Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is Main Dealer Servicing A Rip Off?

Enquired at the main dealers about a service on my IS250 auto (2008 with 10,000 miles) that's right just 10k with service history (not Lexus)

Was quoted 645 quid, was told it needed a MAJOR service and that includes replacing the spark plugs, plugs should not need replacing after 10,000 miles IMO.

Looking at the service schedule in the book, I realise I could do 80% of it myself as I have access to a pit and a hoist at work.

These main dealers never cease to amaze me with their rip off charges.

I think the plugs are 60k or 5 years, whichever is first but probably not really essential. You would probably know if they needed replaceing by performance and drop in fuel consumption.

yes, plugs are done at 60k. it also depends if the car has not been used much, ie left for long periods of time not being used. i wouldn't go as far as call them "rip offs" as they service your car properly and a properly serviced car would sell quickly if you ever did sell it.

I'm assuming the vehicle has had 5 services beforehand? One per year as per the service schedule? If so the next one due would be a major service. They are probably just looking at the 6th service schedule (60k) and assuming all those parts need doing however I don't think there is an age specified on the plugs, just at 60k miles, so you can ask for those not to be done.

Rip off pricing is debatable. £100+ per hour labour could be seen as excessive but servicing costs are somewhat proportional to the cost of the vehicle. The main ripoff is the cost of the oil, they charge much more than just purchasing from Halfords and they get big discounts for buying in bulk.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links