Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying/service Advice - Ls400/430

assuming I find a car that is structurally/mechanically/cosmetically sound i would like to give it a minor service for peace of mind.

Is there anything missing from the below that i should attend to ? (driveshaft lube etc?) or indeed anything below that i shouldn't bother with or that could be a pain in the arse?

Engine Oil + filter change

Gearbox oil change

Fuel filter change

Air and cabin filter change

Cooling system fluid change

Spark plug change

I've changed all the above myself on jeeps/4x4's many times but maybe a different kettle on an LS ?

cheers

marty

Earlier Topics on some or all of these specifics .... somewhere:

If my memory serves me, In essence:

maybe it's best NOT to self change ( or indeed ever try to change ) the Gearbox Oil. And beware of using absolutely the correct oil too.

The Cooling System change can take forever to show a refill to the proper constant reservoir level. Might need topping-up for ages and ages with normal driving and motoring.

Malc

All really straight forward there is even a removable part panel inner left wheel arch front for the oil filter on the 400. Spark plugs are at 60k intervals, If you want a full gearbox flush 20 litres I would go to lexus about £140.

thanks Mark, didn't think any of it could be too hard.

i will probably just do a drain and refill on the gearbox oil, although its only replacing 15% of the total it makes so much difference on a 4x4 so suspect its worth doing on an LS.

malc, why do you advise against it? surely is only removal of pan and filter?

Hi, I would change the brake fluid if it has not been done in the last two years . Also take the wheels off and check the condition of the brake pads discs etc , both the LS400's I have purchased had the rear pads and discs shot away ,you cant always tell by how they stop both seemed to be fine on test drives.

Good luck with your LS hunting.

Hi Jiogmaster

My only experience / learning is from picking up on the various threads on this Forum.

I'm not advising against, just commenting on what I have seen perhaps being the concensus relating to the LS400 ................ not the LS430.

ManicMark suggests above, going to Lexus for the Gear Box full 20 litre flush and refill at £140 ......... not a DIY prospect maybe on this specifically.

Memory says, I think, that partial drain and fill might be a total waste of time on the LS400............ untouched it's an incredibly smooth gearbox.

In 10 years of driving 3 X LS400s:, Mk1 and Mk2 and now the Mk3 and covering perhaps 150,000 miles, I have never had to have a gearbox even topped-up ! not even ( knowingly ) on scheduled servicing.

Malc

Gearbox, if it's a facelift 2004 then buy 10 litres of WS fluid.

Drain and fill the pan. Then undo one of the cooler lines, start engine, push out 2 litres, refrill 2 litres into pan, etc etc keep going until all your 10 litres are used up.

What I did, easiest and least mess.

Don't power flush, no good for the transmisions, and dont just do the pan and refill as it will only doing 2 litres that way.

For some reason I doubt Lexus are charging £140 to flush the WS transmission. The fluid is about £6.50 a litre.....

More likely thing they are doing is draining and filling just the transmission pan which equates to about 2-3 litres.

To top if off the manual indicates to drain the fluid from the pan in the Lexus dealer service program.

assuming I find a car that is structurally/mechanically/cosmetically sound i would like to give it a minor service for peace of mind.

Is there anything missing from the below that i should attend to ? (driveshaft lube etc?) or indeed anything below that i shouldn't bother with or that could be a pain in the arse?

Engine Oil + filter change

Gearbox oil change

Fuel filter change

Air and cabin filter change

Cooling system fluid change

Spark plug change

I've changed all the above myself on jeeps/4x4's many times but maybe a different kettle on an LS ?

cheers

marty

I am not sure why you would change the gear box oil and coolant unless it was required. The coolant is a pain because the system is sealed and an airlock is easy to achieve. The car will tell you when the cabin air filter need changing. If the car has been dealer maintained then see if you can get the service history - I keep all my bill so have the full 9 yards. I don't believe you will gain any peace of mind by changing things unless they are needed - I never have in 11 years. The gear box is something to be careful of because of the cooling system - it can leak into it. You could find a friendly dealer and chat them up with a promise of work - I suppose. If there is no history available I'll bet a dealer will recommend the big service with all fluid changes :)

Bren

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links