Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having to open my bonnet recently has revealed that it won't stay up on its own, even after a bit of 'pumping' up and down to wake up the struts. So I need new ones. I remember people on here mentioning a company that sold them online at a good price - can anyone tell me its name, and how much I can expect to pay?

Yes that's the place in Derby,local to me.

Never been there but each winter my struts go a bit sloppy but recover in the summer so will get them rebuild eventually.

Quite a lot of members have used this company and I've not seen one bad report plus if you are local they will rebuild your originals while you wait apparently.

I also purchased new struts from SGS last year and they are excellent - post your struts to them first for an assessment, as if they can re-gas them, they will do so and save you money in the process. If not they will sell you a new pair....

I have two bonnet struts on order from Rockauto.com It was only £41.00 for a pair (including delivery from the USA). I have ordered a few things from there and all have been good quality, so I'm quite comfortable ordering from them. There were some cheaper ones, but I went for the more expenive ones.

Look under www.rockauto.com , they have loads of Lexus bits.

Andy

Andy, I see that their prices range from £8.86 to £14.32 per strut (excluding delivery). Please let us know how you get on with them. Are you going to fit them yourself?

I just priced them up and they come to £45 delivered, which is a saving of around £30-35 over the SGS ones.

Andy you will have to let us know how you get on with them as I may just order for that price.

I am proposing to fit them myself when they arrive. I will see if I can take some photos if you want. FYI, It is my son's car and he has just purchased some new alloys for it. I will put some pictures when they re fitted. Don't shoot me down in flames for tarting up a Lexus though, it's not my choice... :outforcount:

Andy

OK, New struts fitted in roughly 10 minutes for the pair. :flowers: They are realy good and only one strut held the bonnet up on it's own. Now when you open the bonnet, once you lift it up by around a foot you can let it go and the struts take it up the rest of the way on their own, Magic...

Removal

Prop up the bonnet with something.

unscrew one of the top securing pins with a 12mm open end spanner.

Unscrew the bottom securing pin with the same spanner and remove the strut

Fitting

Screw in the two new securing pins that comes with the strut where the old ones came out. 13mm open end spanner.

Push the new strut on to the pins. It just pops on. (thick end of the stut goes to the top)

Carry out the same for the strut on the other side.

One happy bunny... No more bonnet dropping on my head.

FYI, the struts I received are manufactured by a company called Strongarm.

I did take photos, but I'm not sure how to upload them on this forum. I might try when I have time.

Andy

OK, New struts fitted in roughly 10 minutes for the pair. :flowers: They are realy good and only one strut held the bonnet up on it's own. Now when you open the bonnet, once you lift it up by around a foot you can let it go and the struts take it up the rest of the way on their own, Magic...

Removal

Prop up the bonnet with something.

unscrew one of the top securing pins with a 12mm open end spanner.

post-48163-0-74720100-1391543717_thumb.j

Unscrew the bottom securing pin with the same spanner and remove the strut

post-48163-0-74392600-1391543773_thumb.j

Fitting

Screw in the two new securing pins that comes with the strut where the old ones came out. 13mm open end spanner.

post-48163-0-32755600-1391543863_thumb.j

Push the new strut on to the pins. It just pops on. (thick end of the stut goes to the top)

post-48163-0-58946800-1391544072_thumb.j

Carry out the same for the strut on the other side.

One happy bunny... No more bonnet dropping on my head.

FYI, the struts I received are manufactured by a company called Strongarm.

post-48163-0-96139700-1391544112_thumb.j

post-48163-0-60203000-1391543917_thumb.j

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the update. What price option did you go for? I can't see the brand that you received on the website.

Thanks

Azeem

They were these ones SACHS Part # SG429032 for the LS430 at just over £12.75 each.

Andy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links