Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I Buy A New Lexus

Ok, so I know this question is a personal thing but I thought I would ask those of you out there who own these cars if you would recommend one to me......

At the moment I drive an Alfa Romeo Spider 2010 2.2JTS and I am looking to change vehicle soon..

These Lexus IS has caught my eye and I love the styling.

I am turning 40 this year, love a dynamic car but also like something that moves well. When I put my foot down I expect it to go. Not something that thinks about going, complain about it then try's its best to go.... when your overtaking does it do it with ease? I usually sit at 70-80mph on the motorway, can it cope with this ok?

looking at the performance it says they're in the 8.3secs 0-60, which is similar to my Alfa (slightly quicker) but do they feel like they are moving or are they a more of a gliding car??

Anyway, thanks for any responses....

DC

Hi Dustcap - perhaps I can help? - I tend to drive 'very hard' (even though at a 'pensionable' age - I do have a 500+ bhp classic for 'fun' weekends). My previous 'daily' was BMW 120D Sport. This had an 8 speed auto gearbox - arguably one of the very best auto transmissions currently available (must be really efficient as auto is lower on CO than 6 speed manual) - this was a great town car (and open road/motorway car), very much a drivers vehicle with 0-60's a second or so less than IS300H. However 0-60's are not always an accurate reflection of performance. 50 mph to 80 mph is more representative of real world driving.The Lexus IS300H at typical 70-80 mph motorway speeds has 'significantly' better acceleration, up to and past 100 mph than my BMW. OK so you are always aware of its bulk, not in terms of actual handling but in rapid transitions of balls out, flat to the floor stuff and subsequent heavy braking - there is a lot of spun-up inertia in the power train to reel in. In terms of traffic light grand prix stuff it certainly won't be as fast a some - BUT with the hybrid drive train it will actually be the quickest away with seemingly the least effort. DO NOT take any notice of magazine road tests telling you that the car is unresponsive - NOT true - using 'sport' mode the car is extremely responsive. Lexus's best kept secret!

• Like 1

Well, I have succumbed.

Put the deposit down today on a '64 plate white F Sport.

Very excited...

looking forward to the luxury and refinement....

Now, does anyone know of someone who might like a much loved Alfa Spider Italia Independent??

lol

Am off now to search Google for accessories lol

DC

I know, it is a beautiful car, but hey, it sometimes draws the wrong kind of attention also.......

Shall put pics up as soon as I get it :)

No, does anyone know of any little secrets the cars hold as the salesmen tell you nothing and no-one reads the owners manuals.... Well, not cover to cover anyway..

DC

So...... It's 3.07am, and I can't sleep.

You guessed, pick up the car in the morning. Off down to Guildford for 9.00am as soon as they open to collect..

I wasn't that fussed about the new car but I suppose the fact I am here at this time of the morning is evidence I am...!!!!!

I got a white Fsport in the end with red leather interior and premium Nav.

I'm already considering changing/spraying the wheels black as I think white cars with black wheels look sexy as hell......

Anyway, I imagine by the time many of you read this I shall be cruising up the M1 headed home in the new (to me) motor....

Happy days :flowers:

DC

• Like 1

I love when people get so excited about getting their car!! Hope you have a great time with it - great colour interior too.

For what it is worth I am hopefully picking my new IS Exec up next week which will replace a CT. I could have picked anything (within reason) but I was so impressed by the IS I decided to stay with the brand.

Speed is important but the in gear acceleration and handling as well as the refined nature of the car when you aren't pushing it won it in the end. Couple that with the looks and dealer service, I am amazed there aren't more on the road.

Bear in mind to, my car will also be used as an emergency reponse car in my particular job with blue lights etc.. so the abilities of the car were very important to me.

• Like 1

1st report......

Picked up this morning and drove an hour and half back to MK.

Well, i am impressed, the car is a delight to drive. Acceleration is ample, any more and can easy get myself into trouble. (its hardly been out of sport mode :whistling: )

The ride is nicely refined, firm enough to know your well planted but still soaks up bumps and holes with ease. I am amazed at the lack of road noise, even at 71mph............. :whistling: Not difficult after coming from an Alfa, but still very good, even with the window open....

Stereo is good, handling is good. Seats are very good,

Small gripes...

Left foot positioning is slightly turned in for me, but can live with it.

Sat nag cannot be herd over the music - who needs directions anyway when its this fun to drive :shifty:

USB doesn't come on automatically when getting back in the car. I have to pull it out and reinsert it! Is this normal or have I missed an option in the settings...

post-52714-0-15809000-1425738931_thumb.j

1st report......

Well, i am impressed, the car is a delight to drive. Acceleration is ample, any more and can easy get myself into trouble. (its hardly been out of sport mode :whistling: )

The ride is nicely refined, firm enough to know your well planted but still soaks up bumps and holes with ease. I am amazed at the lack of road noise, even at 71mph............. :whistling: Not difficult after coming from an Alfa, but still very good, even with the window open....

Small gripes...

Sat nag cannot be herd over the music - who needs directions anyway when its this fun to drive :shifty:

USB doesn't come on automatically when getting back in the car. I have to pull it out and reinsert it! Is this normal or have I missed an option in the settings...

Looks ace!

The sat nav volume is customizable somewhere in the settings so you can knock that gripe off your list :P

With regards to the USB, I experienced the same with the CT when I had a loaner last year. Hopefully the dealers can sort it out!

Pleased to hear it's been a good experience so far!

I second the watch the wheels advice, the slightest brush against the kerb and you'll see it.

The sat nag volume can be adjusted but what the damn thing won't do is mute the music volume whilst nagging. The previous gen car did, I can't for the life of me understand why this won't.

Happy motoring!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Think the Sat nav setttings is in the Voice part of the setting menu, exchanged our Alfa 159 last week for a IS300H exec Dark Blue with Ivory leather very impressed with it Quick in sports mode refined in all modes very economical getting 45mpg at moment in rush hour driving compared to 20mpg in the Alfa, Seats very comfortable and love how quiet the car is

Think the Sat nav setttings is in the Voice part of the setting menu, exchanged our Alfa 159 last week for a IS300H exec Dark Blue with Ivory leather very impressed with it Quick in sports mode refined in all modes very economical getting 45mpg at moment in rush hour driving compared to 20mpg in the Alfa, Seats very comfortable and love how quiet the car is

Sounds good, be nice to see a pic or two

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

1st report......

Small gripes...

Looks ace!

The sat nav volume is customizable somewhere in the settings so you can knock that gripe off your list :P

With regards to the USB, I experienced the same with the CT when I had a loaner last year. Hopefully the dealers can sort it out!

Yes I found the satnav volume early on, on full it's still not audible over my music so is off now.

Why would you take a step back from programming the software to lower the music volume when the sat nav chirps up to doing nothing? Counter intuitive IMO. It may well get resolved in an a software update at some point?? Talking of which, which is the latest software version? Must check I am on it.

Duly noted about the wheels, already got the mirrors to turn down when reversing, the rear camera is going to take some getting used to though.

I shall have to get onto the guy who sold me it to ask about the USB issue. Very annoying to have to pull it out and put it back in again everytime I get in the car.....

DC

Yes, very nice indeed. But don't park too close to the kerb with those dark 18" alloys.

Tell me about it! :megaangry: :msn-cry::rolleyes:

Yes I found the satnav volume early on, on full it's still not audible over my music so is off now.

Why would you take a step back from programming the software to lower the music volume when the sat nav chirps up to doing nothing? Counter intuitive IMO. It may well get resolved in an a software update at some point?? Talking of which, which is the latest software version? Must check I am on it.

Duly noted about the wheels, already got the mirrors to turn down when reversing, the rear camera is going to take some getting used to though.

I shall have to get onto the guy who sold me it to ask about the USB issue. Very annoying to have to pull it out and put it back in again everytime I get in the car.....

DC

The satnav infotainment system is idiosyncratic to say the least, but you get used to it. Version V3101F is latest SW I think. More bug fixes and stability than any changes as far as I can see.

Ref, USB - I have an Ipod connected and apart from an occasional crash/lockup, it reconnects and carries on as normal on most re-starts. I have tried a normal 8GB USB stick with folders and files and it worked ok too. Maybe it is related to the actual stick you are using? It is fussy about the format etc, make sure you follow the rules in the manual.

Otherwise - enjoy! :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links