Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Leaking :-(

My is200 auto Started leaking fluid on Saturday , noticed a few small spots on my drive way so to got it up on the ramp today and transmission fluid is leaking from the bottom end of the gearbox. Checked the dipstick and there is still plenty of fluid in there..

Any ideas or help from fellow is200 forum users would be much appreciated .. I fear a hefty bill here.. Hope I'm wrong :-(

Not sure if you will have to take the sump off completely to replace seals however its common procedure as some cars its the only way to change the oil

Hopefully its just the plug, where exactly is it leaking from?

You'll need to follow the trickle of oil, as said it could be a leaky sump gasket or drain plug but if it is coming from the rear of the gearbox it could be the shaft seal where the prop joins the gearbox or if you are unlucky from the front of the box and it is leaking inside the bell housing where there are more seals that can fail.. but these re a gearbox off job..Wipe off the oil from the box and try to trace back to were the oil is coming from

Not seen this much on the forum. Surely not that common?

These cars are just getting older now and starting to show there age maybe

Thanks for your input lads, I am not all together certain as to we're the leak is exactly from on the gearbox, all I know upto now is that the leak is coming from the gearbox.

Looks like I will have to book it in . The problem is I don't want to end up with a massive bill that is more than the actual car is worth .

Yeah just book it in for a diagnostics and go from there. I doubt its anything serious but even if its just a seal inside means alot of labour i suppose

Whats your mileage btw Baz?

the only leak that iv seen on 'some' is200's on the gearbox is normaly the sump gasket or sump plug, as mentioned above post.

it would really be a rare case at your mileage if a seal is worn unless you overfilled the gearbox which then at times will try to push its way up throught the dipstick aswell.

hope you get it looked at and sorted out

Lets hope it's just from the sump. Don't forget you should check your gearbox oil level with the car at normal operating temperature and whilst the engine is running. The level looks high when the engine isn't running so will make you think there is more in there than there actually is.

When i serviced mine a few weeks ago pretty sure i saw the sump a bit further back.... i was gonna say just have a quick look if you have a 2nd jack

UPDATE ..

After having a 2nd and 3rd mechanic opinion this has now been confirmed as the rocker cover gasket on the top of the engine which is dripping down onto the bottom of the gear box..

Massive relief as this is one of the lesser serious leaks you can have and I shouldn't have a problem replacing this myself..

Thanks for all the replys , much appreciated

Thanks for coming back with the cause,must admit I never considered the rocker cover oil seal perhaps the gearbox leak threw me out.

The gasket problem there is also a common oil leak point on the LS400 as well but at least on yours it's only one gasket not two.

Just make sure when you replace the gasket you torque the bolts down gradually and to the correct final torque and criss-cross the tightening sequence to avoid damage to the new gasket or distortion to the valve cover.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links