Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squealing Noise When Cold?

RNUK

Afternoon all.

A long registered member here, but just a mere bystander if you will. But as I, like many is200 owners in the UK sit at home because I can't get into work, I thought I'd post a question.

Over the last week my 2001 IS has developed a squealing noise from the engine when cold. It sounds exactly like a fan belt slipping, but I didn't think this was possible because the IS has electric fans?

It's due a timing belt in the next 10,000 and overdue a service (hectic and expensive year last year!)

As much as I love the car and nothing has or probably will compare to it, it's got to go for a whole list of reasons (mainly beginning and ending with the damn recession which has hit us hard) but if its not financially viable to fix this squeal before selling then I may as well fix and enjoy until the inevitable happens.

Thanks in advance

It's prob just a loose belt fella. There's 3 Aux belts at the front of the engine could be one of those.

Does it get louder when you turn the steering wheel and steering feels a bit 'lumpy' (power steering belt)

Does it get louder when you turn the A/C on? (A/C belt)

Does it get louder when you put extra electrical load on the car such as headlights on or heated rear windscreen etc? (Alternator belt)

Thanks.

Doesn't get louder when the wheel is turned, but I have noticed the power steering (again when cold) is a little lumpy, but only for the first couple of minutes. Squeal doesn't increase with electrics, although noticed the windows are a little slower to go down/up now. AC hasn't been on for months.

It increases with rev's (just as with a fan belt) but it does go when the car is warm.

So a couple of belt replacements you reckon?

You don't have a fan belt as the rad fans are electrically driven.

A loose alternator belt will give those symptoms, I've had it before but it never went when the car was warm. My power steering belt squeals first thing in the morning at low temps then disappears once warm. It's brand new and correct tension so I'm just putting it down to it not liking the cold or at worst power steering pump is giving up :(

Yours Could just need tightening/loosening, always first thing to check when you get a squeeling belt. But if your worried its only £55 at Lexus to replace all 3 belts :)

Could be wrong but it does sound like the power steering belt. Does it look a wee bit old/tiddly bit cracked/bit shiny on the inside contact faces?

Change the lot... better safe than sorry...assuming you dont have a record of when last changed.

Mine is also a bit squeeky when cold but soon quietens out when it warms up. Im replacing all my belts in the next month or two, will report back. btw how much do you expect to get for your IS? they seem to be loosing there value by the minute, not looking forward to the time i sell mine!

Bought mine 6 years ago for 7.5k, looked at trading 2 years ago and was offered £500!!! It's not in great condition I'll admit but I want a bit more than a monkey for it!

Bought mine 6 years ago for 7.5k, looked at trading 2 years ago and was offered £500!!! It's not in great condition I'll admit but I want a bit more than a monkey for it!

Thats dealers for you. When i was looking to buy a IS a dealer offered me £500 trade in for my previous car book value was 2150, i managed to sell it for £1750 privately on autotrader and just went and bought a IS with cash the same day, more hassle but you dont loose out.

The more forums I read about this on the IS200 the more I think it just doesn't like the cold. So many threads on lumpy steering and chirping power steering belt in the winter that magically disappears come the spring then starts again the following winter...

So got in my car today. A lot milder this morning, the car was reading 11'C outside temp. First time it had been higher than 1'C for over a week!

Started the car, no belt squeel. Drive off, no lumpy steering. So the weather got 10 degrees warmer and the squeeling belt and lumpy steering have gone.

Coincidence? Make your own minds up. :)

Yet to drive mine today yet but fingers crossed! Will change anyway for the cost, can't hurt.

No overheating, only time it over heated was a couple of years ago when the rad went.

Ok, so no such luck for me with the warmer weather. Power steering belt it is and I think the alternator belt as well. How much can I expect a replacement to be?

I too have the squeal on cold mornings, but I think its the water pump, as I appear to be losing water as well.I expect Lexus in exeter will charge a fortune as I got a quote to change the front wheel bearing and they wanted £510 incl, needless to say I didnt get it done there...

The belts if not cracked and are in good condition may just need tightened. I put brand new belts on in the summer and never squealed until the first cold snap but a few turns on the tensioners sorted it for free.

As for the lumpy steering, mine had that too. Get a bottle of ATF fluid a pair of pliers and a plastic jug. Take the thicker hose off and hold it in the jug.Fluid will run out of the bottom of the reservoir so catch that in the jug. Bring a rag to catch any spills Get your missus to start the car and turn the wheel side to side until the fluid is all out. Switch off engine, refit hose and refill reservoir with fluid. No more lumpy steering on a cold morning!

As for the lumpy steering, mine had that too. Get a bottle of ATF fluid a pair of pliers and a plastic jug. Take the thicker hose off and hold it in the jug.Fluid will run out of the bottom of the reservoir so catch that in the jug. Bring a rag to catch any spills Get your missus to start the car and turn the wheel side to side until the fluid is all out. Switch off engine, refit hose and refill reservoir with fluid. No more lumpy steering on a cold morning!

I'm doing this as my lumpy steering was back today but still no belt squeeling. Lexus say the power steering fluid is good for the life of a car! I don't agree with this.

Thankyou :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links