Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Gs450H Brake Regeneration Question

I’ve been driving my GS for 3 weeks now and unsurprisingly I love it!.

Its funny how driving a GS make you a bit of a Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, Hyde is simple….floor it and feel the torque, but also the mix of near silent running and watching the info screen makes for very sedate Dr Jekyll driving.
So my question refers to the calm driving, to date I have been driving in D, and easing off the gas rolling up to a stop and using the brake, as normal. But I read a post referring to using the car in manual mode and changing down the gears to generate more Battery charge.

So do the batteries charge at a liner rate, i.e. number of wheel revolutions x distance irrespective of gear or braking, or does changing down the CVT increase the electric motor revolutions and effectively recharge the batteries more?

Then finally would the manually changing down the box to slow the car have any long terms effects or damage?

I don't know, but I would think engine braking would be the least effecient. ie the engine drag is slowing the car not the electric motor\generator. The best way is to roll to a stop with light pressure on the brake. You can see the charge needle go to max when this is done.

Actually the use of manual gears in GS is only useful in long descents to avoid to keep pressed brakes pedal; the final effect is the same, regenerative braking, at least till batteries are fully charged (all green bars on monitor), at that point braking comes also from gasoline engine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links