Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Is200 Owner

Hi Everyone,

Just purchased a 2000 plate IS200 SE (160K on clock) in Black which has many many faults but is still great to drive. I am after a few pointers and I apologise now if these questions have already been asked.

Radio - When I bought it the radio didnt work and upon further investigation I found that the amp is missing as a previous owner has probably put an aftermarket system in. The radio I have has a tape a and cd player with 2 connectors at the back but I can only find one in the wiring loom that fits (small connecters - look like speaker wires) - if I replace the amp where does this other connector come from ?

Washer bottle - it appears mine has a leak, are they easy to get to and is it likely a pipe has come off instead of a hole ? I know you cant say without seeing it but just wondering if this is quite common ?

Thanks everyone and I look forward to coming on here lots.

Al.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

The radio has 2 sockets on the back but one is for the sat nav where fitted, The plug you see leads to the amp.

The amp is usually located at the side of the glove box, when you come to replace it you will find 2 plugs a large and small one. Should work then.

Washer bottle could be a leak from a pipe, You will have to either remove or pull back passenger wheel arch liner to see.

Let us know what happens.

Hi Stuart,

Im going to keep the aftermarket ones for the time being as i have just had to replace one of the rears which wasnt cheap !lol If I can sort some of the niggles out then I hope to keep the car for a while.

Al

I've found, with mine, replacing stuff is relatively easy. The guys on the site are brilliant with advice and parts (ianIS200) I've had a radio unit and replacement tools that were missing from mine . . .

Had the previous owner serviced the car regularily?

Judging by the state of the car the previous owner didnt do much in the way of servicing - its something I intend to do quite soon is get it in for fluids & filters etc and a general once over - I'm pretty sure I have a whiney wheel bearing , either that or the diff is whining but im not sure.

Welcome to the club Allan, these cars are nice cars even ones with high mileages and hopefully you will sort all the issues out.

Sometimes its best to spend a bit more ££'s buying a car with less problems than spending less buying a car with more problems. e.g lets say you picked up the IS for £500 by the time you spend £200 here a £100 there £150 there £200 for cambelt, £50 for spark plugs and so on it would have totalled about a £1000 or even more which will equate to an IS with less mileage, service history, tax and mot etc going for £1500 the difference is you wouldnt spend time and energy fixing the second one compared to the first. Hopefully all will be sorted mate..

Ive found that out ! lol , gave it a real nice clean when i got it and found the paintwork was terrible but still gleamed ok but now its dirty it looks cr@p :msn-oh:

Just means I will have to wash it more often ! Kids can earn their pocket money ..

Try cleaning the car with a mop polisher (electric polisher) with g3 paste and it may make a difference, have you ever seen edd chyna on wheeler dealers when he brings up tired paintwork ,he does this .

mine leaks screen wash, so im guessing it might be common. Found it was a pipe for headlight washer jets, I made a thread about it somewhere. You canreplace the whole thing for £50ish ffrom a breaker but could prob fix the pipe,prob just a O ring...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mate, I'm a new owner too with things that need doing and the help I've found on here is fantastic :)

Im certain I've made the right choice and like you, intend to get everything running as it should be soon, I'm hopefully keeping this one for a good few years yet

you wont see it from underneath btw, i took that from peeling the wheel arch liner away.... either way too cold for sure! lol. The 2nd pic i found on eBay from someone breaking a IS. They had the whole front end removed

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links