Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Guys,

Am off to France in a few weeks, what is the story with the beams, do i need deflectors, if so how easy are they to put on and take off? My headlights are in good nick and if these things take off a coating i would not be too pleased.!

also, do i need a warning triangle? i already got a hi viz jacket

thoughts?

If you don't want to get ripped off by the gendarmes. If they do a mass stop and check you will likely get nicked.

For the sake of £10 or so.

Get,

Headlight deflectors.. Peezy to fit and you can reuse with carefully cut dbl sided tape

Red triangle

Chuck in some spare bulbs

Carry a first aid kit..simple type will suffice

High viz jacket...keep in the car glove box, not in the boot.

eBay breathalyser kits x2

You don't have to do any of it..plenty don't and don't get caught...your choice....your wallet.

I've always understood that projector beam headlights (as per IS250) don't need deflectors as they don't have the left hand side kick-up like conventional reflector headlights.

To add to Normski's list - you need a viz jacket for every occupant, and kept inside the car, not in the boot.

And you need alco-test kits - at least two.

At least - those are the rules.

(BTW - I've been stopped just about every time I've been to France - usually for identity checks late at night - (always carry your passports!) or routine interrogations near border crossings. Once for turning left (as instructed by sat-nav) at a 'no left turn' junction. But I've never had a 'car check' (all this stuff)

It`s a good question Eric. And you will receive lots of answers from members of these Forums....most of which will be spot on, but you will be best advised in checking an authoritative website such as AA, RAC, Driving in France etc.

I drive to and from Spain via France 4 times a year and would not dream of not "consulting the oracle".

Have a good and safe trip.

Regards

John

I live almost full time in France and travel in Spain a lot. Headlamp deflectors are not needed, if they have flat beams. Breathalyser(s) not needed. High viz jacket for each person in the vehicle available to be put on before leaving the vehicle, so inside the car. One triangle needed in France and two in Spain. First Aid kit is advisable but not a legal requirement. You need to have the registration document, insurance certificate, MOT (if applicable) and your driving licence with you in case of incident or being stopped by the Gendarmerie. Hope this helps.

Deflectors are only needed if you have a beam pattern that goes up towards the left. The HID headlamps on the IS have an almost flat beam (there is a tiny step up towards the left), but nothing like the 15 degree up-slope of "old-style" UK headlights.

This type of flat beam pattern is very unlikely to dazzle oncoming drivers and does not need beam deflectors.

If you look at the MOT tester instructions you can see the different beam patterns. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

The traditional british pattern is type E, whereas the HID headlamps have the British American pattern (bottom pattern on the page, with a small step but no "kick up").

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links