Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I put a deposit down on a 57 plate GS450h on Friday and had a call from the dealer this morning confirming that I should be able to collect the car this weekend after they have sorted out the bodywork and wheels.

I've owned some fast cars in the past but nothing that offers this kind of luxury along with the performance so I am rather excited. No doubt I'll be spending a fair bit of time reading over the forum in the next few days so apologies if these are well covered topics but I do have a few questions that I hope you guys can help out with.

The car doesn't have aux/usb input so looking for a 3rd party solution and have come across Vaistech who seem well rated. Does anyone have experience with the Android phone interface as this looks ideal for replacing the standard fit Sat Nav with something more modern?

Whilst the limited boot space shouldn't be a problem for me I am looking for a way of best utilising it, I understand that Lexus offered some rather expensive custom luggage but has anyone found a good and reasonably priced off the shelf solution?

Does the engine have a timing belt or chain? Should I be on the lookout for a big service at a particular age/mileage?

Any random hits/tips for a new owner?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Hi, glad to see another of these amazing cars near to me.

I tried a Vaistech in my 450h SE L 2006 but could not get it to work so lost all the import duty on a refund!

Timing chain so no huge service, just alternates A or B services.

Small boot, brilliant no family airport runs!

Only other tip "ENJOY"

Not got an android phone myself but have the Lexus iPod integration and it works pretty well, I keep my iPod in the car and change the tracks occasionally when I get bored of them! my disc changer is redundant hehe!

Don't know about the luggage option, I just use standard sports bag types when me and the Mrs go away, we went to Portugal recently and had to put the large suitcases on the back seat which was a pain but not a big problem for me really!

Service wise they arent the cheapest but the dealers seem to fall over themselves to help you out! 60k/120k service isnt cheap £600+ if I remember correctly! They offered me a 5year+ service at my interim oil/filter change which was cheaper at £160 inc VAT, they offer this on vehicles that are 5years or older!

Enjoy :driving:

I put a deposit down on a 57 plate GS450h on Friday and had a call from the dealer this morning confirming that I should be able to collect the car this weekend after they have sorted out the bodywork and wheels.

I've owned some fast cars in the past but nothing that offers this kind of luxury along with the performance so I am rather excited. No doubt I'll be spending a fair bit of time reading over the forum in the next few days so apologies if these are well covered topics but I do have a few questions that I hope you guys can help out with.

The car doesn't have aux/usb input so looking for a 3rd party solution and have come across Vaistech who seem well rated. Does anyone have experience with the Android phone interface as this looks ideal for replacing the standard fit Sat Nav with something more modern?

Whilst the limited boot space shouldn't be a problem for me I am looking for a way of best utilising it, I understand that Lexus offered some rather expensive custom luggage but has anyone found a good and reasonably priced off the shelf solution?

Does the engine have a timing belt or chain? Should I be on the lookout for a big service at a particular age/mileage?

I have recently been in contact with Vaistech and they tell me that there are no UK agencies so you would have to import, they tell me the courier (UPS)cost is $85 and then you would be liable to import duty and possibly VAT. They tell me that there ar three products suitable for the IS250. these being the SL3i - the MML and the ML Plus. You would need to check with them for the products suitable for your own car

tonyricha, can you remember what the import duty cost you, and did you have to pay VAT ?

coneybiller, can I ask you please, does the Lexus iPod integration kit give you touch-screen control or not? Are there any details available on-line showing what you get and the current cost.

Thank you

Thank you for your comments so far.

I have recently been in contact with Vaistech and they tell me that there are no UK agencies so you would have to import, they tell me the courier (UPS)cost is $85 and then you would be liable to import duty and possibly VAT. They tell me that there ar three products suitable for the IS250. these being the SL3i - the MML and the ML Plus. You would need to check with them for the products suitable for your own car

tonyricha, can you remember what the import duty cost you, and did you have to pay VAT ?

coneybiller, can I ask you please, does the Lexus iPod integration kit give you touch-screen control or not? Are there any details available on-line showing what you get and the current cost.

Thank you

I'm going to be across in the US at the end of March so I'd most likely get one of my US colleagues to order one for me ahead of time and and give him the cash when I get there.

If the Android one won't work (need a 5th generation or better Lexus system) then I'd have to have a think as I'm having some dirty thoughts about using a Raspberry Pi in conjunction with XBMC and an audio/video input for the headunit.

Yes import duty plus VAT, sorry can not remember how much but it just would not work,I even employed an auto electrician to fit it, he also gave up. Lost all sound output (sat nav, phone and audio) when connected.

Later got Lexus M.K. to fit I Pod kit which works wizzard at much less cost.

Yes import duty plus VAT, sorry can not remember how much but it just would not work,I even employed an auto electrician to fit it, he also gave up. Lost all sound output (sat nav, phone and audio) when connected.

Later got Lexus M.K. to fit I Pod kit which works wizzard at much less cost.

Have you got any detail of the iPod kit and do you get touch-screen control or is it all done from the ipod?

yes you do get touch screen control and track/artist listing but not when the wheels are turning, use the up and down keys on steering wheel/ audio facia. Supplied and fitted by Lexus centre about £120??

yes you do get touch screen control and track/artist listing but not when the wheels are turning, use the up and down keys on steering wheel/ audio facia. Supplied and fitted by Lexus centre about £120??

Thank you for this info Tony, I will speak to my local Lexus dealership and get a quote. Thank you again.

• 7 months later...

Any pictures of this in action?

Had a call earlier and the car is ready for collection tomorrow.

jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon-2.gif

Hi Del Lardo,

I`m close to purchasing a 450h...did you get yours and how is it going?

Are you pleased with it and any disappointments?

Regards

John

The car is currently having a 10000 mile service so covered 10000 miles in about 7 months and it has done exactly what I expected. Quiet and comfortably on a run, stereo is excellent, fuel economy is acceptable for the performance and size of car (see signature) and the straight line performance is grin inducing.

Don't be fooled that this is a car that brakes or handles well though, it can cross country at a good rate but heavy braking a cornering really show up the cars weight, not a concern for tootling around town or on the motorway but worth bearing in mind should you find yourself on A/B roads on a regular basis.

Overall, really happy with the car and would definitely recommend one.

Any pictures of this in action?

I'll try and grab a video when car is back from the garage.

Body control has improved with the new G4, but to be honest it's not the weight of the car thats the problem; it's the sloppy suspension., My old 5 series was the same weight, but it handled very well, though the ride was hard!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links