Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Sport Service Time.

As above im going to do a full service on my is200, I know what needs changing but unsure with what grades and how much, So my question is

What eninge oil do I use and how much

What gearbox oil do I use and how much

What diff oil do I use and how much

What brake fuild do I use and how much

And how much water does it take,

And is there anything I should look out for when doing the service?

Thanks

Engine oil 20w50 or 15w40.... Or 10w30 or 5w30 with auto trans 3.8 litres or 3.9 litres with manual

Manual Gearbox API GL 4 or 5 75w90 2 litres or 'till it drips from the filler

Axel Without LSD 1.05 litres of API GL5 SAE90 or until the oil drips from the axle filler The manual suggests that the same oil is to be used with LSD but I find that a little surprising and should be checked

Brake fluid Dot 3 brake fluid..... Replace whatever comes out

Water 6.6 litres assuming you don't have the towing pack.. Best to fill it till all the air is out and correct to the right level

.. so I can stick in any eninge oil I have lining about?. Surely that can't be right?

You right luke you just cant stick in any engine oil. Toyota recommends 5W-30 or 10W-40 fully synthetic engine oils meeting API-SJ or API-SL. obviusly 5W-30 is better as it will flow better in both hotter and colder conditions than 10-40 would.

The oil filter is a pig to get off. I found it best to raise the car on stands and remove nearside wheel and bottom scuff plate. I also removed the metal brace from the block to the inlect trackt to get better purchase on filter.

Apart from that sevicing is straight foward and the car mechanicals are prity straight foward. If you do change the gearbox oil (Manual) make sure you get the drain plug and not the plug retaining the lock balls on the selecter shaft as I am LED to beleieve that is an gearbox out job to put right, these are identified by the Allen key type screw head ? :nuke:

.. so I can stick in any eninge oil I have lining about?. Surely that can't be right?

You right luke you just cant stick in any engine oil. Toyota recommends 5W-30 or 10W-40 fully synthetic engine oils meeting API-SJ or API-SL. obviusly 5W-30 is better as it will flow better in both hotter and colder conditions than 10-40 would.

I was thinking it would be 5w30 becuase my track toy has vvt and thats what I have to use in that.

Thanks

The oil filter is a pig to get off. I found it best to raise the car on stands and remove nearside wheel and bottom scuff plate. I also removed the metal brace from the block to the inlect trackt to get better purchase on filter.

Apart from that sevicing is straight foward and the car mechanicals are prity straight foward. If you do change the gearbox oil (Manual) make sure you get the drain plug and not the plug retaining the lock balls on the selecter shaft as I am led to beleieve that is an gearbox out job to put right, these are identified by the Allen key type screw head ? :nuke:

Lately ive found a lot of oil filters to be a pig to get off lol, on my astra I had to put a screw driver though it and urn it off that way but inside of coming off I cut the oil filter in half lol.

I hate it when gearboxs try to confuse you, ill just have my mate change the gearbox fuild then as it wont take him half the time to get the gearbox off if it goes tits up lol.

I was thinking it would be 5w30 becuase my track toy has vvt and thats what I have to use in that.

Thanks

Yep the VVTi mechanisim needs thin oils to be able to function properly. you can also upgrade to newer oils with API-SM on them for even more protection and fuel economy but thats just icing on the cake as API-SJ and SL are the recommended ones.

I have always been advised 5w30, but my car has just started using oil so would 10w40 help the oil usage better?

sure lexus loon if you notice engine burning a bit more thiner oil then 10w-40 is whats recommended by toyota. av noticed mine does burn a lil bit more than usual but then am on 117K and drive it quiet hard aswell so that might be the case.

The four grades are what Lexus recommmend depending on the operating conditions of the vehicle

20w50 for ambient temps from -7 to above 38 celsius

15w40 for ambient temps from about -11 to above 38 celsius

10w 30 for ambient temps from -18 to above 38 celsius or

5w30 for ambient temps from below -29 to 10 degrees.

There is no requirement to use fully synthetic lubricant but it is a good thing to change your lube at the stated intervals

jack and support the rear of the car so that you can get underneath to the diff..... If the diff casing is anything like the non LSD casing then stick a shallow tray under the diff and remove the plug at the bottom of the diff and allow the lubricant to drain.... I'm guessing that like the non LSD the plug will have a little magnet to collect swarf, so clean that with a cloth.... Once drained, refit the plug and remove the filler plug which should be on the side of the diff about half way up..... clean that off and refill the diff with the correct grade lubricant (SAE 90 GL5 for lim slip diffs) The diff is full when the lube is up to the level of the filler and a small quantity of lube trickles out. Refit plug, wipe any surplus lube from casing, lower car to the ground and go and have a cup of tea...

Tips, you may find that the filler is tricky to get to, so buy your oil in a bottle with a spout and short length of filler tube.... I have an old one in the garage for such an occasion.

If the lube is cold and thick, stand it in some warm water for a little while to make it thinner and it will flow a little better.

Dispose of your old lube by pouring it into a bottle and taking it down to your local recycling area and don't pour it down the drain.

Shove some cardboard under the work area to ensure that the oil doesn't spill onto your drive and stain it

Use axle stands not bricks to support your car as instant death MAY occur

Use a dedicated oil pan for collecting the oil and not your wifes grill pan as instant death WILL occur

I Just see that too ...I dunno why they list it, I have to go back see them tomorrow anyway, will let u know what they have to say.

Thank for spotting transporter.

Hi transporter , quick update just got my car back and I did hav a word wit them about chain tensioner, they did replaced a tensioner, but they still could be clear about the chain!!!, I know for fact our car is belt not chain.

Twin cam so its dohc

Ok thanks becuase whenni looked at my quickly ages ago it only looked like there was only one cam pulley lol.

Which cam has the vvt on? Or is it on both?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links