Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Smoke, Oil And Water Issues

Badger1966

Hi all,
Firstly I would like to say how great it is here! Fantastic info, I have learned allot indeed. Well I've just got my self an IS220D SE, actually got it on 23rd December 2013.The car is 2007 with 130k miles but one owner and full Lexus history up to date. The car had an entirely new engine fitted at 98000 miles in May 2012 and as such I thought I would be safe from the known engine issues. But I'm not so sure I am safe! So I will explain my situation. I have never owned a Lexus before and was more than happy with the test drive. Compared to my old Rover 75 diesel it was amazing, lol. But as with all my cars I put a high flow air filter in so the engine can breathe more efficiently.
So I got a K&N air filter and fitted it. The filter I took out was so dirty you would not believe it! I even had to hoover out the air box as there was so much crap in it. The difference was amazing, it felt like I just bolted another 50 horses on. I was amazed to say the least :D
Since then, or it may have been happening before I changed the air filter and I did not notice, I have noticed smoke from the exhaust, so after some research I decided to take the EGR off and clean it. My god the bolts were tight to say the least, but quite a straight forward job really. Well, this was two weeks ago. And the engine feels much better again. Much smoother and pulls better. But I have noticed my fuel consumption has gone down. It was around 31 mpg now is hovering around mid 29 mpg. I did take the Battery out so maybe the computer is sorting it self out? I don't know. I always use Millers diesel additive as well.
The car is still smoking, it only seems to smoke when I am at idle almost exactly 3 miles from my place of work, on my way home, in the traffic at the same set of traffic lights. Never smokes on my way into work. The smoke seems to vary in colour, whitish to greyish to blueish to brownish and not in that order. It lasts for approx 1 min. Then clears before, or as I drive away. A few days ago I was on the motorway for a short time. I think I was in 2nd gear and I floored it, took of really quick and then it stopped accelerating for a moment and then accelerated again. It was like I took my foot off the accelerator momentarily. Very odd and very disconcerting. It happened to me again tonight, 2nd gear, accelerated hard and at around 2500rpm the same thing.
Now at the time I cleaned the EGR I checked the oil, it was half way between the high and low marks. Today I checked it and it is only just on the bottom of the dip stick :o And I checked the water and it was well below the minimum :o :o
I'm thinking this is all adding up to bad news indeed. But I don't understand it having problems on a replacement engine that's only done 32k miles.
Well thanks for reading, and I appreciate any comments and feedback. I am booking it into Lexus next week as it's a little overdue for a basic oil and filter service
(£208 :crybaby: ) Is there anything I should be asking them?
I also noticed when I topped it up with a ltr of oil the engine seems to be breathing a little on the heavy side, obvious smoke from where you pour the oil in. Not clouds of it but definitely visible. Are there any known issues with any breathers blocked? Or any other known problem that may cause this?
And just to add, there is no sign of oil in the coolant, and no sign of coolant in the oil.
Sorry this is getting a bit fragmented, but I first started this in the wrong place so I have started again here. (Hope its the right place. Its my first post) And I'm adding more info as I go.
Well thanks again for reading. Fingers crossed!

post-48960-0-78671300-1391458083_thumb.j

post-48960-0-96428600-1391458116_thumb.j

post-48960-0-08066200-1391458124_thumb.j

post-48960-0-19734900-1391458135_thumb.j

post-48960-0-75237900-1391458145_thumb.j

post-48960-0-05771700-1391458165_thumb.j

Hi Gary, was the engine change done buy Lexus and have all the services since the change been carried out by Lexus? It's definitely a bit worrying that water and oil levels are dropping, if the engine change was done by Lexus I would hope they will cover any issues but this might be dependant on where it has been serviced since.

Helloooo, When I brought the car I had the service book with all the Lexus stamps up to 120k miles. But I didn't have any supporting paperwork. I contacted Lexus Cardiff where the car was serviced and after much talking they did say they had put a new engine in. at 98k miles. But they couldn't supply any actual copies of work done, although they did send me a list of dates the car had work done. But that does not give any real info. I have also contacted the previous owner who happened to be a business and said that the car never wanted for anything. The person who drove the car at the company apparently loved the car. They were very nice people and are looking for the supporting paperwork for me. so fingers crossed if there is an issue it will be covered.

That sounds good then, as long as Lexus Cardiff support the fact the work was done hopefully Lexus will do something about this. I'd go for the service as usual and explain to them what us happening with the oil and water and smoke, explain it's had a new engine fitted by Lexus Cardiff only 22k miles ago and then sit back and see what they say. Its got full Lexus service history so after 22k they should be obliged to sort this if it is a serious problem. Good look and keep us updated!

Hi Gaz, it now has 130k miles. It's just the last stamp was 120k miles so new engine has 32k miles. I've only done around 400 miles since I bought it though. And yes, I know it's over due a service and fingers crossed Lexus won't hold that against me. I am going to book her in tomorrow and I will let you know how I get on. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello all.

Well it's been a while I'm sorry to say :blush: Never been great at keeping in touch. And yep, you've guessed it, another problem. To start with, lets update things. After the service, Lexus said the car was as clean as a whistle. No problems with it at all which was nice to hear as it's got 130000 miles on it. As for the oil consumption, they said it could use up to a litre of oil every 1000 miles, scary. But I have done around 2800 miles now and I suppose it has used around a quarter of a litre of oil. I topped it up on Thursday and as before, it still seems to be breathing a little heavy, smoke from the oil filler hole, but no worse than it was when I got the car. As for the water, since I topped it up, it has gone from full to about a quarter full. Although when I looked at it the engine was hot so I don't know if that makes a difference. Of course I will now check it later when it's cold. As for the smoke, it got better and stopped smoking as the ambient temperatures got higher. I can only assume it was down to the cold weather. Which was nice. The car has been driving well, although I still keep getting an unbelievably bad flat spot in power at 2500 rpm when I accelerate hard, which I don't do often, but when I do need to, its a real pain. I can only liken it to literally taking your foot off the accelerator and then back on again. A total loss power for a second and then continues to take off like a scalded cat! It needs sorting if any one has any ideas.

So, onto the new problem. The dreaded Check VSC light with a warning triangle, the traction control light and a light that looks like and engine have come on. I live in Bristol and had to go to Croydon. Around 140 miles. I thought great as about 95% of my travelling is around town.So I got there no problem. I kept the engine over 2500rpm as much as I could all the way and the car felt great, didn't miss a beat. While I was there, a thunderstorm took place, lots of rain etc. On the way home, less than 3 miles, I drove through two large pools of water, not fast though. After the second pool of water, a couple of minute later after stopping at a roundabout, the dash lit up. OMG I thought, and then I pulled away with virtually no power at all. My heart sank. It would hardly rev above 2000rpm and was so slow I could barely keep up with congested traffic. But had to get home despite the 140 miles to go which filled me with fear. Once I got moving it wasn't so bad, keeping up to 30 or 40mph was achievable although even the slightest hill slowed me down. But I made it to Chieveley Services at J13 and decided to see if turning the engine off would help, or not. I couldn't take driving at 40 to 50mph on the motorway any more. Don't ask my why, but I stopped the engine, without my foot off the clutch I held the start button in for 10 seconds. I've no idea what possessed me to do this. Or why I repeated it 3 or 4 times. I started the engine again and gave it a few revs. Still seemed the same. Any way, we went into the services and went back to the car about 15 mins later. I started the car, left it ticking over for no more than 30 seconds before the engine cut out. I looked at my already terrified wife and thought omg this is it, dead. But I started the car again, it kept going, and I pulled away. And much to my surprise and amazement, and despite all the warning lights, I had power again! Like nothing was wrong. I made it to the motorway slip road and noticed an amazing amount of black smoke in my mirrors, so bad you could hardly see anything behind. My heart sank again, thinking maybe turbo blown. Literally as I joined the motorway, it turned into a car park and we were stationary. A few minutes later the black smoke stopped. And I still had power. After I think almost an hour of stop start, we got moving again and the car was fine, full power all the way home! I kept it between 2500 and 3000rpm all the way and it didn't miss a beat, and no more smoke.

I started it this morning and again all the lights on , but still had power. I had read about the fuel cap, so made sure that was tight, but still the lights are on. I disconnected the Battery, left it for an hour and have just reconnected it. All lights have gone out and all seems normal. Crazy car. Is this all pointing to the DPF on it's last legs?

Cheers

I can only assume that the problem occurred due to water ingress into a sensor connector. The ECU detected an abnormal sensor and put itself into limp mode to protect the engine - this would explain the lack of power and potentially more smoke as it will run the engine slightly rich.

Certain error conditions will illuminate the warning lights and keep them on until reset, even if the fault clears. Others will keep the light on until three trouble free cycles (normally three journeys). It may be that the warning light would have gone out on its own.

Unfortunately by disconnecting the Battery you have cleared the error history. This means we cannot determine what the error was, only speculate.

I would take the vehicle on a bit of a run, say 10+ miles, to see if the light comes on again. Certain errors are only detected once the engine is fully up to temperature and certain other conditions met.

Cheers Colin

Didn't think about the Battery resetting the fault code. But having said that I don't have anything to read the code. I did think about the water aspect, and although it may be likely, I really didn't go through the water fast. But who knows, I guess it only takes a small amount of water in the wrong place. Bare in mind that the smoke only happened after the car got power again. It did not smoke up to that point. I guess it was clearing it's throat so to speak. I will try going on a little journey later today and report back.

Many thanks.

• 11 months later...

Hello all,

My how the time goes by! Well I have been having ongoing problems for months now. The car's dash lights up and the car looses almost all power. So I pull over and turn the engine off. When I start it again it has normal power again and the dash resets it's self after a day or two. And this happens sometimes every day or it could be a couple of weeks apart. It seems to mainly do it within half a mile of starting a journey and almost always only early in the morning. Maybe something to do with slightly cooler/damper air? I don't know. Any way I cleaned the EGR again a couple of months ago, around 7500 miles after the first time I did it. But that didn't stop the problem. Yesterday I cleaned the MAF sensor, it was as black as the ace of spades. And I must say the car keeps feeling better and better the more I drive it. Power seems smoother and more of it. Pulling better up hill as well. Time will tell if it has cured the problem I have mentioned. Well all this week I will be driving at around 6.45am so lets see what happens.

On another note I was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations about cleaning the EGR No.2 on the opposite side of the engine, behind the turbo. It appears to be attached the the EGR cooler. But I think it will be possible to detach the EGR and leave the cooler in place. Try these photobucket links for pics, I hope it works...

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/Badger1966/media/Lexus%20IS220D/EGR_No.2_Assembly_1.1_zpsfxz6srct.png.html?sort=2&o=0

This one shows the tube and the nuts/bolts that I think need to be removed before I could just take the EGR off...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll8/Badger1966/Lexus%20IS220D/EGR_No.2%20Assembly_2.1_zpsrvwhg3hv.png?t=1436038990

I can't seem to attach a picture here so I hope the links work. I got the links by right clicking the pics and clicking "copy link location" Fingers crossed.

Cheers all.

Hi All,

Quick update, Yesterday weather ok, today raining. Got about 500 yards from my house, came to a stop at a T junction and dash lights up and loss of power. Turn engine off, back on again and back to full power and I expect as usual the dash will reset itself by tomorrow. Also still suffering from power loss at 2500rpm under hard acceleration. If you keep your foot down it also happens at 3000, 3500, 4000rpm etc. like its kangarooing. Loss of power accelerate, loss of power accelerate and so on. Like a switch on and off. It’s not a misfire or like an injectors not working, it's just like ignition is turned off and back on. Doesn’t seem to happen in first gear and I haven't been anywhere I can go fast enough to see if it happens in 3rd or 4th gear etc. Maybe because in 2nd gear the load on the engine is higher? I don't know. Also proves cleaning the MAF did not cure the problem, but it was worth doing as I can feel a difference in the car. Again I will keep updating. And does anyone know of a way of getting the fault codes without getting it plugged in at Lexus? Aslo I was wondering if any one has any thoughts on my previous message about the other EGR. I must also apologise for not responding to earlier thread. I now have alot more time on my hands.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Just took breather pipe off rocker and also pipe from airbox to turbo inlet. All clear but did notice oil in turbo inlet. Is this normal?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll8/Badger1966/Lexus%20IS220D/Turbo%20inlet%201_zpszkedu2ep.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll8/Badger1966/Lexus%20IS220D/Turbo%20inlet%202_zpsk90c1iki.jpg

Helloooo

Also just checked Differential Pressure Sensor hoses. I blew through each hose whilst still connected to the metal pipes and I could blow quite freely. I can't find any where on here about cleaning the actual Pressure Sensor though. Can you just squirt cleaner into each hole? Oh canyou actually take it apart to clean? Really hoping some one responds to my various posts.

Thanks

Hi mate,

I was going to say get your turbo checked out as I think the turbo is not active in 1st gear, hence why you seem to be ok in 1st, I believe the turbo kicks in around 1800rpm from 2nd gear onwards, so your problems could be turbo related, I hope other members will have a better input then me, I hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

I would also get a decent code reader so that you can check when you get the MIL lights.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Hi KC14,

Thanks for your reply. Well I am not sure the turbo could cause the sudden loss of power or the imidiate gain of power. We all suffer the turbo lag, although that is more of a problem of the time it takes to spin fast enough. I am just not sure the turbo could loose or gain power so quickly. And also in such a consistant rhythm. I would have thought it would fail, or work. Unless something is making it cut in and out. I also don't really use any oil, 1ltr in 10000 miles. And also, it doesnt chuck out any smoke under hard acceleration. I have no idea, lol. But I am considering getting...

" 2015 TECHSTREAM TIS TOYOTA LEXUS SCION DIAGNOSTIC MINI OEM VCI Interface scanner "

eBay item 271922634101. This seems to be the only one quoting 64 bit compatilibility. Others also say "K-Line" compatible but after contacting they don't think it is. I have read alot about these things and it seems a bit hit or miss as to wheather it will work or not. I have contacted seller for more info. If you google "MVCI 1.4.1" you come accross all sorts of problems from not woking at all to 64bit OS compatibilty issues etc etc. So I want to be sure before I buy. Any way, thanks again and I keep you all updated.

Well I got a reply. The eBay seller confirms it has firmware virsion 1.4.7 which is good. And confirms it will work and be fully functioning. So I just brought it. Fingers crossed and I will update in due course.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links