Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Weekend With The Lexus 300H

Well as some of you already know I had a long weekend with a 300h for free from Lexus. Right where do I start.... well when I am asked what I thought my initial response is......well it didnt suprise me or wow me in any way. Dont get me wrong, its a car and half but it was like sitting in my 250 wrapped up in a new shell. I prefer the look of it especially the front end. This was the base model so no leather or heated seats but at last a Satnav worth using!!. Full postcode input using a very easy to use joystick on the centre console, no more finger prints on the screen. the screen itself is a lot better quality but again preferred the sound of the stereo in my own car.

With it been a hybrid it is strange pressing start and all you get is a beep. Its sets off and reminds me of a milk float but its good to know its leaving your petrol alone. 3 modes of driving, Eco, normal and Sports. twist the dial to sports and the engine kicks straight in, the dials turn red and display a rev counter rather than when in Eco its blue and displays a charge indicator.

When giving it some hammer it does shift but to me sounded rather noisy, maybe I was just used to the quietness of it for most of the day so really notices it when the engine kicked in.

I went from South Elmsall in West Yorkshire to Cropton in North Yorkshire with a trip to Malton and Picklering. the car feels solid, sticks to the corners and feels light. While driving it felt to me a smaller car than my 250, not sure about the exact dimensions etc of this car.

No more rubber button on door handles, there is just a slight indent on the handle itself to a nicer finish. DAB radio too which was usefull while out in the Countryside with intermittent signals. I noticed it had Google Street View on the satnav option menu but you needed an account with Lexus to login.

I also like how the satnav directions are also put between the dials on the dash as well as the screen, very usefull. Even when Satnav is not on it told me the road name I was on and warned of speed cameras.

All in all a great car, I averaged 46 mpg all weekend. Would I buy one new?? NO Second hand in a few years, a very good possibility, dependant on price!

post-46871-0-68078300-1392207837_thumb.j

post-46871-0-25687100-1392207870_thumb.j

post-46871-0-58668600-1392207893_thumb.j

post-46871-0-08341100-1392207919_thumb.j

post-46871-0-93482900-1392207944_thumb.j

post-46871-0-50018900-1392207972_thumb.j

I too had a 300h the other day....this is what i put up on the 300h forum at the end of Jan

My 250 was in for a service so I took the opportunity to try out a 300h for a few hours. This is not a car write up its just a couple of hours observations.

First time in one, the only other hybrid I’d driven was the CT200h. It was a 2013 Se model in Satin Silver. Very nice body contours and the spindle grill all make for a very distinctive and pleasing look.

Very different dash layout which took a little understanding. In fairness you could say that of any new car I guess. Navigated around the MM unit and got my phone bluetoothed and a Sat Nav destination input too. The seats are firmer for sure although they do grip you well too. Leg room across the thighs is much less than my 250. My left leg was up against the centre console the entire drive. I’m not a biggie (6ft and 13st) but a larger person would be cramped I feel. Not a lot more on the door side either.

Nice to see 2 USB’s and a power socket in the centre console. Don’t particularly like the 2 cup recesses being on permanent display and the console lid is a bit plasticky and light.

Anyway..fire her up and off we go. Is it running…yes it is…barely audible. Nice pull away and acceleration with subtle gear changing. I’m in D mode to start while I get the feel of it. The car feels bigger than my 250…it probably isn’t but it feels so. Its very quiet indeed, all you hear is tyre and road noise. Tyre choice may be crucial. I had Turanzas on 16” wheels so the ride would be more cushioned than my 250 on 18” wheels. The car feels nicely planted on the road and the steering has a very nice weight to it. Better than my 250. Either they have tweaked the electric steering or the Battery weight is perhaps a factor.

Refuelling caught me out….where the heck is the cover lid button.? There isn’t one! With the car unlocked you just press the fuel cover lid and it pops open.

Nice to see the Nav has been improved in some areas. Noticeable is the audble warning of approaching speed cameras and a visual of the speed limit to. Let’s you know when you are over it with a 'ding'. Like all Navs it tried to send me up a farm track that was most definitely not a road.

Indicator stalk takes a bit of getting used to. It’s a sort of soft touch type release. So you can easily end up signalling Left then Right then Left until you’ve worked it out!

I spent several hours driving on different road types and using ECO, Sport and D mode. Like my 250 there are also the paddles and the ability to toggle the gear stick manually if you desire. Stick her in Sport mode and there is considerable wellie at your feet. This thing shifts impressively. I’d like to take her across France…maybe 70mpg is achieveable.

I drove carefully at first and got to 62mpg and upon return was showing 53mpg. Overall I have to say I was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is a very nice car to drive and looks very good too. As I said earlier this is just a brief foray. Didn't even check out the boot or jump in the back to see what leg room was like.

It’s definitely something I would consider next time round. Zero road tax is rather nice too!

• Like 1

GaryD1975, was your empathic NO to buying new because of the depreciation factor, because of it being a brand new model, or just because it's a daft amount of money to spend on a lump of metal, nice as it maybe?

Just interested not nosey.

Dont get me wrong, this is a great car, maybe if I had come from a non Lexus car I may have been wowed a lot more. Yes there is a big difference to my 07 plate IS250 but not enough to justify another 25-30k in price. Yes it looks nicer, better mpg etc etc but im quite happy in my older model to be honest. It didnt make me want to rush out and order one. Like I say in the future when im ready for a change it will be a high contender to look at as a used model. May sound daft but ive never liked 'new' cars. I had one once years ago and had nothing but teething trouble with it and to be honest I think cars are highly overpriced new, its amazing how much they drop in price in just 6 months.

While i remember while i had the car 2 separate passengers commented on the cup holders. Neither liked the fact they were where there arm would rest making it uncomfortable and one said he would have liked there to have been maybe a sliding padded cover to put across when not in use. I cant comment on this as i didnt sit in the passenger seat.

I still love Lexus, best car ive ever owned and when its due for a change of car will probably go Lexus, I just cant find any reason to change yet unless I win the Lottery and I may treat myself to an Aston Martin :)

The F Sport is the pick of the bunch!

I think the Fsport suits better on 350 with the new 8 speed gearbox active suspension. It just doesn't do it on a 300h.

Yes, I'm sure you're right, but not available in the UK. having said that, the 300h F Sport, IMO, is an excellent car with 3 distinct driving style options and excellent fuel economy.

Yes, I'm sure you're right, but not available in the UK. having said that, the 300h F Sport, IMO, is an excellent car with 3 distinct driving style options and excellent fuel economy.

I know, its a shame that we don't get 350 in Europe. We don't even get the AWD model.

I even think the Fsport package suits better on a 250 than 300h. Too bad the 250 doesn't receive the new 8 speed gearbox and the active suspension that 350 Fsport has. Strange decisions from Lexus, I must say.

I agree, I considered alternatives because of the RWD only, AWD would be a great option. The US in particular seem to have very limited choice, especially in F Sport. There must be some logic to it but I can't see it.

I agree, I considered alternatives because of the RWD only, AWD would be a great option. The US in particular seem to have very limited choice, especially in F Sport. There must be some logic to it but I can't see it.

It must be that if they offer all options on Fsport, it will affect the sale on the regular luxury version. I personally think the options they miss out on Fsport is not a big deal. The car is pretty well equipped anyway. Here in Europe, the most sales of IS will be middle equipped regular version of 300h, as company fleet cars. So they can offer all options on Fsport for private buyers. It won't fit in to the company car price range anyway. :)

That's just want I think. :)

I don't like the dash on the new is .the centre console is awful .i had the f sport ct for a couple of days , that's awful .the f sport 350 h is a nice car but the power is poor like the 250. Shame all they need is a little more bhp.50 bhp maybe .

Power is poor? We dont all need an ISF mate!

I don't like the dash on the new is .the centre console is awful .i had the f sport ct for a couple of days , that's awful .the f sport 350 h is a nice car but the power is poor like the 250. Shame all they need is a little more bhp.50 bhp maybe .

You know what I meant mate , I meant across the range they could do with an extra 50 bhp . It would make a massive difference to the cars .

I actually didn't want an isf , wasn't bothered , I wanted a more powerfull Is . I would have been very happy with an is350 but as you know there not available .

You know what I meant mate , I meant across the range they could do with an extra 50 bhp . It would make a massive difference to the cars .

I actually didn't want an isf , wasn't bothered , I wanted a more powerfull Is . I would have been very happy with an is350 but as you know there not available .

I get what you mean but of course the 2 litre 4 pot turbo is coming out this year and will most likely make it to the IS. It should have somewhere between 240-270hp. Although to be honest, I never felt that the 300h or 250 were particularly slow. They just need the guts revved out of them unlike the turbo's nowadays

I get what you mean but of course the 2 litre 4 pot turbo is coming out this year and will most likely make it to the IS. It should have somewhere between 240-270hp. Although to be honest, I never felt that the 300h or 250 were particularly slow. They just need the guts revved out of them unlike the turbo's nowadays

If they fit that to the IS that would make it superb

If they fit that to the IS that would make it superb
It cost so much for the 300 h f sport , why didn't they just give it a little more pull .

The car looks fantastic .but is similar to the is250 power .

On paper it's the same, but the IS250 (and GS) behaves very much like a typical non-Turbo VVT engine - all the power comes after 4000 RPM

With the 300h, the push comes a little earlier due to the motor - so whilst on paper it's similar, in reality the H feels faster and a little more responsive, especially in town where it matters the most and noticeable the most.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links