Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New C63 Struggling To Keep Up With Isf?

Saw this vid on Pistonheads, was shocked to see not 1 but 2 ISF's in the clips, also looks like the C63 is struggling to keep pace with them round the ring ;)

• Like 1

mmmh i dont it was a head on race from the looks of it.. for all we know Mercedes could be carrying out a test on how the 63 behaves behind another performance car.. it could be tyre test, suspension test etc.. maybe the IS-F's were in front just to pace it..those 63's (older models) are very good in terms of handling and power delivery so i wouldnt think the newer ones would struggle against an IS-F when it comes to full on racing..

in fact against BMW M3, AMG 63 and IS-F i think Lexus done a good job for first attempt in developing a muscle performance V8 Saloon as both BMW and Merc have been producing performance Saloons for decades.. found this vid on the three models racing round a track.. the M3 is still king when it comes to handling which was evident in the time attack figures of over 1.5 secs against the IS-F. on track performance there was no difference between AMG 63 and IS-F.. Infact the IS-F had the best lap time round the track compared to the other two..I will say IS-F Is def on par with the 63 once lexus gets thier suspension tuning right, BMW will be defeated in handling aswell. but for price, spec and reliability, i think IS-F wins hands down..

for all we know Mercedes could be carrying out a test on how the 63 behaves behind another performance car.. it could be tyre test, suspension test etc.. maybe the IS-F's were in front just to pace it

I do recall a similar scenario when Nissan were developing the current GT-R. The prototypes were often seen trailing Porsche 911s on the 'ring, probably for the reasons that you mentioned above.

In which case, it is quite flattering that Mercedes is taking the IS-F as a serious competitor. :)

yeh quiet flattering the IS-F's were used to pace it..which means Merc takes Lexus very serioulsy.. i also read an article a while back which mentioned manufactures of Luxury saloons also used the Lexus LS models when it comes to testing their cars in terms of ride comfort and cabin noise levels. which makes me think people are happy to ride around in Jag XJ's, 7 series and S Class's if only they knew a Lexus was used to help set it up in terms of ride comfort they might aswell buy the real deal lol...

and you right Stu manual mode makes a difference in terms of how the car behaves when responding to throttle..i noticed my 300 is even more responsive in M mode than in D mode even when sport mode is activated. maybe they need to do a re run of this race with all cars in manual sport mode.. :winky: so we can see what the ISF could really do with its fastest shifting gearbox

yeh quiet flattering the IS-F's were used to pace it..which means Merc takes Lexus very serioulsy.. i also read an article a while back which mentioned manufactures of Luxury saloons also used the Lexus LS models when it comes to testing their cars in terms of ride comfort and cabin noise levels. which makes me think people are happy to ride around in Jag XJ's, 7 series and S Class's if only they knew a Lexus was used to help set it up in terms of ride comfort they might aswell buy the real deal lol...

and you right Stu manual mode makes a difference in terms of how the car behaves when responding to throttle..i noticed my 300 is even more responsive in M mode than in D mode even when sport mode is activated. maybe they need to do a re run of this race with all cars in manual sport mode.. :winky: so we can see what the ISF could really do with its fastest shifting gearbox

Defiantly is. Pretty sure ratios are different in manual as well. Gives the driver far better throttle control and more access to instant grunt.

Defiantly is. Pretty sure ratios are different in manual as well. Gives the driver far better throttle control and more access to instant grunt.

To be honest, I never though the C63 went round corners well. Its more about brute power for the straights. Its not too happy in the turns. Seems to look rather jiggly in the video too compared to the IS-F

It can't alter the ratios but the big difference is full lock up from 2nd gear upwards in manual mode. When you are in normal drive the gearbox acts as any normal torque convertor so you lose some power (but it makes it much nicer for traffic and normal driving than a dual clutch)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links