Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chrome Exhaust Trim. I Want One...

Took the IS for it's monthly bath today, and since it was such a nice day outside (for a change) I even waxed it this afternoon - yes, me! Actually waxing! HAven't done that for a good ten years! (and remembered after why I hate doing it)

Anyway, the exhaust tip is peeing me off. I get that it's stainless steel, but I really can't be ar$ed with getting on the floor and polishing it (I don't do bufty anymore) and I'm certainly not taking the back box off the car to do a proper job on it (on one my cars years ago, that I used to do owners club shows with, I actually took the rear bumper off the car just to polish the tailpipe - since the modified exhaust I'd fitted 1) had a welded on back box, rather than clamped and 2) the larger tailpipe gave only half a cm clearance in the bumper cutout)

So, I wanna dress it up. But I don't want it to look like it's been dressed up. The whole car is OEM, and I don't want it to look like I've obviously stuck a chrome tailpipe Halfords special on it! I know Lex/Toyota did a tailpipe trim specifically to fit the IS exhaust, but these are rarer than me waxing cars, so aftermarket seems to be the only real option

So has anyone fitted an aftermarket tailpipe trim? I measure the OD of the tailpipe to be 80mm, and I'm not looking to go larger, so I was looking at this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-CHROME-EXHAUST-TRIM-ROLLED-EDGE-TIP-80mm-BRAND-NEW-/170962686483?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ce2b9213

Now naturally that'd be too long, so I'd chop it down. Ideally, I'd like it to fit snugly over the original tailpipe, and be not noticeable longer; just so the standard tip hides up inside the rolled lip of the chrome one.

Of course, cutting it down will lose the screw fitting, but I guess it's not a big deal to drill and screw in a short self tapper out of sight to secure it in place. If I can get one that;s snug enough I have to tap it on with a rubber mallet, that'd be even better (so as to eliminate any buzzing that may occur, and also keep it nice and tight, with just the screw to stop it moving.

Just looking to see if anyone else has done the same?

I have seen one, on eBay, but it ended up going for over £20, and I ain't spending £20 on one. My exhaust bugs me a bit, cos it's not as clean as the rest of the car (when it's clean) but it doesn't bug me THAT much!

That aftermarket chrome tip is a few mm too small, so don't buy it. It's exactly the same diameter as the exhaust and won't slide over the top of it. You can guess why I know this... :glare:

I got an OEM one from eBay instead and cleaned it up with steel wool and metal polish. Looks great now. Expensive for what it is, but its a very effective visual mod that adds a touch of class, so was worth every penny imho.

If my car hadnt come with one i would of deff bought one by now, makes the car look so much better. So was this a optional accessory when buying a IS new?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links