Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Only Lexus Do The Ecu O2 Change?

So, the car company that have sold me the lexus will not accept return of the car with the 0138 error as they have said it wasn't present at sale blah blah and Yes I know my right to reject/repair. The company have requested I put the repair through the warranty process as this what they say is their normal process - well I have sent them my intention to reject if a full repair as recommended by lexus isn't carried out as I feel this does affect the value of the car if I chose to resell.

Lexus have told me that this is a cracking car except this one fault, oh and the height sensor snapped,lol. It has no other faults when ran through the computer so I am thinking it might be a good one if repaired.

MY QUESTION IS, Is it only a lexus dealer that can carry out the O2 and ECU repair - this is what I have been told and also been told that the price charged is without Labour as it is an inclusive process as part of a bulletin but the parts are as priced - does this mean it would actually be more expensive at an independent or am I misunderstanding again.

I hate this whole mess - Never had anything other than a bulb go in the LS :(

Sorry a little confused here, P0138 suggests an O2 sensor failure which costs less than £200.00 for an OEM replacement but where does the engine ECU come into the equation?

Replacing the sensor and clearing the code should provide a lasting repair.

Regarding the dealer the onus is on them to prove the defect wasn't there when the car was sold not for you to prove it was.Difficult unless a presale checklist specifically states O2 sensors "checked and working"

Problem with warranty claims is the "Wear and tear" clause.

Hmmmmm, The code was read at Lexus Reading and they said that P0138 is 2 oxygen sensors and a new ECU total cost £2985

In fairness to the service manager there he did say 'you can try the sensors first as that might work'

I have a fast and rough idle on cold is about the only symptom so would you suggest replacing just the faulty 02 sensor and risking that its not a perm fix or chucking the car back at the dealer (although they wont fix it as they say its not their problem and the warranty doesn't cover O2's)?

No surprise with the warranty, I expected as much!

At the end of the day the dealer is responsible under the SOGA to either repair the car FOC or accept it back and refund you in full.

If you do wish to continue with a repair according to my information P0138 is the bank 1 sensor 2 which is the post cat one on the passenger side Lexus part number 89465-50140.

You could probably buy a Denso ( which are same as the Lexus/Toyota ones) for half the Lexus price.

I would personally get another diagnosis from a trusted local independant garage as I am surprised that an O2 sensor is causing a rough idle from cold, O2 sensors don't begin operating correctly until the engine has warmed up and the post cat sensors only monitor the gases they don't control fuel ratios.

• Like 1

P0138 can be caused by a number of things and depends on freeze frame data and checking the operation of the sensor. It could be faulty upstream sensors, a wiring issue, the actual downstream sensor or an ECU issue (unlikely).

So confused by this. The dealer is ignoring me saying they are on 'holiday' until after the repair or reject letter I have sent them so I guess that the courts are going to be seeing some of my money on this. Anyone know if I get it repaired and claim it back or go to court to get funding for the repairs? I love the car other than this issue (albeit an expensive one) It also needs the AFS height sensor thingy at the back replacing and I had the tpms done on the way home from collecting the car as it lit up like Christmas come early.

So, as its the weekend, any ideas/experience in which way round its done would be good to settle my mind - the garage I bought the car from has had many many chances to repair the car or collet it but just respond 'not my problem' grrrrrrrr

Cheers guys.

Rogue Traders on TV?

Have you spoken to your local trading standards department for advice? There may be other cases involving the dealer that they know of and may even be investigating.

As said by others, Sale of Goods Act means that for 6 months from purchase the garage must PROVE that the fault was not present under "reverse burden of proof". I would contact trading standards and also write again to garage (recorded delivery) and give them 7 days to respond or face legal action.

Hope you get a good result soon.

Reported to trading standards and they are interested as apparently the terms and conditions on the invoice are illegal and in breach of the SOGA.

I have been advised and guided through a repair or reject letter giving 14 days before court action.

I do love lexus but are they worth all this lol

• 3 weeks later...

thought I would also consider the Denso route as cheap and worth a go incase my court case fails. A mechanic friend has said that it can make it run rich on startup although it is unlikely. He also said with the electronic controls on these cars it can be a lot of trial and error as components fail and make other areas throw up codes - Oh how I love technology.

Has anyone used the Denso tyre pressure sensors?

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE

The offending garage have denied any claims against them and are now informing the courts that I bought the car from an individual privately - I am guessing they forgot they gave me a receipt!!! Idiots - and why are the courts allowing this change when the information of who I am taking to court should surely be my choice?? especially if it is the company I am chasing and not the Directors.

• 4 weeks later...

So this has now progressed to court dates and I am looking forward to my day in court. It is clear that they are worried as they are claiming to have sent me 'full refund' letters that I have not received and they have not sent to me once requested.

Fingers crossed I get an understanding judge that realises the stress this has caused me.

Matt

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links