Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Viewing/collecting Ls400 Tomorrow!

Hi all,

I have been looking for a LS400 for a long while now, i want one to play with, give it some VIP styling. Ideally wanted one with a built in Sat nav etc but the one im getting (hopefully) tomorrow has everything else i want other than this, Black with gold badges and cream interior at a good price :) happy happy me!

First of all i just wondered if you guys could please give me any type of buyers guide as in things for me to check tomorrow and be cautious of. It only has 85k miles on it which is pretty dam good! Its a 95 so im guessing this is 2nd gen LS400?

I will no doubt be posting here alot in the coming future.

Cheers in advance all.

Rich

Hi Rich and welcome.

You are correct that the 1995 is a second gen ,known as a Mk3 .If the car has been serviced regularly you should be ok ,the power steering system can leak and if there are any clunks when turning slowly or going over speed bumps it may need some suspension work. The timing belt will be due next year if using the US ten year replacement rule, this can be a bit expensive unless you do it yourself .

Most servicing is fairly straight forward on the LS ,if you can turn a spanner they can be low cost to run .Plus you get comfort and reliability few other cars can match.

Good luck with your VIPing.

Thank you!

The guy said its fully served and recently resprayed with new pads fitted etc BUT hasnt had the cambelt changed so that will be my first job, doubt i will be able to do it myself...so whats my best tact? How much you think i may be looking at spending on the labor for this?

Lexus dealers are doing cambelt changes for £295 (at least Sheffield Lexus is). It should have been done at 60,000 I believe, which is UK guideline. I'm not sure whether it's wise to change other components while it's being done, tensioner etc. Good luck with your 400, I love mine

For peace of mind if it was me I would go the whole hog and change all timing belt idlers ,tensioner and water pump as well using Lexus oem parts . As for cost the previous owner of my latest Mk3 paid £893 at Lexus Canterbury in 2009 ,this included an oil change and air filter but not the water pump .

Hugh's Sheffield Lexus deal sounds pretty good ,if you could find somewhere a bit nearer your location doing something similar .

Hello and welcome to the club, I hope all goes well when you see the car but it sounds to me like you have already bought it in your mind which can be very dangerous, from a money point of view. Remember you are going to view that car tomorrow and to find out as much as you can before you talk buying the car.

These cars are often referred to as bomb proof and that in the main is true but the car needs to have been looked after with as much service history as poss. There is always another one for sale.

Good luck, Mike

all depends if it was done at 60000,check bills or service records to see if done,its not due again till 120000 miles,or 10 years,some say 6yrs.if it has some lexus stamps,you may be able to check,

Cheers for your advice all.

I didnt collect on sunday as planned due to the guy putting it through MOT and it failing on front ball joints as there were some play in them. He has sourced these now and having them changed this week so should be collecting in a weeks time or so.....I cant wait!!! :)

Cheers for your advice all.

I didnt collect on sunday as planned due to the guy putting it through MOT and it failing on front ball joints as there were some play in them. He has sourced these now and having them changed this week so should be collecting in a weeks time or so.....I cant wait!!! :)

Make sure they are not cheapo eBay parts because the likelihood is that they will get through the test but wont last 5 mins.

Its generally accepted although steering and suspension parts aren't cheap from Lexus/Toyota they do last for a long long time. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links