Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dpf Filter?

ZiDanno

Hi, I have had an 07 plate Lexus is220 diesel for two years now, think I'm the fourth owner.

It's due an MOT and service, the garage I have had it too has had it for two weeks now. Coincidently it went into 'VSC mode' the week before it was due an MOT which prevented it going over 40mph.

The garage initially said they could sort it no problem, now they are telling me it has something to do with the 'DPF filter' which controls the emissions the car gives out, and it won't past the MOT unless it is replaced (pardon my vagueness, I'm a bit of a car novice). They have taken it back to Lexus, who wanted £1800 to sort it, but the garage have now said it will be £2400 to fix it with a Lexus part.

Does anyone know much about this and whether this is a fair price?

Any help would be really appreciated. Also, if it's an expensive job, would you recommend fixing it and keeping or part exchanging it?

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

OEM DPFs are very expensive ( as most Lexus parts are!)

Why is your garage charging more than what Lexus charge and why has it taken 2 weeks to diagnose?

Labour should be no more than 3 hours maximum tp replace the DPF.

Have a look at the link below, it may be worth buying one then asking your garage to fit it for around £150.00 labour.

Also ask for the old one back as they can be cleaned apparently.

Must admit the EGR valve is the more common cause did the garage provide any fault codes?

Has your garage shown you the diagnosis carried out by Lexus?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11058H-DIESEL-PARTICULATE-FILTER-DPF-TYPE-APPROVED-LEXUS-IS-2-2-10-2005-92-/301034693372

Thanks for the quick reply Steve.

I've got the information second hand so far. I think Lexus was on first inspection, I'm also having some other things done to it so I don't know if that price is all in. I'll check myself tomorrow.

But I'm certainly going to mention your suggestion, also going to take it to another garage to get a second opinion. I'll get quotes from both regarding fitting.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Hi Steve, or anyone else who wants to weigh in with an opinion.

I have been speaking to someone in the know about cars tonight. He has basically told me that the DPF is a non essential part of the car, and is only there is ensure it complies with certain European regulation. In fact, he said it is somewhat of a hindrance if you don't do a lot of motorway driving (which I don't) because it gets clogged up really quickly. Apparently there are garages that bypass the DPF and it is perfectly legal. I could also get the DPF removed and cleaned and sell it on, which would offset the cost of the bypass.

Does anyone know anything about this, or has anyone done it before. Would you advocate it on this forum? Thanks

For my 57 plate IS220d SEL three weeks ago it was the same story. Lexus dealers asked £900+vat for new DPF filter. I bought this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS-220-D-2-2-2005-DPF-CAT-PARTICULATE-EXHAUST-FILTER-CAT-COMBINED-/130823597326?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e75b1ad0e

Filter was replaced in independant garage (it took about 4-4,5h). Car now driving like new :)

• 1 month later...

Would it be worth trying Terraclean?

I have read the blurb / watch the video's and whilst sceptical, may be worth a punt at less than £150?

Would be interested to see if it could actually fix it, although a brand new one at £500 + fitting would definitely resolve it...

The money spent on Terraclean may be a waste...

https://www.terraclean.co.uk/find-a-local-agent

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links