Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just bought a 2006 GS300 (private sale) and the alternator packed up on the way home.
I'm now having major problems sourcing a new one. The local Lexus main agent say they can get one in about 4 days but it would cost nearly £600!.
Everywhere else I try say that they are very hard to get hold of and would need to be imported from Germany or Holland and would be £300. Can anyone shed any light on why they are so difficult to get hold of?
Also:-
1. Does anyone know the part number of this item
2. Does anyone know of any good sources.

I'd be most grateful for any input on this.

Hi Marock

My alternator also packed up last September. I have an LS400 unlike a GS300 but I had absolutely no difficulty in finding a genuine replacement from a Toyota dealer. I paid £219.00 plus £50.00 labour to my independent mechanic. After the dreaded VAT was paid the total outlay was £322.80. I experienced no delays whatsoever.

I hope this helps

Pepe

Hi Pepe

Thanks for your input.

I've tried a couple of Toyota dealers in the area and they both say that they have no access to Lexus part numbers, so couldn't help.
I tried to get a part number from the local Lexus main agent but they say company policy forbids giving it.

So, round and round it goes.

cruisermark, I've now tried a few from different areas and they all come up with the same story.

The only Toyota dealer I could get to even check their database was one in Manchester, but he came up with "Lexus dealer only".

Why dont you get a fitter to take it of it may just need a diode pack im sure an electritian could sort it

Just an idea

wont be no where near 600

i rechecked it looks like its for the mark 2 sorry but even with postage they cheaper from the states according to the ads

but i still think you could get it reconditioned

Thanks for the replies, KayCee.
westlancsautoelectrics.co.uk/ are sending a carrier today, to pick up the alternator, and they say they will be able to identify what is required and get a new one imported from Holland (cost £300 inc VAT).
They also give an 18 month warranty (longer than the Lexus main dealer).
I spy light at the end of the tunnel.

KayCee,no, it was removed by a local independant mechanic that I've been using for years, and now regard as a friend.

He said that it was by far the most difficult he's ever had to remove, due to the way the previous one had been fitted.

This last one had only lasted 1 year and 9 days (12,000 miles). I tell you, the previous owner really dodged a bullet with this going when it did, on the day I bought the car.

Just an update; the company I mentioned earlier on the thread have diagnosed that the alternator clutch pulley and diode pack have failed on the unit.

They are going to do a full strip down, test and refurb for £265 with 18 month full warranty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links