Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone heard of or used this ?

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL

Its mentioned on a few Toyota forums mainly in the states - an oil additive used to clean noisy VVT valves. Put in the oil and ran for around 1500 miles and it is stated it cleans the valves...?

Mines due an oil change and I usually use Wynnes engine flush while changing the oil with no issues after years of use. but this is only used for a 20 minute engine run.

Have had a few times lately where the engine rattle has been apparent but only for a few seconds - have read its something to do with the oil pressure with it not feeding the valve reservoir quick enough due to it needing a clean. Anyone know if this can in fact be cleaned and would it be an easy job?

I am going to try and catch a recording of the noise which will be a long process as it doesn't do it on every startup.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if the valves on the v6 2.5 are hydraulic, shims, or nut and bolt ???? when I had my car serviced ,part of the service was to check the valve clearances , when I read the after service report it said the clearance was checked using a stethoscope !!! this must mean valves are hydraulic ,yes or no, I'm curious,

Allan

If anybody is interested, the valves are hydraulic , that's why they are so quiet, just make sure you use descent oil in the engine and change it regularly ....

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Allan,

That's interesting you say they are quiet as mine make a fast "thsss thsss thsss thsss......" noise when I start the engine and sings for a while but does reduce after the engine has fully warmed up...but doesn't go away completely.

Hi Ishaq, What mileage has your car done ? Mine has 85k , perhaps your engine could do with a engine oil flush before the oil change I only say this because that's what was done when I had my car serviced .....just a thought , it sounds like the oil is a bit slow to circulate around the engine, I could be wrong of course ( would not be the first time ! ) does not sound like a big problem though ... I think you get quite a bit of tappitt noise if there is bad oil circulation ....might be worth keeping a eye on or maybe a ear lol,

Allan

Hi Ishaq, What mileage has your car done ? Mine has 85k , perhaps your engine could do with a engine oil flush before the oil change I only say this because that's what was done when I had my car serviced .....just a thought , it sounds like the oil is a bit slow to circulate around the engine, I could be wrong of course ( would not be the first time ! ) does not sound like a big problem though ... I think you get quite a bit of tappitt noise if there is bad oil circulation ....might be worth keeping a eye on or maybe a ear lol,

Allan

Thanks Allan,

Mine has 69000 on the clock. Will consider a engine flush on the next service.

Any recommendation on what engine flush to use? Also will just draining it work or does the sump tray have to come out. (i mean will it cause any harm if a little of the flush remained whilst putting the new oil in)

Hi Ishaq, can't give a specific flushing oil , I had mine done at JEM who are in colidale nw9, there will not be very much of the flushing oil left in the sump after it's drained so no you would not have to take the sump pan off , my oil was really dirty and black when I first picked up my car so I had a service at JEMs within 2days ,they always give the engine a oil flush before a oil change apparently , when I collected my car I dipped the oil and it was clean as a whistle and has stayed clean for the last 300mls so worth doing I think.

Allan

Thanks Allan,

Collindale is not that far for me especially of the garage is honest and reliable.

How much did it cost you for the service?

I just had mine serviced at KwikFit for £100, and they were good but there are mixed reviews online, however I thinks it's certain branches that are bad.

I use Wynns engine flush - quite a decent make - I have had no problems with it in all the years I have used it.

On an oil change I will always run through some cheap oil after the flush just to see the result of the flush and to check the oil colour to make sure its clean (just something I have always done)

Once the oil change is complete its hard to spot the oil on the stick as its so clear.

Ishaq the cost of a minor service at JEM is £109 for small service oil change check vehicle etc major service approx £200 they do a collect and delivery service if you want or loan car you pay a £10 for insurance if you want this, they have a web site if you want more detail of what they offer, worth having a look.

Noo bie, how's your motor performing now ? No more problems I hope ! Are you warming to it a bit more now after all the grief it has given you.

Allan - Cars behaving - really need to do this years service on it but not finding the time at the moment - hoping to get stuck in at the weekend. Oil and filters. Will be changing the oil to a different make, have used Magnatec but not happy with it.

Have got a slight vibration while braking developing - will be doing the caliper pins when I change the oil also. The MOT which it recently passed reported a small brake imbalance on the front so I am thinking the pins are on their way out again.

Have since installed the auto folding mirror mod and can recommend it.

Your probably right jonas I'm just showing my age !!!!!!!! Anything is better than the shims to adjust valves ....was the worst job I ever had to do when doing my own service on my cars/motorbikes.

Allan

Hi noo bie, glad to hear the cars behaving, get them brakes sorted before the pins seize.......I did my front discs and pads two weeks ago then did the rear disc pads+ both rear calipers last weekend so my brakes are all sorted now, I'm maybe looking to do the mirror auto closer on my car in the near future, sorry all for going off subject,

Allan

Today ...... Oil change / Oil filter change / cabin filter change / caliper slide pins cleaned, re-greased.

Used Castrol Edge this time (5/30) - initially put 5 litres in turned the car over and then let it settle to get the level - on initial turn over I had the VVTI rattle once again - so I am glad I do now know where this sound is coming from .... the reservoir it sits in was probably empty or not to the correct level. By the way ... this is expensive oil at £102 for 8 litres (I have a bit spare now to top up if required) Also ran an engine flush through before the change for 20 minutes (Wynns) at fast idle.

Topped it up to the correct level after 2 hours - there is definitely a noticeable difference in the sound of the engine - its is a lot lot quieter. You can hear the injectors and that's it (with the bonnet closed) I have topped it up to the max level so whether this is why its so quiet? My last oil change was at 71,333 miles and this was with Magnatec and was changed in July last year.

I have attached a picture of the oil on the stick before I topped it up finally to the max level. Can hardly see it - I think I will monitor it just to see how long this stays clean. Mileage is currently at 76,989 so I will monitor this on a weekly basis and re-post the results with a picture to compare.

Slide pins were all fine but there was a bit of resistence on the top front ones (ones with the rubber seal on them) Noticed a small tear on the passenger side piston boot and there is a slight vibration when braking so it may need changing?

post-35349-0-55450100-1401557606_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links