Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing The Complete Door- Mirror 'shell' On My Ls400

I have successfully sourced,purchased,and received, a second - hand N/S door - mirror,for my LS,I'm going to do the job of fitting it myself.

I looked-up the 'How To' thread, a Member by the the name of Mark,has put up a really good,detailed step-by -step guide,for removing the door-trim,an operation ,I believe is necessary,in order to remove the mirror-body itself, for the life of me, I cannot find the thread here,which I'm sure I read ages ago, which gave a run-down on the removal and installation of the door- mirrors themselves, -which I'm sure is a pretty straightforward operation, - I am however, very wary of disturbing any of the electronic gubbins during this process, I would assume,naturally,that the key be removed from the ignition, but am worried in case there are any live - wiring I have to be careful avoiding? -mainly because I'm really worried about disturbing the on board computer set-up/system,when I remove and re-attach the new mirror,-perish the bleedin' thought, any guidance here would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have successfully sourced,purchased,and received, a second - hand N/S door - mirror,for my LS,I'm going to do the job of fitting it myself.

I looked-up the 'How To' thread, a Member by the the name of Mark,has put up a really good,detailed step-by -step guide,for removing the door-trim,an operation ,I believe is necessary,in order to remove the mirror-body itself, for the life of me, I cannot find the thread here,which I'm sure I read ages ago, which gave a run-down on the removal and installation of the door- mirrors themselves, -which I'm sure is a pretty straightforward operation, - I am however, very wary of disturbing any of the electronic gubbins during this process, I would assume,naturally,that the key be removed from the ignition, but am worried in case there are any live - wiring I have to be careful avoiding? -mainly because I'm really worried about disturbing the on board computer set-up/system,when I remove and re-attach the new mirror,-perish the bleedin' thought, any guidance here would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

This might be of help http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/fdoorpanel.html Mike

A big thanks to Mike and Steve, for posting a step-by-step guide on this operation,I wasn't in a hurry,but from start to finish,only took an hour-as the guide predicted.

In the past,I have undertaken many tasks on different cars, it's never really fazed me, coming from an Engineering background, but I have to say,that this comparatively simple operation,really gave me peek into just how damn good the LS400 is put together(and it follows,other Lexus models too,no doubt) but then,that's what you pay for,in a vehicle of this calibre.

The mirror I sourced is not black-it's maroon,I couldn't have cared-less, if it had been tartan,with pink polka-dots, ( no wisecracks please,Mike!) after 9 months with a 'dead' door-mirror, I wasn't caring,-it works,and now I feel a lot safer driving the old girl now, I was getting a crick in my neck from twisting right round,before lane-changing on Motorways,etc.

I've put up a couple of photos for your amusement and delectation, I'll spray the mirror black, when I've time, but I stripped the old mirror down,in order to check-out the damage,and see if something could be salvaged,-note the miniature servos on the white plastic block-dontcha just love Lexus technology!

Thanks again for the help.post-46225-0-52120300-1379599595_thumb.jpost-46225-0-79512700-1379599630_thumb.jpost-46225-0-60026600-1379599668_thumb.j

• 10 months later...

Hey Bluesbreaker. Found this thread when searching for info on the door mirrors.

Don't suppose you gained any insight into how the adjustment mechanisom was working when you took it apart? My driver's side mirror doesn't fully adjust to the left (inwards). It gets to a certain point, stops, and then the motor just clicks once every second or so, and the mirror just flicks in sync with the click but stays in position. It's as if some teeth (or similar) were stripped inside the mechanism.

Anyone know if that makes sense?

I've looked at the mirror glass removal tutorials, which are mostly done for those replacing cracked mirror glass. My glass is fine, but I wonder if I try to remove it, I'll just crack the glass and be worse off! :-?

The glass is just clipped into the housing.

To remove feed a piece of cloth ( a yellow duster is good) under the bottom of the glass and then behind the bottom of the glass.

Gripping one end of the duster in each hand gently tug and the bottom clips will release ( the mirror should still remain in place held by the 2 top clips.

Pull the bottom of the mirror glass outwards and then lift the glass up to fully release.

To refit engage the upper clips 1st then apply gentle pressure at the bottom of the glass to relock into place.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links