Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow? Its All Over

noby76

get the name right transporter.. you might need specsavers..

if you would like a manual then go ahead and build your self one using Supra/ Getrag gearbox with slight fabrications and be happy..

hang on a minute?? you sold an IS300 for IS200 because it was auto??

the IS300 is every thing IS200 sport and even more. in other words you seem to be the terminally baffled.. why get rif of something better for something not soo better. its not like the 300 wont handle like the IS200 sport and the IS200 will be outgunned even with the not soo good auto box as you claim.

You don't read! You misread threads and then go all defensive for no reason.

1. You seem to have read somewhere that I mark the Toyota brand down? I do not. In fact I really like Toyota and it's reliability hence having one on my drive since 2006!! Please read my posts correctly.

2. If I want a car with a smaller engine doesn't mean I can't afford one with a bigger engine. I've had a 4.4 740 and RR in the past.

3. You base your opinion on one low end BMW you've owned in the past. I wouldn't like to own a pre-facelift 520 either!

4. I have answered all your questions and asked you some questions in post 221 of which you haven't answered any off. You go round in circles or change the subject to something you think you know about.

5. Most posts have been constructive in this thread until you are trying to argue points that aren't even relevant. I tried to keep it on topic but you start blabbing on about your IS will be outrunning this that and other.

Please read posts carefully before filling a post with some random text that comes into your head.

Ray all your question have been answered and i do read posts carefuly. if you did own a 4.4 litre then why ask Lexus for a 3 litre LS then?? if you wasnt talking lexus down why bring up such a statement?? you could have just said 'Is Lexus not meant to be a Luxury brand' and i can answer you by saying 'Yes it is but the IS model was built with more sporty emphasis than Luxury'

Ray all your question have been answered and i do read posts carefuly.

Never a straight answer eh...

if you did own a 4.4 litre then why ask Lexus for a 3 litre LS then??

I wouldn't buy another 4.4 or 4.0 anyway. If the LS was available in a 3 litre then I would definitely have one. Economy is bad and there's no point wasting money on extra fuel.

if you wasnt talking lexus down why bring up such a statement??

It wasn't a statement merely suggesting that Lexus was the more luxurious side of Toyota and people expect more from one compared to a Toyota.

'Yes it is but the IS model was built with more sporty emphasis than Luxury'

It was build as a luxury middle class saloon actually.

You're digging yourself a hole again...

tbf if your worried about MPG, if the LS had a 3.0L it would probably do worse on fuel lol

Thank you Petay. the 3litre will struggle to shift that almost 2 ton weight of the LS

tbf if your worried about MPG, if the LS had a 3.0L it would probably do worse on fuel lol

Thank you Petay. the 3litre will struggle to shift that almost 2 ton weight of the LS

I would 'shift' it without any problem actually. It's not a nearly 2-ton car. It's just over 1700.

To put this in respective as you love you're BM's Noddy, the E38 7-Series (which we agree is equivalent to an LS) weighs 5 kilo more and 'shifts' fine with a 2.8 litre engine and fuel consumption is much better than the 4.0 and 4.4.

True in some cases. but ive seen it many times where car manufactures have tried to put to a small engine in a big car and later discontinuing it for a larger one that gives same or better MPG

edit: just re-read. for some reason i thought you were talking about 2Jz, which would never have enough power for a LS.... but yeah LS could potentially get better MPG with a 3.0L engineered to produce enough power, much like jaguar has just done with XJ now available with a SC 3.0L V6

hang on a minute?? you sold an IS300 for IS200 because it was auto??

the IS300 is every thing IS200 sport and even more. in other words you seem to be the terminally baffled.. why get rif of something better for something not soo better. its not like the 300 wont handle like the IS200 sport and the IS200 will be outgunned even with the not soo good auto box as you claim.

I like to feel that the rear wheels are attached to the engine by something more than pancake syrup...For a small car, there is no substitute for a manual gearbox..... Assuming you can operate one.

haha thign weigs 1500KG so its not a small car. a fiesta is a small car not a 1500kg four door car. there is no substitute for a manual gearbox?? thought we have already had this discussion in another thread transporter?? if manual boxes were soo good, why would all modern high performance cars come with an utomatic gerbox in some shape or form? be it tiptronic, SMG, DSG, semi-auto, CVT's and the likes??

read my lips again transporter..

mordern day automatic boxes are rendering manual gearboxes usesless when it comes to performance due to very intelligent ECU's and ETCS-i's? so gone are the days when autoboxes trailled behind manuals with regards to performance and mpg in fact most high performace cars automatic models retun better mpg and are faster to respond to the foot than manuals. in a nut shell a computer can react and select gears faster both upshifts and downshifts than you can clutch down. because the auto gearbox, engine and throttle pedal and sometime steering are all linked to each other Electronically

@Transporter and matt -

why dont you two just get an IS300 and make your self happy. go on you know you want one as all you can talk about is my IS300. dont know what the problem is, maybe envy?? i hope not as IS300's could be picked up for less than £3000 so its not Ferrari money

I haven't mentioned your car. I was talking about snow. The picture was a bit of a giveaway...

www.shouldvegonetospecsavers.com

haha thign weigs 1500KG so its not a small car. a fiesta is a small car not a 1500kg four door car.

It's an 1100kg 5 door car. Not a lot in it really...

if manual boxes were soo good, why would all modern high performance cars come with an utomatic gerbox in some shape or form? be it tiptronic, SMG, DSG, semi-auto, CVT's and the likes??

Because people are lazy

mordern day automatic boxes are rendering manual gearboxes usesless when it comes to performance due to very intelligent ECU's and ETCS-i's? so gone are the days when autoboxes trailled behind manuals with regards to performance and mpg in fact most high performace cars automatic models retun better mpg and are faster to respond to the foot than manuals. in a nut shell a computer can react and select gears faster both upshifts and downshifts than you can clutch down. because the auto gearbox, engine and throttle pedal and sometime steering are all linked to each other Electronically

Can you go from 4th to 2nd in one move with your auto box? Or 1st to 5th?

Thought not...

Anyway, what's this got to do with snow? Or are you going off topic again?

too late matt party over ..

What a non answer. Not surprising since you've just been proved wrong AGAIN for not reading posts properly AGAIN...

haha thign weigs 1500KG so its not a small car. a fiesta is a small car not a 1500kg four door car. there is no substitute for a manual gearbox?? thought we have already had this discussion in another thread transporter?? if manual boxes were soo good, why would all modern high performance cars come with an utomatic gerbox in some shape or form? be it tiptronic, SMG, DSG, semi-auto, CVT's and the likes??

As has already been said, SMGs, DSGs and the like are a great marketing tool for people like you who think that numbers on a website are the be all and end all....They are also a super way of extracting money from the car owner or getting an otherwise servicable car off the road and into the breakers yard so that you have to buy anothe new car....The VAG DSG system is great when it works, costs a fortune to service and when it fails it is more cost effective to scrap the car....These trinkets are marketing tools... ECUs are intelligent? Well maybe next to you they are...They take the data given, process it and then act upon the outcome....No intelligence there and definately no original thought..

But the IS gearbox is an old system and still relies on a torque converter... Tough, reliable but hardly ground breaking or efficient...Great for those who can't co-ordinate their hands and feet..Or brain....

• Like 1

Just watched this weeks WOT episode and since were on the (off) topic on manual and autos might be of interest :)

@matt

matt 400KG is a lot of weight and if you think am wrong, loose 400KG in your IS200 and let me know if you can accelrate and take corners faster than it is now.

reason for having autoboxes is not cus peopl are lazy matt. let me give you and example.

car A has manual box and cable control throtle system

car B has a modern electronic conttrolled sport auto box and electronic control throttle system.

now all things being equal, the sport auto box will shift smoother, be more effecient and will be faster than car A matt cus if both cars floored it in 1st gear, the throttle pedal can send signals to the electronic throttle system opening it faster than the old school cable operated throttle can react or open and whilst car A needs to lift off the throttle, cluth down, change gear and apply the throttle pedal again, car B wont have to lift off the throttle to change gears gearbox will select 2nd gear whilst the foot is still down car goes into 2nd gear automatically and guess what? the electronic trottle is already opened so 'flat spots' will be eliminated.

yes matt 4th to second can be done in one move if the ECU deems it ok, the car will kick down from 4th or 5th instantley and like i said because its electronically controlled, throttle system will be opened instantly aswell.

@transporter

my auto IS300 returns preety much same mpg as your manual IS200. so guess what big man, i regard that as an efficient box. lets put cost aside, mordern autoboxes are rederring manual boxes useless.

@matt

matt 400KG is a lot of weight and if you think am wrong, loose 400KG in your IS200 and let me know if you can accelrate and take corners faster than it is now.

Actually no, it's not. It's not even 50% of its weight. So yes, there's not a lot in it...

reason for having autoboxes is not cus peopl are lazy matt. let me give you and example.

car A has manual box and cable control throtle system

car B has a modern electronic conttrolled sport auto box and electronic control throttle system.

We're talking about gear boxes. Not throttle controls....

now all things being equal, the sport auto box will shift smoother, be more effecient and will be faster than car A matt cus if both cars floored it in 1st gear, the throttle pedal can send signals to the electronic throttle system opening it faster than the old school cable operated throttle can react or open and whilst car A needs to lift off the throttle, cluth down, change gear and apply the throttle pedal again, car B wont have to lift off the throttle to change gears gearbox will select 2nd gear whilst the foot is still down car goes into 2nd gear automatically and guess what? the electronic trottle is already opened so 'flat spots' will be eliminated.

Gearboxes. Not throttles...

yes matt 4th to second can be done in one move if the ECU deems it ok, the car will kick down from 4th or 5th instantley and like i said because its electronically controlled, throttle system will be opened instantly aswell.

I can select any gear at any time. Can you do that in your auto?

@transporter

my auto IS300 returns preety much same mpg as your manual IS200. so guess what big man, i regard that as an efficient box. lets put cost aside, mordern autoboxes are rederring manual boxes useless.

Nothing to do with the gearbox. Has to do with the efficiency of the engine. Not the gearbox.

#Jesus wept

^ ^ ^ i like you Transporter

Mr Noby, as ECU's are clever the last post you have made is irrelevant as you can have software put onto the ECU so you can FLAT FLOOR SHIFT in a manual

Why do you boast so much that is300 is the best car and nothing is better or ever will be,

@ matt

you cannot select any gear at any time matt. dont beleive me?? hope in your car drive to 80mph and see if it will slot from 5th to 2nd gear. try this and let me know matt.

and gearboxes and throttles work hand in hand pal. you cant have a car operating without those two.

@mikey

trace back to this thread and let me know who mentioned my IS300 first. grap a cuppa whilst you at it cus its a long one.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links