Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought My First Lexus Sc Today!

ianc66

Hi guys,

I've had a look around and thought I'd post.

I'm a huge fan of convertibles and have owned a couple of Audi TT's, Mazda MX5, Mini Roadster and Golf Cabriolet.

I've been looking for a Mark 1 Audi TT roadster as a weekend car without much luck, along with BMW Z4's

Last night I came across an ad for a Lexus SC430, 2004 in silver, with black leather interior. Just one owner, 42,000 miles and all Lexus services done.

I'm picking it up next week, but I wonder if you guys can help me with a couple of queries.

I've seen about the Lexus service plans on another thread, so will call them about that.

Do I need to get the timing belt changed? How much should it cost and does it have to be done by Lexus?

There isn't an aux point, but I need to be able to use my phone handsfree. Is there a Bluetooth kit recommended that doesn't need to be screwed into the car?

Are there any other does and dont's I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Hi

I checked around and found that the Lexus dealer in Leeds was only £50 more than the independent garages I tried ,so for piece of mind I had them do mine 3wks ago .it was £750 all in for timing belt ,water pump and a new header bottle .

The bottle was £178+ vat on its own (and yes 178 for a plastic bottle) but a least I know its all good for summer.

I spent £1,000 on timing belt, water pump (always do the pump whilst the belt is off), full major service, including aircon repump. Since then I've only had 'critical care service' done which was about £200. For peace of mind I'd go for main dealer, but others on this forum will disagree :)

I spent £1,000 on timing belt, water pump (always do the pump whilst the belt is off), full major service, including aircon repump. Since then I've only had 'critical care service' done which was about £200. For peace of mind I'd go for main dealer, but others on this forum will disagree :)

Yes I would... I prefer a decent engineer to a main dealer apprentice..

Hi guys,

I've had a look around and thought I'd post.

I'm a huge fan of convertibles and have owned a couple of Audi TT's, Mazda MX5, Mini Roadster and Golf Cabriolet.

I've been looking for a Mark 1 Audi TT roadster as a weekend car without much luck, along with BMW Z4's

Last night I came across an ad for a Lexus SC430, 2004 in silver, with black leather interior. Just one owner, 42,000 miles and all Lexus services done.

I'm picking it up next week, but I wonder if you guys can help me with a couple of queries.

I've seen about the Lexus service plans on another thread, so will call them about that.

Do I need to get the timing belt changed? How much should it cost and does it have to be done by Lexus?

There isn't an aux point, but I need to be able to use my phone handsfree. Is there a bluetooth kit recommended that doesn't need to be screwed into the car?

Are there any other does and dont's I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

My 430 Sc has Bluetooth built it.. not sure if its just the 2005 up cars... Its set up on the Sat Nav interface.

Hi ianc66,

I bought my first SC430 two days ago, I hope you are as pleased with your purchase as I am with mine. I'd love to hear what your first impressions are.

Wish the sun would come out, I'm dying to get the roof down.

Denise

Hi Denise,

I'm very excited to collect mine on Saturday.

I think it's a Marmite car. I happen to love it though.

It's booked into Lexus on Monday to get the timing belt changed and they're going to give it an examination.

I must admit though if it's dry the roof is down!

Ian

Well I collected my car this morning.

Unfortunately it started raining just as we arrived at the garage.

The journey home was sublime. There was no need to put my foot down, I just wafted along.

It's amazing how many glances the car gets.

I do have another question. Do you just usal the regular unleaded petrol, or can you use the higher grade?

Thanks

Glad to hear you have bought an SC, I have only owned mine since Aug 2013. I bought it with a Lexus full service history, even got the original purchase invoice and every bit a paper work for everything, so I have continued to have it serviced by Lexus, it seemed a shame to break the chain, ( got to help when it comes to selling it).

I have a Lexus service agreement that costs £37 per month. I hope you will agree they are fantastic to drive.

John

Hi

I checked around and found that the Lexus dealer in Leeds was only £50 more than the independent garages I tried ,so for piece of mind I had them do mine 3wks ago .it was £750 all in for timing belt ,water pump and a new header bottle .

The bottle was £178+ vat on its own (and yes 178 for a plastic bottle) but a least I know its all good for summer.

Did you know you needed a new header bottle before the car went in ?

Well I collected my car this morning.

Unfortunately it started raining just as we arrived at the garage.

The journey home was sublime. There was no need to put my foot down, I just wafted along.

It's amazing how many glances the car gets.

I do have another question. Do you just usal the regular unleaded petrol, or can you use the higher grade?

Thanks

I have used both for a time I used that expensive Shell stuff just to see if it made any difference but I didn't notice much however I do think it did give slightly better MPG, not enough to warrant the extra cost. There is no need to use higher octane rated fuel in the SC430

• 1 month later...

To alphacat

Sorry I've just seen your question.yes I did .the car went in for airbag recall and that's when they told me I needed a new header bottle as it was leaking from the seam ,there was splatter over the surrounding parts ,I do have my doubts though as my engine bay was so clean as I keep it that way ,

But the rest of the car got a full bill of health ,so bring on the summer.john.

To alphacat

Sorry I've just seen your question.yes I did .the car went in for airbag recall and that's when they told me I needed a new header bottle as it was leaking from the seam ,there was splatter over the surrounding parts ,I do have my doubts though as my engine bay was so clean as I keep it that way ,

But the rest of the car got a full bill of health ,so bring on the summer.john.

Just being my usual suspicious self.. I have been driving for 52 years I know a number of car mechanics and dealers. I was a Marine Engineer (seems like it was another life now) and used to race power boats and I know quite a lot of the tricks dealers use to rip of people...

Its very easy to make plastic bottle leak at the seams(its a classic easy to do money earner and very difficulty to argue with even if you had seen it without a leak that very day. They are not cheap and the profit margins are high. Its easy to fit usually to so a great way to add to the bill.

So many people just don't have any idea bout how easy they are to fleece by a smiling main dealer and the half trained crew they have working for them. The other money earner for dealers is corroded brake pipes. They make lots of money (that really doesn't need spending) on that one.

At least you knew.. Have a good summer with the roof down .............

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links