Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys,

As said in my previous post I have a few questions and queries about my recently purchased LS.

Due to the weather situation all over the UK I still haven't been able to go over the car like I would normally but so far I'm presently surprised.

OK lets start.

Now I've been about for a bit in the modding game and I don't mind getting my hands dirty (bodywork, mechanical) never electrical!!!

Firstly gave the car a Lil service fluids, filters front pads and disc's, original discs were warped and pads trashed (even though it was meant to have past mot with these late Nov 2013!!) It had a bad vibration slowing down from high speed and a weird problem with the abs at slow speed when on full right lock, it happened a few times when reversing out of my drive or trying three point turn, I put this down to the discs being warped and it catching the high point...... but It did it again the other morning with the new parts, it is only at low speed with foot on brake and full right turn it makes the abs fire and you can feel it through the brake peddle pulsating?

Secondly got round to draining the diff!!!!

Now not sure if its totally corroded or its been rounded off before but a 10mm Hex spanner will not fit and a 9mm is to small I've done a search on here and Google and its coming up as 10mm Hex anyone else had a prob? I'm doing this work in my driveway on the floor so getting a proper look isn't poss (wish I had room for ramps lol!)

Boot leak, I have ordered new rubber and removed all carpet to dry it out, is there a water run along the top of the near rear window that may be blocked or is it a common problem that may have a cure?

How the "F" do you replace bulbs in Headlights do I really need to take the Battery and remove half the Airfilter housing I can clearly see to bolts holding them in along the front but undoing doesn't release them!!??!!

Thank you help or info would be gratefully appreciated from this confused LS owner!!

Russ! B)

Cannot help with it all, but

Boot Leak, it is just where the sealant dries out then you get a sort of capillary effect and it crosses over the threshold, and travels down to roughly where the boot lock is, and then fills up the spare wheel base.

Make sure you clean off the old sealant completely, before refitting. It took about an hour to do, and plenty of old rags, and isopropanol to get it ready.

For the Headlamp, you can do it without removing Battery, so see this link this gave me clear idea of what to do.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/81263-ls400-mk4-yr-2000-dipped-bulb-gone/

Be careful popping the indicator and not damage paint work.

sounds like you have some work to do, but worth it in the end with the front end, my MK2 had similar issues, but on any lock, but got rid of it as a parts store for a mate restoring his Mk2.

Best of luck

Low speed activation of the ABS is usuually down to a fault on one of the wheel sensors and with it only occuring on hard lock I would be looking at the wiring to the 2 front sensors.

Diff should be 10mm hex,perhaps a good clean of the plug where the key fits may help insertion of the correct size,they can be tight but make sure you remove the fill plug before the drain plug just incase one doesn't move.

Parking with the car facing downhill can cause water to overflow the seal and enter the boot, there are rubber plugs in the boot to assist with draining.

Pete, replacing front bulbs is easy. Undo the small philips screw on top of the indicator lens then pry the lens away from the headlight towards the side of the car. It will pop off the clip and upper guide pin. Use a bit of force. This will expose the 10mm nuts holding the headlamp on. Wiggle it free and you can get to the connectors easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry been crippled by "Manflu" past fortnight :rolleyes: Thanks for the replies and links guys, they have been extremely helpful.

Now a couple of electrical probs.

1, My electric aerial goes up as soon as i turn the ignition on even with stereo off?

2, Rear passenger auto close window if pushed it closes then drops down again?

Any tips?

Russ.

my aerial does that,it had an after market one fitted before i had it,i think the wiring been adapted,prob cos the lexus one is arm and leg,it doesnt bother me,i did replace mine a year ago with the same after market item

Here is an aerial tip I learned on a 1994 LS 400.

I took the car through a car wash with the aerial extended (yes, I know). I took the car to the Lexus/Toyota dealer in The Hague in Holland, expecting to pay a fortune for a new aerial. The Service Manager said 'no problem, the insert is exactly the same as the Toyota Camry'. He changed the insert in 5 mins and charged me 55 euros.

So, if like me, you're stupid enough to take it through a car wash with aerial extended, or anything else which only damages the insert.........get the bit for a Camry.

Thanks for the tip Tulpen, I will look into it knowing my luck the 1998 will prob be different and will need a oem one.

BigJap, Yeah that's what i thought it was or maybe someone had wired it straight to ignition. it does my head in as I don't listen to the radio much and its always up!!

I'm being lazy as not looked yet but I'm sure I'm also getting water in from the fixing so needs sorting asap.

Any ideas on the rear window prob guys?

Russ.

just confirm :

on the mark 3 the aerial can be extended or retracted by the user depending on what function you are using.

On the Mark 4 the aerial is always extended regardless of what mode the stereo is in - the only time it will retract during driving is if you switch off the audio altogether

HTH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links