Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Why Did I Choose An Isf?

I just picked up my black 59 plate ISF. Drove down the M1 back to London.

It was a toss up between a M135i and ISF. I drove both and was impressed. However, the BMW was a little too plain and then the options, auto dimming mirrors £275, keyless go I think another £250 and the list goes on. (the car can certainly shift though!)

I chose the ISF in the end because:

It's rare

Has all the options

The ride on the road is bearable

The engine sound

Reliability (I've had 2 LS400's no problems)

It is fast

Fuel, the eighth gear is really useful on the motorway

Lexus customer service

The German cars cost more (insurance,servicing and initial price) and they are not necessarily better (as a road car)

As I have only owned it for 3 hrs, I will reserve further judgements for later. Terrible weather at the moment, but hope to open it up over the remaining weekend. Already got my brother waiting for a test drive. I will look out for an ISF in London now, I can't say I've notice any.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, I bought it from Lexus in Leicester. Did not get that much of deal, but very happy all the same.

I said to myself that if the dealers hold firm on their prices, this can only help the residual values.

Anyway, I'm still exploring mine!

Ah, that's good. I was just curious as they had black one at Coventry, and though very nice, was on some awful, cheap tyres. Just wanted to make you aware if it was that one. One thing these cars should not be on is cheap tyres.

Anyway, enjoy... I'm so jealous right now as I can't find one in the colour I want, from a dealer.

Neil

Thanks you guys.

As I've said before it is still early days, but I have not yet managed to get that glorious NASCAR sound around town without travelling at breakneck speed. It is interesting how people go on about the exhaust pipes and the 8 speed box, but if they were to drive one they would think differently.

I'm not going to go on and start comparing stats with other cars, but one I found interesting was the rpm at 60mph. I read that at 60 a M3 is doing 2,600, whilst a ISF is 1,550. To me the 8th gear comes into its own, much more relaxed on the motorway.

glad you're having fun. I'm off to look at another one on Saturday, private dealer this time and in silver which i like look of. The blue one Lexus edgware have is lovely but white leather puts me off. You can always wrap it and have whatever colour you like. A good firm will avoid the horror stories of cut paint etc. An isf appeals to me as it isn't an m3 or amg. Something unusual, stealthy and very quick. 100% agree re cheap tyres, on any car let alone one of these.

Thanks you guys.

As I've said before it is still early days, but I have not yet managed to get that glorious NASCAR sound around town without travelling at breakneck speed. It is interesting how people go on about the exhaust pipes and the 8 speed box, but if they were to drive one they would think differently.

I'm not going to go on and start comparing stats with other cars, but one I found interesting was the rpm at 60mph. I read that at 60 a M3 is doing 2,600, whilst a ISF is 1,550. To me the 8th gear comes into its own, much more relaxed on the motorway.

If you want that glorious V8 sound at lower speeds get a different air intake. I have a Takeda and it sounds fantastic round town and still just a quiet on the motorway. Don't expect any performance gains though.

I've not noticed any increase in fuel consumption. I cant see how it would invalidate the warranty as it only makes the sound better. Also if your not sure it only takes 2 mins to swap it back to original.

Sorry to bring this up again, but change of air filter can give power gains. Independant test in the good ol' US of A http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1827/project-lexus-is-f-part-1-we-test-the-kn-typhoon-high-flow-air-intake.aspx

With many years of modifying and working on cars I've seen gains from breathing modifications, and engines like these respond particularly well to them. No, they are not massive like you'd get from turbo car upgrades, but 20+ hp is nothing to be sniffed at either for a relatively small payout, not to mention increase in response which in itself is worth it alone.

Oh and I asked the dealer whether it would effect warranty and they said it wouldn't, it just would be no longer valid on the air filter; same with exhaust etc. And yes you should mention it to your insurance; all the quotes I got, the extra was negligible, if anything.

nice1. just have to say both very good cars. im not a fan of BMWs but that 135 is something i must say. but can see why you chose the Lexus. Sound, exclusivity and reliability. The one series is also has a cheapish interior even the high spec ones not to mention the price seems high like you mentioned

Sorry to bring this up again, but change of air filter can give power gains. Independant test in the good ol' US of A http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1827/project-lexus-is-f-part-1-we-test-the-kn-typhoon-high-flow-air-intake.aspx

With many years of modifying and working on cars I've seen gains from breathing modifications, and engines like these respond particularly well to them. No, they are not massive like you'd get from turbo car upgrades, but 20+ hp is nothing to be sniffed at either for a relatively small payout, not to mention increase in response which in itself is worth it alone.

Oh and I asked the dealer whether it would effect warranty and they said it wouldn't, it just would be no longer valid on the air filter; same with exhaust etc. And yes you should mention it to your insurance; all the quotes I got, the extra was negligible, if anything.

Your right in air filters CAN give power gains, but with the ISF and most Toyota cars they don't. In fact after tests on the ISF the stock air filter produced the most power. This is a long topic but the results are on thread 113 http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/492945-is-f-intake-shootout-indep-dynos-for-injen-and-afe-takeda-8.html

It's a fair point, and it's been an ongoing debate for many years, both of us posting conflicting results. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/553125-we-test-the-pts-joe-z-is-f-exhaust-and-verify-k-and-n-intake-power.html

One thing I have found is that different intakes and the way they are fed by cool air make a massive difference, not to mention the climate in which they are tested. Cool air is the key here; cars with the air filter located near the engine, sitting in warm, static conditions are obviously going to perform badly; similar to a car's radiator. When moving it's a different kettle of fish. I'll be fitting extra ducting to ensure it's fed properly. I'll even endeavour to get a before and after rolling road; but the true test would be to have friendly 'spirited' drive with a standard car and see if there's a marked difference, if anybody would be up for that?

We could go on endlessly with the debate, but with or without the gains I'll still be fitting an intake as I personally prefer the increase of intake noise and more than happy to pay for it. This side of it is obviously a subjective thing

Anyway, happy motoring to all :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links