Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My car has just cut out for no reason on the m1.... Started out jurney from Middlesbrough all fine car has never skipped a beat. I have done 60 miles as the car just stopped and won't even turn over just makes a funny whine noise when I try to start it? Any one know what is up? Eml light isn't on?

I am currently sat waiting with the ignition at the on position for 6 mins to see if that works (says it under the bonnet)

I have another 300 miles to go to get to the Isle of Wight and would like this resolved :(

Thanks in advance for any help recieved

It sounds like you have lost all electrical power, are the dash lights on.do the headlights come on, have you checked the fan belt?

Normally if the Battery is drained all you get is a click and perhaps a slow wirring noise when you try and crank the engine.

• Like 1

It sounds like you have lost all electrical power, are the dash lights on.do the headlights come on, have you checked the fan belt?

Normally if the battery is drained all you get is a click and perhaps a slow wirring noise when you try and crank the engine.

All lights are on radio works all that it's just a whirring noise I am getting :(

You could try pushing the car (in gear) a couple of yards just in case the starter isn't engaging the flywheel properly in the position it is in?

• Like 1

Wow I think they surcharge you if you join and claim immediately but at least they will sort you out hopefully.

I have AA cover through my bank account and have never used it for the Lexus but have called them out to my works van 3 times as it covers any veihicle I am driving or a passenger in.

Please come back with the problem and cure when it's sorted.

Checked to see if you still have a cambelt?

yes it does sound like a cam belt failure if it just died on you whist going along. The sound is the bottom half of the engine turning over quickly because some of the valves are open so you don't have any compression resistance.

That would be pretty terminal. Unfortunately, unlike the mk1 GS non-interference engine, the mk2 vvti engine is not, so valves would've most definately been clattered by the pistons. I would've expected Niall to mention of some brief, but pretty horrid sounds on cutout though :(

If it's the 2JZGE (as used in the Mkiv Supra) I'm pretty sure it's a non interference engine? I've known cambelts go on 2JZs with no valve damage.

It's probably a different matter as it's VVTi though.... :(

Yup, the mk2 vvti is interference. I had a cam sprocket come adrift on my mk1 with no ill effects, wouldn't be the same on the mk2 GS.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links