Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Other Cars Would / Did You Consider?

Before i stumbled across the ISF i was originally going to buy a Porsche Cayenne. Then started lookin at the M3, M5, E63 AMG and the XFR. Budget was 18-23k

All of the above fell short in one of the following catagories when compared to the ISF:

- Not as reliable

- More expensive to maintain

- Not as many toys

- Too many about and bit boring looking

- Over complicated e.g. BMW I-drive system

- Depreciate too heavily - XFR

So, where to next? I only just bought mine and will keep it for 3 years but NEVER stop looking. Short of starting with Cayenne again and the GTS varient, I cant see my next car yet.

Stu

I've wanted the IS F ever since it came out in 2008. I did consider the M5 E60 but thought they were too common (or at least they are around the midlands, I see one daily) plus the reliability issues. I've always had a thing for rare exciting cars so it was a no brainer for me really =]

I'm yet to see another on the road!

The only other car I would consider would be the Nissan GTR (R35). Having heard plenty of horror stories regarding servicing costs, mechanical failures, and pricey running costs, I felt the ISF was the better option for the reasons you outlined Stu.

It's also a comfortable car for all of the family (not many out there with similar rear seats/legroom).

I ruled out Porsche early on, after hearing similar stories about pricey running costs/servicing etc.

I also fell deeply in love with the ISF when I had a test drive back at the launch in 2008. I told my wife I would own one some day, and now I am pleased to say I have achieved that goal.

There really aren't many cars I can think of that are as affordable, reliable, quick, comfortable, well equipped, rare as the ISF.

Just my thoughts. :)

I considered a M135i. The car was compact, very fast and sounded great. When I stepped back and looked at it, I thought it was a bit too plain. I also really wanted a M5 and I never test drove one. However, the stories of very high maintenance and when will I get the chance to take it up to 8000rpm to hear it sing put me off.

I still might get one though!

While waiting for a meeting, I dropped back via the forum, and saw this thread with interest. As some you you know, I recently had this decision, having owned a ISF for nearly 5 years.

My criteria was simple: I wanted an ISF replacement that was a new registration or nearly new, so after another 3-5 years it still looked fresh.

I went for the Merc A45 AMG because:

- (German) Models are growing in size and the A45, even as a hatchback, isn't much smaller than a ISF

- Matched the performance of the ISF

- Excellent Gearbox and Handling

- Fuel and Road Tax are cheaper

- Sounded amazing (see YouTube)

- I can get a bike in the boot!

So in the absence of a I new ISF model, the A45 is a worthy replacement.

Looks a lot smaller??? Especially the boot?

Performance stats look great though. I would need something bigger.

It does have a weird layout, as the length is a few inches shorter, however the car is wider. There is much more legroom in the rear, but at the compromise of the boot. However with the hatchback, the rear seats drop to give amble through-loading space.

C63 AMG: Fantastic, but for the same price as an 8 month old IS-F with <3k miles, I would only get a 2 year old C63 with 20k miles. But it was still a close call.

Infiniti G37: Wonderful, apart from the auto gearbox. To get a manual (great to drive) I would have to order new and suffer shocking depreciation. A new one was also the same price as my nearly new IS-F. Infiniti are the only people I've found to match Lexus for dealer and staff quality

VXR8: Too big, but a real hoot to drive. Pity it wasn't badged Holden.

Impreza STI 4 door. I'd had 5 fast Imprezas before and fanced a change. They had also put the price up from a very reasonable £26k to £33k.

I didn't even consider a BMW or Audi as every other car here in Cheshire seems to be one of the two. And they have a poor relability record. And their salesmen have not impressed me over the years.

Next car options:

F-Type and a Skoda Citigo 60

Infiniti Q50, but its a shame the Eau Rouge is not coming to the UK

Next Subaru STI if they import it

New Jaguar saloon

Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ

Maybe an Alpina 3 series with the monster diesel engine

The AMG A45 / CLA 45 are off the list becuase my feet don't fit in the footwell

Looked at the M3, The C63 and the XFR as well as the ISF, S5

Really wanted a GTR R35, but couldn't justify cost.

Also looked at the XKR, but looked too dated. Glad I didn't now as nipper on the way!

Test drove all for months before deciding but always preferred the F. All were fast and noisy, but apart from the C63, the F felt quickest, the C63 was boring and I think the missus would have put it into a tree, The M3 I saw 5 on route to showroom and wasn't throaty enough, XFR looked too much like the XF and I saw over 40 on the M4 corridor one day in one journey (I counted). S5 wasn't in same league and disappointing.

The F just had the most toys, was as quick if not quicker than all, by far rarest and nicest looking.

Next will be a GTR if I can have a 4x4 too or a Panemera. I also like the look of the new RS7.

It is big but it just felt like a limo that happened to be fast to me. The Lexus was more of a drive all the time. The jag might work when I am older but for the next wee while the ISF will keep me smiling.

For the reasons above I think the xfr may be my next car. Performance is on a par with competitors, just as luxurious and bigger so better for bigger family. I just think the isf will be too small for 2 kids.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links