Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I know it's an old car nor, but having just put my GS300 (110K) back on the road after being parked up for a while I noticed that I have a problem playing CD's.

If I play a original CD's (shop bought) they seem to play perfectly. However if I play home copied or compiled CD's there are problems. Some will play for a while then become 'jumpy', some will play the first few seconds then skip to the next CD in the tray, and some will just skip without playing. This occurs with ALL compiled/copied CD's of differing brands.

Does anyone else experience problems with non original CD's, or could it be a problem with the player.

I know it's an old car nor, but having just put my GS300 (110K) back on the road after being parked up for a while I noticed that I have a problem playing CD's.

If I play a original CD's (shop bought) they seem to play perfectly. However if I play home copied or compiled CD's there are problems. Some will play for a while then become 'jumpy', some will play the first few seconds then skip to the next CD in the tray, and some will just skip without playing. This occurs with ALL compiled/copied CD's of differing brands.

Does anyone else experience problems with non original CD's, or could it be a problem with the player.

Sounds like a good disk cleaning of your CD's might be in order, might also be an idea to clean the heads on the unit too, that will sort it, I had the same issues on probably the same unit in my car.

The older the heads get, the less they will like writable media, it won't have a problem with shop bought CD's because their tracks are better defined by the process they use, also, if it continues to reject copied media periodically, use a higher quality media and burn your CD's at a lower speed, the lower the speed, the better the quality.

Thanks Rob.

3 of the 5 CD's that exhibit the problem are brand new - unwrapped and copied just before using.

So I'll have a go at cleaning the heads on the unit and see how it goes.

They can jam the loading mechanism so not recommended, the optical unit (laser or head as it's been described) is mounted upside down in most of the Pioneer changers ( hence why the discs go in the cartridge playing side up) so tend not to suffer with dust contaminated lasers as much as conventional players.

The laser putput also falls over time but replacement is not a viable option.

As mentioned the quality of shop bought discs is better so try burning yours at a slower rate for better defined tracks.

Rob.

What did you use to clean your CD head.

Looking at head cleaners (such as this one) they seem to say they are not suitable for multi change units.

I didn't. I took the unit to bits and then used pure alcohol and a shammy leather. Sorry, I should have said, what Steve says is right, cleaning disks do tend to bugger the autoloader. Taking the unit to bits is quite easy, just don't lose any of the tiny bits. When you get in there and see the head, don't touch it with your bare fingers, you don't want oil on it, alcohol on a shammy and rub gently.

Rob.

What did you use to clean your CD head.

Looking at head cleaners (such as this one) they seem to say they are not suitable for multi change units.

I didn't. I took the unit to bits and then used pure alcohol and a shammy leather. Sorry, I should have said, what Steve says is right, cleaning disks do tend to bugger the autoloader. Taking the unit to bits is quite easy, just don't lose any of the tiny bits. When you get in there and see the head, don't touch it with your bare fingers, you don't want oil on it, alcohol on a shammy and rub gently.

Thanks Rob.

I'll try that and also re-record at a slower speed and see how it goes.

If you haven't done one before the link below gives the general idea of what to look for and clean but bear in mind in yours the assembly may be upside down as previously mentioned.

Just make sure the discs are all removed along with the cartridge before disassembly.

Hmmmm - I have hit a problem

I have taken out the multi-changer unit and taken off the covers etc to find that the multi-change mechanism is fitted ABOVE the laser head (see here - http://uko.com/simplegallery - click thumbnail for larger size).

So although the cd's are placed in the cartridge play side down, and laser should be visible/accessible from the top, the multi-changer is in the way.

Has anyone removed this and be able to advise on how to go about it?

NOTE: Recording discs at slower speed resulted in the cd playing longer (about 30 mins instead of 10) before jumping - but the problem was not eliminated.

You need to take it off buddy, it will take ages, when I did mine I couldn't see a different way of doing it. I just took lots and lots of pictures ate every interval to make sure all the bits went back in order. I would have already sent the pics to you but they were on a different pc, now fried, sorry.

I think (if memory serves) it took me about 5 hours in total but the finished product was well worth it. Really wish I could be more help.

There isn't even one on eBay right now to at least consider if you don't fancy doing the work. I have a couple of friends with GS300's too, i'll ask and see if they know anything.

Thanks Rob.

If anyone has any info it would be appreciated - bummer bout your pics eh?

As I was extracting the unit from the boot, the boot came down (strong winds here today) and almost knocked me out.

I then realised that both the boot and bonnet stay pistons are not very strong - so will now have to find some replacements as I don't think they can be recharged.

Oh well - now't like spending money!!!

Thanks again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links