Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

hi, heard a rattle earlier today and found that there is a thin alloy heat shield over the top of the back box that has come loose ? dropped onto the back box....

anyone had any dealings with these yet ? how do they fix on ? can i repair ? or is it another credit card bashing ? :eerrrmm:

Hi Ron

Exactly what you described happened to me. An MOT advisory picked it up. My able mechanic not only fixed it rather quickly, but also noticed that the other heat shield was also about to come off. No new parts were required and no credit card bashing took place. This however, did not surprise me as my car is a 1996 LS 4000 with 226,400 miles on the clock.

Pepe

got one of these discs from a tech guy (lexus) but no specific dealings with the exhaust system ? looks like its time to remove the rear wheel etc and investigate ? if its worthwhile i will take pictures of what i find holding or not as the case seems for future ref... the service bods at woodford refused to give me advice or help...;o( i can feel an itch in my wallet....... :megaangry:

Well, there are 4 x. 8 mm alloy bolts ( on studs) holding the back box heat shield on which have corroded and allowed the shield to drop and rattle.lexus woodfrord wanted £75 plus vat for a new shield and he didn't believe me when I told him it has erroded/ corroded... With labour it would have cost £200 plus...

as you can see, the shield is now reinforced by bigger and thicker washers and it feels solid again !

2x very stiff rubbers to detach to allow the exhaust to drop down enough to access the area ( pain in the ***** tight) straight forward job and saved £ loads...

The little rings are the bits that broke off the shield behind the 8mm bolt with washer attached.

post-46752-0-86282200-1370003628_thumb.j

post-46752-0-56334800-1370003676_thumb.j

post-46752-0-58018200-1370003700_thumb.j

post-46752-0-52660800-1370003729_thumb.j

Good job on the picture uploads :) very useful and will come in handy real soon!

I seem to have a slightly different issue with the heat shield rattle...

the right side exhaust head shield is solid and doesn't move or shake side-to-side

but

the left side exhaust shield can be pinged (if that make sense?) and i think that is the one that is tapping on the side of the exhaust when the engine is on.

i'll upload photos tomorrow if i get time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links