Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice In Rx300

Hi

I currently drive an Ls400 but am looking at a 51 reg rx300. Can anyone give me some advice on what to look out for? Also my main question is, do they have gearbox issues?

Thanks in advance.

HI Messi

51 is getting on a bit but for a good car I would not agree with Mr Roberts (who in my experience is always rather negative in his comments). I am still using a Toyota Surf M registered (1994) which, although scruffy, is mechanically sound and has only let me down once (recently when the batteries gave out). If the RX 300 has been well maintained and has not done more than about 100K I would buy it if it was cheap enough. Expect it to be thirsty and check the structure is sound (? get AA/RAC inspection or knowledgeable friend to look it over if its a private sale). Check when the cam belt/chain was last changed and be prepared to do this if in doubt if its a belt (not sure about this - seems to be a bit controversial on the 300). May be best to avoid the SEL in case you get problems with the air suspension.

Bon courage

Mike

Hi,

I actually have a 2001 RX300, it has never let me down, is immaculate, has a full service history!

As to gearbox problems Lexus say that the gearbox oil does not need changing, this is rubbish, if you check the US forums the gearboxes on RX300 were failing between 120 and 140 thousand miles on boxes where the oil was not changed, so make sure it has a good service history, service the gearbox as soon as you get it ( Lexus Sheffield did mine for £50 ), make sure cam belts been done, and no engine warning lights are showing!

Also if when you look at it, it has not got 4 good make tyres, walk away, if you cant afford decent tyres, you cant afford to look after it properly!

Cheers Jason

HI Messi

51 is getting on a bit but for a good car I would not agree with Mr Roberts (who in my experience is always rather negative in his comments). I am still using a Toyota Surf M registered (1994) which, although scruffy, is mechanically sound and has only let me down once (recently when the batteries gave out). If the RX 300 has been well maintained and has not done more than about 100K I would buy it if it was cheap enough. Expect it to be thirsty and check the structure is sound (? get AA/RAC inspection or knowledgeable friend to look it over if its a private sale). Check when the cam belt/chain was last changed and be prepared to do this if in doubt if its a belt (not sure about this - seems to be a bit controversial on the 300). May be best to avoid the SEL in case you get problems with the air suspension.

Bon courage

Mike

You may think it negative to caution against older cars of this type. However I have said that they are capable of soldiering on BUT there are increasing numbers of people with such elderly cars seeking help on this forum. That speaks for itself. You need to be prepared fro problems occurring, some may be irritating, some expensive.

HI Messi

Bon courage

Mike

You may think it negative to caution against older cars of this type. However I have said that they are capable of soldiering on BUT there are increasing numbers of people with such elderly cars seeking help on this forum. That speaks for itself. You need to be prepared fro problems occurring, some may be irritating, some expensive.

Isn't that the point of this forum? To ask for help - regardless of the car's age??

HI Messi

Bon courage

Mike

Isn't that the point of this forum? To ask for help - regardless of the car's age??

But it is also a consideration to be taken into account when considering buying one of this age. The Lexus is thought by some to be bullet proof, examples of its failings are very relevant in answering the OP's query.

• 6 months later...

Just bought myself a '53 plate, lovely machine. Going to be using it as a third car, a bit of a work horse but to be honest, it is a bit too nice for that. Excellent interior, all the gadgets, just not been given any love by its previous owners so I will be sorting it out over the next couple of months. Bring it back to its former glory. Hopefully I will have no problems but we shall see how things go.

Cheers

Stuart

If it is like any other Lexus-Toyota check for sticky calipers, signs of wear on disks.

Regarding comments of it is pasts it's design life, I would not agree.

I had a Toyota Supra (1995 model, 3 years ago) and it was perfect apart from service items that I needed to change for the 1yr I had it. Sticky calipers the only problem and CrankShaft pulley seperating... common fault in these and some Lexus's apparently (Lexus had a recall for some models).

After the Supra bought my Lexus IS300 (2002 model( and that had 6 owners BUT I cherished it and made it like a new car, sticky calipers the only problem.

I now bought a Lexus GS300 (1998 model) with 2 owners from new and that also is a fantastic car!!, I had to change the throttle body but I see this as a service item as the car was 15yo when I bought it. Oh and yes... sticky calipers on this one as well.

So purely the expecations you have from a used car to be honest. You can expect it to be perfect and you always allow in the buying price for some repairs to be done in the near future :)

As you see the main problem that I can fault Toyota's Lexus's are Sticky/Seized Calipers.

So check for cambelt if it has been done

Calipers / Disks

And as previously said I would schedule at some point to change the gearbox oil (by the way Toyota does not sell the ATF oil to the public... they only sell it to you if they do the change them selves....).

Hi,

Just to clarify, toyota does sell type iv to the public, qouted me £62.80 on phone for 5 litres, only charged me £50 when I went to collect from burrells rotherham. 15000 mile drain and change for mk1 rx300 transmissions are essential, and very easy for the home mechanic.DO NOT FLUSH/POWER FLUSH YOUR RX300 TRANSMISSION. Also simple to change diff and transfer box fluid and cheap. Also quality discs and pads quite cheap off of eBay.

Cheers Jason

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links