Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squealing Left Tyre

omeo

Hi guys,

My left tyre on my lexus is200 has recently began squealing whenever I turn it. The sound sounds like a rubbing noise, or like when you walk on a creaky floorboard. It only happens when I turn, not at a slight turn, for example when I go to park in a bay or turn a corner.

When I am driving the car normally in a straight line, there is no noise what so ever. I have enough PS and there's enough air in the tyre to.

The problem occurred after I pumped the tyres 2 days ago and began driving the car, it was quiet a hot day as well.

Does any one know what might be causing the issue? Just to be aware I replaced the tyre in question a few months ago.

thanks

The problem starting after your pumped the tyres up is probably coincidental but it may pay you to recheck the pressure first.

Make sure nothing in the wheel arch area is fouling the tyre when on lock such as the plastic arch liner.

Check for worn suspension joints and bushes, if your bushes have been replaced with the poly types these do have the tendency to creak if not well lubricated.

Other things to check are the brake disc guard at the rear of the disc for fouling, the brake caliper for seizing and the wheel bearing but these defects generally produce more of a mechanical grinding sound.

If you have matching tyres all around you could also swop front to back on the same side to see if the noise moves with the tyre, you cannot swop side to side with rotational tyres.

It's a matter of methodical elimination.

Is there play in the ball joint? Don't mess with ball joints mate, if it has play Change it!

This is what happens when you ignore play in a ball joint for too long and it let's go, which it will!

null_zps91eb25f2.jpg

null_zps307a609f.jpg

greasing up a worn ball joint has just hidden the noise, not cured the problem.

How would I know if it has play in it? Are there any indications?

The mechanic first told me that I could take the car back and that it was safe to drive. He greased it and said he would let me know a price in a few days. He didn't advice me that I must bring it back

To check ball joints, you jack the car up. Put your hands at the quarter to three position and shake from side to side. If you feel play then they're probably worn.

Being totally honest mate if I thought my ball joint was making a noise and I had it confirmed by a mechanic that it was indeed making a noise I'd replace it.

My mechanic told me that the wishbone had to be replaced. He changed the wish bone and everything was fine. I drove the car for a while and all good. parked it and drove it again later and its starting to make the same noise again . Is that normal

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links