Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Question

jeffreyt

I had a critical care service done at Motorline Lexus at Tunbridge Wells. They always quote, and charge exactly, what they say. They have never 'found' extra stuff. When the recall came out they called me and offered a courtesy car. I haven't had it done yet, it can wait till the spring service, but I am fully confident it will be done well. (And 'No' I don't know anyone there, just a great main dealer garage, you can also negotiate on price a bit;) )

That's the sort of attitude I was supporting.. my main point was those who have cars that have only done 30,000 etc miles in 10 years and are changing them as a matter of urgency. I still maintain that originally Lexus stated 100,000 miles and no time interval. If it now only costs £295 its not really a big issue figures I have heard quoted were over £500+ .

Food for thought here,thanks to all.

I forgot to ask the other part of the question:is it normal to put in a new water pump with the cambelt change,this seems to vary from engine to engine.

Thanks

£295 sounds far to cheap as the parts will almost cost that ?

Check the fixed prices that are quoted on Lexus dealers websites. £295 parts/labour/VAT. Does not include waterpump or tensioners.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding 'proof' of job done, on my wife's IS the dealer attached a Lexus adhesive sticker to the top of the cambelt case showing date/mileage details.

Not a guarantee of course but probably one of the items on the equivalent SC service sheet.

• 1 year later...

hi guys,

im selling my sc430 a 2003 53reg with 85k done, someone asked me about the timing belt/cambelt, same thing, he said 80-90k and it should be due now and its almost 1k, sounds little bit steep to me.

i thought lexus was saying it should be done in the 100k service, anyone have any ideas?

cheers

lars

hi guys,

im selling my sc430 a 2003 53reg with 85k done, someone asked me about the timing belt/cambelt, same thing, he said 80-90k and it should be due now and its almost 1k, sounds little bit steep to me.

i thought lexus was saying it should be done in the 100k service, anyone have any ideas?

cheers

lars

Yes, 10 years or 100k so yours is overdue. Had mine done on 10 years even though mileage now is only 71k.

• Like 1

Yes agree, the cam-belt should have been replaced by now.

Cam-belt, tensioner and 2 pulley wheels.

Water pump

Drive belt

Genuine Toyota parts will cost around £350

After that it depends on the previous maintenance schedule but consider..

Engine and gear box oil, brake fluid flush, filters, spark plugs, etc, etc. and you can see how easily it could become £1k+ including labour.

Timing belt fixed price at Lexus £345. Water pump, tensioners, pulleys......if needed would add maybe £150 for parts and virtually no labour cost.

£295 was the price quoted to me by local stealer for belt only ,labour and VAT..He said other stuff only replaced as needed which rang alarm bells with me .How can you tell how much life is left in a water pump ?

My son has just had the belt go on his VW Transporter and likely cause seems to be water pump not replaced when belt done.The engine was not wrecked but top end rebuild cost him a grand. He was able to check this out as he bought the van off his brother

who still had the itemised bill for the belt change and there was no mention of a new pump.His brother is not a car man and didn't give it a thought at the time.

Still undecided whether to get it done now or leave it as not doing much mileage but its obvious that when it does go in I'm going to have to spell out all the specific bits I want replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

SC430 now 10 years old with 60,000 miles (3500 since last service and always garaged-my pet car!)

Always serviced with Lexus Belfast - loved the brand so much I even purchased a further Lexus (LS460) from them last year.

To get the price down (yes, I was hopeful!), I asked for a package to bring the car back to it's formal glory.

Asked for detailed prices for service, timing belt, wheel referb, Battery and paintwork - accident with garage door:-(

For a basic service and timing belt change (no extras), the cost came in at £745

Battery came out at an additional £195

Wheel refurb (no damage to rim) came out at a minimum of £90 each - probably be more they say!

Yes I love the brand, the cars and always try to support the dealers, but sometimes I wonder!

Although I don't mind paying a premium with a Lexus dealer, This has got me wondering.

Service and cam belt cost is normal Lexus main dealer price. Battery is ridiculous, I bought one online from the Battery Guys, make sure you measure height properly as their best one was too tall when I got mine. Should be £60-70. Wheel refurb sound expensive too, shop around for those.

• 1 month later...

There's a lot of conflicting info given about change intervals on this thread. My situation is that I have a 2000 GS430 with 150K on the clock and had it's belt changed at 98K 8 years ago. I do not know if the water pump was changed at the same time.

I've been keeping my eye open for a wee bit newer 430, maybe a 2006, but haven't found one reasonably nearby. I've decided to keep mine and intend to get a few bits and pieces done to make sure I can get another 50K miles out of her.

So I intend to have the pump and belt changed shortly. My question is, am I mad, or just being sensible and cautious.

All opinions welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Have read this thread with interest as am considering purchase of a 2007 SC430 with 87000 miles from a lexus dealership. When i asked if they would be replacing the cam belt prior to sale I was told that the cambelt did not need changing until 100,000 miles.

Suspect if I rang them asking if I should change my cambelt at 87k I would be told better to do so but thats me being cynical.

Anyway, I was sure I had seen the change recommended at 90k so a quick search on the net and I found that the lexus.com website has a service schedule page which allows you to input your model, mileage etc and it produces a list of the services you should have. It states that the 90k service is a main service and includes timing belt. You can check this out at the link below or search lexus service shedule on google if the link hasnt copied correctly.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/service/maintenance-schedule.do

So the question is, if these are exactly the same vehicles and after all the US was the intended market for the cars why do they recommend 90k when in the UK they seem to be saying 100k? Why the difference?

Am I right to expect the dealers to do the major service and belt change prior to purchase of a 87k mile car or am I being unreasonable?

Service intervals always vary between the UK and US. In the US you have many people doing oil changes every 3k to 5k miles, something we just don't do here as the price of oil is more expensive and the car industry has been guided by the fleet purchasers who want longer and longer intervals.

Toyota/Lexus timing belts intervals used to be 60k/63k in the UK and around 90k in the US, now UK vehicles are typically 100k - same engine, same belt.

Intervals are based on what is actually required, the environment/climate, the usage pattern (UK/European Lexus vehicles tend to have additional things such as transmission coolers because of expected higher driving speeds), what is acceptable in that country from the owner, and the competition.

Basically you should ignore US service schedules for a UK vehicle.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that, that does help a lot, perhaps my thinking of asking for it to be done as part of the sale is asking a bit much if it wouldn't normally be due until next year.

Thanks for taking the time to help out with my concerns it is really appreciated. What is the normal service requiremnt at 90k? major or minor service?

Service intervals always vary between the UK and US. In the US you have many people doing oil changes every 3k to 5k miles, something we just don't do here as the price of oil is more expensive and the car industry has been guided by the fleet purchasers who want longer and longer intervals.

Toyota/Lexus timing belts intervals used to be 60k/63k in the UK and around 90k in the US, now UK vehicles are typically 100k - same engine, same belt.

Intervals are based on what is actually required, the environment/climate, the usage pattern (UK/European Lexus vehicles tend to have additional things such as transmission coolers because of expected higher driving speeds), what is acceptable in that country from the owner, and the competition.

Basically you should ignore US service schedules for a UK vehicle.

Thanks for that. Very interesting, even if it has lengthened the list of my "jobs to do" :-(

Seriously though, I'm getting the belt/pump and a few other things done on the better safe than sorry principle. Had the car booked in last eek, but have been unwell so it'll probably be done in about a fortnight. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the change new transmission oil brings. On my SL it made a tremendous difference.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that, that does help a lot, perhaps my thinking of asking for it to be done as part of the sale is asking a bit much if it wouldn't normally be due until next year.

Thanks for taking the time to help out with my concerns it is really appreciated. What is the normal service requiremnt at 90k? major or minor service?

It would be minor. It alternates between minor and major every 10k miles, starting with a minor at 10k.

As part of the initial vehicle warranty you are allowed up to 2,000 miles leeway so services don't tend to fall neatly on those nice round numbers after a few years as owners stretch it out slightly each time and there is always the potential for a vehicle not to have done many miles for a year or two which then means it gets services at 12 months regardless of mileage which completely changes when you think a service is needed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links