Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Castrol Magnatec 5W30

I've got a 1 litre bottle of the Castrol MAGNATEC 5W30 and need to topup my engine oil, but it seems that Castrol have the same product in different variations, A1, A5 etc. and i seem to have the A1, the difference with these variations seem that the bottle has the approved manufactures name on it. The one I have says approved for Ford. Just wondering if i should use this on my car? it still is a 5W30 after all and fully synthetic.

Just wondering why they have different variations for different manufacturers. Do they have different stuff in it? or just packaging?

any 5w-30 fully synthetic oil will do but Lexus uses API oil gradings and recommends any full synthetic meeting API SL for mine based on the year of the model so i guess yours will be one up which is API SM or even SN.

Just wondering why they have different variations for different manufacturers. Do they have different stuff in it? or just packaging?

There are several widely used specifications - API, ACEA and ILSAC, but many manufacturers due to particular engineering demands specify certain additional performance requirements.

For example, VW and BMW specify extra-long oil change intervals. To ensure that the oil will last that interval, they have their own specifications which require high levels of oil preservatives, and wear-preventing additives. The same additives are specified by API, etc. but they specify a lower minimum than VW and BMW specify.

Other manufacturers may have specific demands for oil sludge formation, or catalyst/DPF compatibility, and therefore have their own specification of oil to ensure that the oil is adequate.

ACEA have tried to standardise some of the most used specifications for catalyst friendliness, wear, oil change interval, etc. You have the A grades which are from A1 and A5 which is for the lowest viscosity oils to A3 which is for higher viscosity oils; there are also C grades which specify catalyst friendly formulations. C1 being most catalyst/DPF friendly and with extra-and C3 less friendly.

It is possible to meet many manufacturers specifications simultaneously, but not all of them. As a result most of the end-user oil manufacturers make a variety of products with slighlty different formulations to cover the whole market.

Lexus go buy the ILSAC specification and the very similar API specification with no additional special requirements.

If the oil meets API SL or a later API specification such as SM or SN, and is of the correct viscosity then it will be fine for an IS250.

There's quite a cool little interactive widget at http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/Markets/EngineOilAdditives/100132RPtool2012Deploy/rp/pc/index.html where you can compare different oil specifications to see how they differ.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't use the Magnetec A1 with the D-CAT system - lexus technical advised me to use C2 oil 5w30 or 0w30. Magnetec C2 5w30 is only £5 per litre in asda at the minute! Billy bargain.

I'm assuming you have a 220d - if you have a 250 or even an IS200 then the Magnetec A1 would do nicely

• 1 month later...

Hi there, ive got a is220d 2008 83k just newly acquired like 2weeks ago and im really thinking to change oil@filter ie...just to be on the safe side. Wich one it suit the 2.2l diesel and its good to afd additives also? Cheers.

Only use 0w30 or 5w30 low ash C2 oil! It doesn't really matter what brand - but Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is used by many on here, Toyota PFE 5w30 C2 oil from any Toyota dealer would do the trick! Just make sure it's PFE C2 spec! As for additives I wouldn't bother just use good quality diesel (maxol or texaco etc) and give it a good revving on the motorway once a week to keep the dpf happy!

Nice car just keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels - my 220d has done 6,000 miles on its new engine and guzzles oil. I used Castrol Magnetec 5w30 C2!!! spec for top ups - lexus service used Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30 C2 oil with the new engine!

Hi there, ive got a is220d 2008 83k just newly acquired like 2weeks ago and im really thinking to change oil@filter ie...just to be on the safe side. Wich one it suit the 2.2l diesel and its good to afd additives also? Cheers.

Only use 0w30 or 5w30 low ash C2 oil! It doesn't really matter what brand - but Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is used by many on here, Toyota PFE 5w30 C2 oil from any Toyota dealer would do the trick! Just make sure it's PFE C2 spec! As for additives I wouldn't bother just use good quality diesel (maxol or texaco etc) and give it a good revving on the motorway once a week to keep the dpf happy!

Nice car just keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels - my 220d has done 6,000 miles on its new engine and guzzles oil. I used Castrol Magnetec 5w30 C2!!! spec for top ups - lexus service used Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30 C2 oil with the new engine!

Appreciated guys for ur answers! I read on this forum that oil additives its also a must to do for well longing engine life?! I checked my car tail pipe today by sweeping two fingers and I've hot black fumes on them! ..is this normal ? Its me 1st diesel so a lot of new thinks seems normal I learn.

Also I have poor mileage in town 22-23mpg shows and after reading all brake and caliper problems I believed its breaking issues/maybe back brakes issues wich hold on car acceleration? ? Looks like a friction sound coming from front so I figured iys breaks issue hence low mpg but in same time I figured should pull left or right isn't? I dunno but decided to change all discs and pads also next week so will see after! Keep you posted guys.

Thanks again.

• 2 years later...
On 11/12/2013 at 8:55 PM, blackcts said:

Hi, Can I use C3 instead of C2 ? 

My car is Lexus IS220D

Kind regards

• 4 months later...

Hello guys, I am new around so go easy on me. Is it safe to use C1 instead of C2 ? I'm thinking less ash = less soot. After reading the specs of C1 and C2 only the pour point differs, C2's being higher on the negative scale.

c1:

Technical Information:

Viscosity grade SAE J 300 5W-30
Density at 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0,849
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 10.1 mm²/s
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 56.7 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 167
Pour point ASTM D97 -39°C / -38°F
Flash point ASTM D92 232°C / 450°F
TBN ASTM D 2896 4.8 mg KOH/g

C2: 

Technical Information:

Viscosity grade SAE J 300 5W-30
Density at 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0,845
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 10.4 mm²/s
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 57.9 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 171
Pour point ASTM D97 -42°C / -44°F
Flash point ASTM D92 232°C / 450°F
TBN ASTM D 2896 7.9 mg KOH/g

Any ideas ?

To give you short answer.... because I am sure you don't want to dig up about million of same threads before. 

As a top up A1 will be fine.. as long as it is 5w30.. Magnatec is overkill for the car and it really doesn't matter.. 

Now there is big discussion between C2/3 and A5. Based on many forums C2/3 should never be used in IS250, because it will burn and A5 should be used instead. However based on independent reading of myself and others C2/3 seems to be better, because it improves Cat converter work, A5 only better for extended service intervals which I strongly advise not to do... It would be best to replace oil every 5000-6000miles. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links