Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New :) Thinking Of Getting An Is220D

Lozmachine

Hi all

New to the forum.

I'm considering buying a Lexus IS220D and was just wondering what advice, if any, you can give on what to look for etc. I am in the process of selling up my Mazda 3 MPS mk1.

I've looked through a load of posts about fuel economy etc but has anyone got a strict list of things to check when I go to look at a car?

Also, I really like the look of the multimedia pack including the sat nav etc but unfortunately most of the cars I find with that installed are either out of my budget, or don't include the other things I want! How much does it cost to put that in separately?

I'm interested in modifying the car slightly when I get it too, wondering if anyone can make any recommendations on remap/lowering sellers.

Lastly, does anyone know any for sale in Hertfordshire? If anyone is looking to swap for a 3MPS then let me know, if not I need to buy from dealer for finance reasons.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to LOC.

Do a lot of research on this car. Read through this forum regarding head gaskets, DPF filter...That's all I'm saying :)

The 1 thing you do need to be aware of, and I'm not slating the car or trying to upset the diesel owners but Lexus extended the warranty to 7 years, 110k miles because of a design fault with the head gasket. and to be covered by this the car has to have a Full Lexus Service History.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for the reply.

I am doing plenty of research, i've already read about the needing to clean EGR and DPF filter etc so I've been planning for the EGR delete etc.

Thanks for the info, not sure whether to be reassured or not by it! I was told by a few people this is one of the most reliable engines/cars so I'm hopeful!

Check them out carefully with regards to issues they have shown be having in the past and present time.

There are good ones and bad ones buy from a dealer for the warranty if possible for piece of mind cover if it goes pear shaped and some of the old problem show face

But read on this forum there are many a story or problem that can be read here

If it helps at all.

I had a 220d and the head gasket went at 106,000mls. Had FLSH and it was sorted....thank heavens! I liked the car and it gave me 39mpg around town and up to 54mpg on a long run (around France, Bournemouth to Scotland for eg). My son now has it....thanks Dad!

I now have a 250 SEL MM and it is just fab in every way. I get 28-31mpg around town and 39mpg on a run. I have not done an extended run yet..only had it 4 months.

Try both and make your own choice...but go in with your eyes open. For what it's worth the 250 manual is £460 road tax, the 250 Auto is £270 road tax. I have the Auto and I can honestly say the auto gearbox is just great. Whatever you get should have FLSH in my opinion.

My colleague had a IS220D SE-L 57 plate company car and having used it myself quite it a bit, it wasn't among the diesels i'd pick. Very noisy and not particularly quick. This one also had to have complete engine rebuild under warranty due to excessive oil consumption, which didn't solve it. On top of that it wasn't very ecomoic. My mate did a 200mile round trip commute most days mainly motorways and drove pretty slowly and was getting 35-37mpg. When he had a IS250 Auto while the engine was apart he still managed 35mpg in that. Hey it may be a just a one off, but unless you really need the diesel, I'd head towards a IS250 Auto every-time, if its an IS you want that is.

The mpg economy does seem to vary a lot within the single marque of the 200d/220d which is somewhat unsettling. Have to admit maybe I was lucky. My son gets 48 without trying too hard. Yes it's noisy at tick over.. All diesels are...unless they are wrapped in duvets. Up and running mine was remarkably quiet and went like billy-o with the turbo. I have to say it was an absolute pleasure to take a long journey in.

Mind you I am totally hooked on my 250 auto....so glad I got one! It is like gliding around an Aladdin's carpet. Wife has taken a shine to it now too....dammit!

An important question?

Are you doing a lot of mileage per year. Thinking maybe 18,000+ annual mileage.

You need to be doing biggish runs in this car.. Not short work runs. The engine/DPF needs to get good and hot to perform all its functions properly. Short journeys are likely to lead to sooting up of the engine/EGR/DPF . Please consider this carefully.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links