Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P/x Or Private Sale

Thinking about changing my RX, do I try to sell it privately or p/x? Of course if I di sell privately I should get more but do people buy their RX's privately because personally for me it would always be a main dealer purchase!

Any thoughts appreciated

hello the choice is yours,part exchange you lose lots of money,private sale you have got all the hassle associated with selling but you get more,so what do you hope to achieve?if you are getting another Lexus and don't want the hassle then part exchange otherwise go private

The optimum result is to get the most I can for my car. My next purchase will probably be a RX450. However if I can sell privately I have more cash to spend at the dealer!

The $64000 question is do RX400 potential buyers buy privately on the whole or go to a dealer? I know my choices but is selling privately a realistic proposition?

I would think most people would want to get some sort of warranty with a hybrid vehicle and therefore purchase from a dealer. This may mean you need to price closer to the trade-in price as opposed to the dealer price for a private sale.

If trading in to a Lexus dealer you probably won't get a great trade-in price so you should easily be able to get a better price privately.

Try negotiating a good price on your new vehicle and then agree a trade-in, but also agree the option to sell privately whilst waiting for the new vehicle. Then if you don't sell it privately you just trade-in rather than be in a position of having two vehicles.

I would also go through a dealer, in particular with a hybrid. I guess you could turn your question around and ask yourself whether you would be comfortable buying a car such as the RX400h from a private seller and without any warranty.

it really depends on how comfortable you feel about selling your car privately and letting complete strangers take your pride and joy out for a test drive and then haggling over the price.There are some odd and sometimes aggressively odd characters out there and when they turn up on your doorstep ( perhaps with one or two friends ) it can be a bit intimidating.

If you are not totally confidant in dealing with whoever may turn up to view then stick to p/x via a main dealer,in the big scheme of things

the extra cost is not that much.

Another option is the likes of webuyanycar.com

When I was trying to sell my car, I got a quote off them and it was certainly better then most dealers were prepared to offer for my car in p/x. In the end I decided not to sell but it certainly makes sense if it actually as hassle free as it sounds.

Another thing I noticed was that if you are trading in your car then dealers don't negotiate on price much. But if you buy in cash, then they are prepared to move on the tag price much more.

Another option is the likes of webuyanycar.com

When I was trying to sell my car, I got a quote off them and it was certainly better then most dealers were prepared to offer for my car in p/x. In the end I decided not to sell but it certainly makes sense if it actually as hassle free as it sounds.

It's not - a friend tried to sell his with them. On the website, they gave him a great price (something like £1.5k for his Toyota Previa), then turned up, inspected it and eventually offered him £125 :msn-oh:

I bought my RX400h privately, with no warranty. I paid £9k - a similar car from a dealer with a warranty would have been £2 or £3k more - worth the risk for me.

Basically, it's like Colin says, advertise it privately and see if you can get more than the p/x. If not, take the p/x - simples.

BTW, advertise on eBay with a classified ad (where you set the price - don't do an auction) - it only costs £15 whereas an ad in AutoTrader costs £45 and you get less response in my experience.

Thanks to everyone, pretty much as I expected. Personally I would never buy a vehicle like the 400/450 privately, in fact I wouldn't even consider an independent, it would have to be a main dealer for me. However I may try and sell it privately and see what happens!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links