Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting Problem

went to the shops the other day and turnt my car off but when I tried to start it again it just made a clicking sound and wouldn't start. so had to get some one out to start it with a jump pack which they said the alternator was ok and putting a good charge back so said my Battery was knackered. I had some one else look at it yesterday and they said my alternator was knackered saying its only putting out 12volts. so im a little confused

Guest bigbullhead

I have had this problem see my post this weather is like winter time when talking about batteries etc they are under load nearly all the time so a bad Battery will be found out like mine cooling fan and under performing air con so I would hold off on the alternator and go for a good new Battery I have never bought a Battery in 19 years on various cars and I keep them from new for 7 years and this lexus of mine had high mileage and was told it was newish so I did not think to check it until mine went flat twice

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advise. Just a little confused as the recovery bloke said the batter was nakered. Yet a garage I took it to a day later seem yo think its the alternator. Im going to have to get them both checked again

Mate come on, what's more expensive, you popping down to Halfords and getting a new Battery for £80 or a garage having to replace you alternator and you have to pay labour charge?

I think I know why the garage says you need a new alternator. Business for them isn't it. Oh and the recovery bloke said it was the Battery and i would be more inclined to believe him as he has no other agenda such as making money from you. Sounds just like you got a flat Battery and batteries start to die after about 5 years. Pop a new Battery on and then if your car does die again then look at the alternator.

hi your air con not working great wouldn't have anything to do with your Battery,have it tested or get a Battery tester.A Battery on it's way out may not necessarily give you any warning signs(struggles to turn engine over).As a rule I would consider a Battery over 5/6 years old past its best,hope this helps.

Guest bigbullhead

If your air con(climate) is not working properly there will be more load on the Battery etc has its working harder to cool it down where as a good serviced climate control will need less energy to get you to the desired temperature

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links