spend driving..(ie no time spent in a single gear)?

This kinda brings me to the "lifetime" fill on the transmission. I'm going to change my filter and the 1.5 liters (or whatever nominal amount of fluid is avail by removing the pan) regrdless of the "recomendation" in the owners manual. You can't changes physics folks, no matter how "smart" the Lexus engineers are...confused.gif

and BTW, for what it's worth, I drive with the ECT button on all the time and I haven't noticed any change in MPGs.

http://www.clublexus...368-post24.html

http://www.clublexus...ontinuosly.html

noby76, thanks very much for making this available to us.

I'll read and study it carefully.

UpSideDown re.

"I have it switched on all the time on my car"

Yes, I think that is the best way.

Like the air-con .... .... :-)

I'll probably go the whole hog and switch permanently to Sport mode!

Argento

UpSideDown re.

Argento

Once you switched to PWR mode and get used to it, its impossible to switch back to granny mode. :D

UpSideDown re.

Argento

Once you switched to PWR mode and get used to it, its impossible to switch back to granny mode. :D

+1 :D ... granny(normal) mode now feels gutless after driving with PWR mode for a while you definately feel the throttle response and quicker acceleration difference. getting to normal cruising speed like 30-50mph doest take long in pwr mode which i think translates to economy because the car will get to desired speed quicly and you can ease off the pedal and cruise.

Not exactly sure to be honest but this is the way I understood it and someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think what the ECT-PWR also does besides increasing the shift patterns to higher revs is it tries to think(Artificial Intelligence) or anticipate what the driver intends to do based on road conditions maybe by use of some suspension/tyre sensors, drivers intentions maybe based on how the driver is aggressively or calmly steering the car in conjunction with how far their pedal position is or how instantly they depress the pedal to either give them a comfortable ride/drive or a more aggressive/sporty drive.

And by the document, this Artificial intelligence is only active in D mode with ECT-PWR active but cancels out or deactivates i.e stops thinking for the driver when S or in my case M mode is selected but the performance parameters/algorithms will still be locked in place S/M mode . Hence the driver has full control of the highest gear they want the car to stay in when S or M mode is selected e.g. when in S mode and 3rd is selected the car will shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd by its self and hold at this gear until driver selects 4th gear by using the selectors and at a twisty corner the driver can then decide if 2nd gear will be best rather than the AI deciding 3rd gear for the same corner which means the AI is no longer thinking for the driver but the driver is now deciding which gear selections are best suited for the situation.

The sudden acceleration control operates within 4th , 5th and 6th gear which I can understand it to be kick down will only happen when the car is in these gears but will not kick down from 2nd to 1st or from 3rd to 2nd gear. Well that’s my understanding from reading

The sudden accelerator release control will hold in in the same gear when the driver suddenly takes the foot off which improves re-acceleration response once the pedal is reapplied sharply again. And this intelligence operates with 2nd to 5th gears.

Sudden deceleration downshift control will operate similar to sudden acceleration but operates within 4th to 6th gears only. This probably explains why S/M mode is needed for corners or twisty driving because when in D mode with ECT-PWR active and one is approaching a bend with sudden deceleration, the lowest gear the transmission will downshift to will be 3rd as the operating gears for sudden deceleration intelligence are 4th, 5th and 6th but with S / M mode the driver can select 2nd in some cases for better traction and torque when powering out of the corner.

This is my understanding from reading it but all might be wrong.

• Like 1

noby76, thanks for spending time giving us your take on this.

My brain is melting!

I'm sure you're right.

But I'm going to do something else now.

I'll resume reading your take and the www.clublexus.com thread tomorrow ... .....

That Kurt on www.clublexus.com is excellent isn't he?

So patient and polite.

He explains the subject so clearly.

I've been reading the thread you gave us, 24 pages!

I've got about 8 pages to go :-)

Kurt keeps saying, for example: "

No. If you read back in the thread I posted a link to exactly what ECT does,

I'm sure it does, if he says so. But I can't understand it, yet.

I'll try again tomorrow.

One thing I will say now though.

I can see why the Lexus Owner's Manual has little to say about ECT-PWR!

How could you translate this from Japanese to English?

I just can't stop reading the thread on this subject.

It's the best thing I've seen for ages.

Really excellent stuff.

May I take the opportunity to ask what the US guys mean by "WOT" (I may be sorry I asked this, but I am at a loss.

'wide open throttle' - surely not?? :-) )

Argento

yeah, WOT means wide open throttle. Step on the gas pedal hard to click the kickdown switch. It will instantly drop to 2rd gear for best acceleration. Add a F-sport performance intake to the car and you will do this all time. It sounds so good! :D

noby76, thanks for spending time giving us your take on this.

My brain is melting!

I'm sure you're right.

But I'm going to do something else now.

I'll resume reading your take and the www.clublexus.com thread tomorrow ... .....

That Kurt on www.clublexus.com is excellent isn't he?

So patient and polite.

He explains the subject so clearly.

I've been reading the thread you gave us, 24 pages!

I've got about 8 pages to go :-)

Kurt keeps saying, for example: "

No. If you read back in the thread I posted a link to exactly what ECT does,

I'm sure it does, if he says so. But I can't understand it, yet.

Argento

No probs mate :) am also learning my self as I dont fully understand it to be honest but I think Kurt on the forumn has some good points but same as the guy with name 'Balance' aswell they had a heated discussion at some point about normal mode being quicker than ECT-PWR mode but in a way i might disaggree with Kurt as I believe ECT-PWR mode sharpens things up a little with regards to trottle opening times, ignition timing mapping and other factors so there is no way ECT mode will record a slower shoot out time than normal mode but i might be wrong. i personally feel the difference in the whole cars behavior and engine/exhaust note when in ECT compared to normal mode.

understanding these things do get complicated and a bit technical aswell so I wouldnt really try to understand it technically all you need to know is once this button is activated the car sharpens up and accelerates better when you plant the pedal :D . that button was put there for a reason. Simples

• Like 1

noby76, ok thanks.

I'm still reading and am still deeply interested in this.

I'll search and find the inputs by 'Balance' again.

<understanding these things do get complicated and a bit technical aswell so I wouldnt really try to understand it technically all you need to know .... >

Of course you're right.

But I'm one of those odd people who like to know a lot about a little.

Most folks I know a little about a lot. Ha-ha

This thread has made it much easier for me to understand what is said in the Owner's Manual re. Automatic Transmission p156 -162

I was reading this section again last night and noticed something interesting.

The footnote on page 156 says "To improve fuel consumption and reduce noises (sic), set the shift lever in the D position for normal driving."

They do not mention the status of ECT PWR

So I'm assuming it is in "Normal mode"

Do you agree thqt is what they mean?

If so, these seems to contradict what the forums have been saying about ECT PWR giving better mpg ?

My brain is beginning to hurt again ... :-)

Argento

• Like 1

Yes you are right Argento shift lever in D without ECT PWR activated is normal mode and should give good consumption as stated in the manual but as you know some people like to experiment things and most have found ECT PWR improving or being no different to normal mode with regards to fuel consumption including my self but the difference is, it makes the car more fun to drive as its more responsive to the drivers commands but i must say I am getting these results in conjuction with using higher octane fuel. Shell V power for that matter. i think these results will boil down to how the driver is actually driving the car as everyone drives and steers slightly differently. only way to test this is top up your as you normally on weekly fuel with high octane, reset your trip computer and drive with ECT PWR activated for the week and make a note of roughly where the fuel guage level is sitting after the week against the miles travelled. then top up again with the same amount for the next coming week using normal unleaded, reset trip computer and turn ECT PWR off and drive the car as you did for the previous week. after the week make a not of the fuel guage level against the miles travelled and now compare the fuel level guage to that of the previous week guage and that will give you an answer as to which of the modes is more economical to the engine. obviously your weekly mileage should be consistent for both tests as mileage to work and back from mon - friday does not change for both.

• Like 1

UpSideDown, re. ..." F-sport performance intake .."

Do I already have this on my stock MY2011 F-Sport?

In any case, could you give us more details about this please?

Presumably it would affect my warranty?

Argento

noby76, <... shift lever in D without ECT PWR activated is normal mode and should give good consumption as stated in the manual... >

Ok good, that's crystal clear.

<... but as you know .... .....most have found ECT PWR improving or being no different to normal mode with regards to fuel consumption including my self .... "

Yes, I understand that too now. Thanks for the confirmation though.

<...I am getting these results in conjuction with using higher octane fuel. Shell V power for that matter.>

Yes, noted.

I am a big fan of V-Power.

I used it all the time in my last car, Golf GTI MkV.

VW and various German tuning firms recommended.

It used to fly, gave excellent mpg and ticked over like a sewing machine.

<i think these results will boil down to how the driver is actually driving the car as everyone drives ....>

Yes.

I think this is an important point.

I feel that it may have been overlooked by some of the others.

<only way to test this is top up your as you normally on weekly fuel with high octane, reset your trip .... >

I think I'll give this a try soon.

I now have a good feeling that my mpg will improve with ECT PWR on.

I went for a spin in the car this morning.

ECT PWR on all the time.

Fantastic.

Different car.

I have really missed the instant kick the GTI's turbo engine gave me.

Now, I have no lag at all.

Amazing.

Feels just like the GTI

Great.

Had the same feeling as a test drive in a Subaru WRX STi a couple of years ago.

Great feeling that makes the hairs on your neck stand on end!

I can't see me ever going back to D without ECT PWR

Argento

• Like 1

<...I am getting these results in conjuction with using higher octane fuel. Shell V power for that matter.>

Yes, noted.

I am a big fan of V-Power.

I used it all the time in my last car, Golf GTI MkV.

VW and various German tuning firms recommended.

It used to fly, gave excellent mpg and ticked over like a sewing machine.

I went for a spin in the car this morning.

ECT PWR on all the time.

Fantastic.

Different car.

I have really missed the instant kick the GTI's turbo engine gave me.

Now, I have no lag at all.

Amazing.

Feels just like the GTI

Great.

Had the same feeling as a test drive in a Subaru WRX STi a couple of years ago.

Great feeling that makes the hairs on your neck stand on end!

I can't see me ever going back to D without ECT PWR

Argento

same here an I know i keep banging on about this on other threads aswell but with this mode activated especially with M mode aswell which in your case will be S mode this car does fly like it has a turbo fitted to it on V power.. on my way to birmingham yesterday i bumped into a Subaru WRX RB270 estate which is known to pack 270bhp from its 2ltre turbo engine we where both on the fast lane, wanted to see if the IS300 can hang with it. ECT PWR was already activated as i now drive with it on all the time so i just flicked over to M mode dropped it to 3rd and hanged in there waiting..traffic in front cleared for us he was in front and floored it and i did the same and to my surprise the IS300 was keeping up with a 270bhp car which weighs less than it. ok the IS300 has 1 more litre and two more cylinders compared to the RB270 WRX but this car was turbo charged pumping 270bhp and i know when another driver has thier foot down and when they are just cruising and this dude had his foot down..obviously the road was clear so no other cars were put in danger but what i keep asking my self is how is the IS300 with only 210 bhp able to hung with some cars its not supposed to do if you go by the paper figures compared to that car... just out of curiosity i got home and checked the real weight of the RB270 estate and it weighs 1400kg which is a power-to-weight figure of 190bhp per tone ..IS300 only has 140bhp per tone which is a difference of 50bhp and that is a lot of horse power to make a difference . so again does Lexus intentionally lower thier cars power , torque and top speed figures on paper but the story becomes different in real world? or is thier engineering so good it does not need a lot of horse power to put its power down efffectively..as things like gearbox effeciency, airbox design, drag co-efficient and other factors contributes to a cars performance and not just a high BHP figure..e.g your IS250 auto is only down as 140mph top speed but go on you tube and you will see IS250's doing 161mph on the german autobhan with ease.

• Like 1

noby76, thanks. Very interesting.

Don't worry about banging on about it.

I could listen to stuff like this all day.

I believe VW in particular are also very conservative when they publish engine power etc. figures.

<e.g your IS250 auto is only down as 140mph top speed but go on you tube and you will see IS250's doing 161mph on the german autobhan with ease.>

Yes, I remember seeing that.

I can believe it .... ............... :devil:

I'm going back to Club Lexus now to finish reading that ECT PWR thread you put us on to.

Argento

• Like 1

noby76, I've finished all 24 pages!

You weren't kidding when you said "very long thread though" !

Really interesting. As you indicated at the outset.

I see the last post was by Balance on 25 August 2012.

He said he had found something interesting in the manual he got hold of.

But he has not come back?

So was Kurtz right?

One thing did occur to me while reading all this.

Was there a Lexus transmission engineer in Japan responsible for developing the ECT PWR function, having a good chuckle at all these exchanges?

As someone said in the thread, with hindsight it would have been nice if we could just have asked a Lexus Japan what the answer was.

Argento

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links