Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turbo Lag And Power Loss...

jaydog82

Hi folks, I'm new to the LOC and unfortunately I am opening with a problem :(

(I have a 56 plate IS 220d which has covered just 63000 miles)

I have seen lots of old threads on here of people complaining they have had this issue. Hopefully this means there are a few success stories out there!?! Hopefully i'm not hashing out old issues that you are all sick of reading about!

Recently I have been experiencing the huge turbo lag and loss of power below 2000rpm (apparently common on this model), it is becoming dangerous when pulling out at a junction to find there is no power unless I frantically slip the clutch to get the power back. When the power does kick in there is a big surge of power and the car lurches back into life, not very smoothly either. Also, 3 or 4 times, I have been in 4th or 5th gear going slightly uphill and found the car started to judder and kangaroo as if I was running out of fuel or trying to drive too slow in a high gear. (which I wasn't). Has anyone actually narrowed this down to know exactly what it is or was it simply a process of elimination replacing bits until it went away? I have read lots of threads and people seem to try lots of things then many don't post to say what fixed it?

I'm leaning towards the idea that it may be related to the turbo, injectors or fuel filter. I cleaned my EGR last year and I just cleaned it again today. I was shocked at how much soot had settled back into the valve in such a short time (maybe 7months?) I only do 6000-8000 miles a year as I live on the Isle of Wight. I gave the EGR and pipework a thorough clean but it has made no difference. After recommendations from others on this site I have just purchased some Archoil AR6200 Pro Fuel Conditioner & Cleaner and some BG244 BG 244 Pro Diesel Fuel System, Injector Cleaner. I will try these out when they arrive but I don't see how these will completely cure the problem, although for £50 it can't do any harm.

Any help much appreciated

regards

Jason

When I had my 220d I found the AR6200 and BG244 really helped a lot. Hope you will find the same.

Honestly......your main problem is getting that engine good and hot on an extended run. You can't go and blast it down the motor way can you? It needs to get hot to get the 5th injector working and also to initiate the self cleaning cycle for the DPF.

Thanks Normski, no I'm afraid there are no motorways here. I will be driving down to Cornwall in a few weeks which is a good 3-4 hour run. What is the cleaning process, 60mph @ 2000rpm?

Thanks

Sorry...just saw this. Quite so...as above. Basically you hold it for a while longer at the point where you are about to change gear. Don't think about 4th to 5th though. I used to use 3rd, and hold it for about 10/15 mins. You do sometimes see a white cloud puff out for a short while. That'll be the carbon burning off.

Thanks guys. I gave the EGR a good clean out last week and since I posted, the fuel treatments have arrived. I'm going to try and book it in to get the fuel filter changed ready for my run down to Cornwall. Just before I go I plan to use the fuel treatments and also do the DPF clean on the way down. Fingers crossed I have no issues while i'm down there!!

Will keep you posted

Interesting update: I took my car to my local garage (the one I have trusted for a few years now) and they fitted a new fuel filter for me for a mere £20. I spoke to the owner and mentioned the issues I have been having. He was instantly convinced that he knew what the problem was. He says it's the turbo. Apparently it's very common that they get sooted up and need stripping down and rebuilding. Apparently they will rebuild mine for about £200 (3-4 hours labour) and I am told it will be back to normal. Result! It couldn't really come at a worse time as I am currently waiting for an exchange date on a house i'm buying so I have fees comin out my ear'olls! It will have to wait for now but I feel a lot happier now I know what it is.

Thought I would post this for others to benefit from my experience. No doubt there are some dodgy garages that would be fleecing people out of all kinds of money trying to suss this problem out.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also be keen to hear if the turbo strip down was the cause of the lack of power below 2000RPM. I have exactly the same symptoms in mine I just thought it was a characteristic of the car having pretty bad turbo lag.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links