Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need to install my dash cam in my 450h. On my BMW I connected the 12v to the sun roof feed but the Lexus has no sun roof.

Does anyone know if there is an ignition switched live in the head lining near the interior lights.

I'm hoping that even though the sun roof is not present, the wiring loom will be a standard item.

I'm looking for an ignition switched live and permanent live for an install I'm doing (Alpine Ezi DAB unit) but don't know of one in the roof - could you use the int. lamp feed with an inline switch (and fuse)?

So for me the switched live is looking like the cigar lighter in the console and the permanent live either from a spare in one of the fuse boxes, or there is a permanent live at the OBD port.

Good luck and if I find out more will let you know. It seems GS450h electrics may be a bit of an unexplored area..........

ps is it worth popping the large plastic trim cover off adjacent to the roof lamps? If the sunroof loom is there it might be visible for testing with a multimeter?

• 2 weeks later...

After some thought I decided not to break into the wiring harness. A piggy back circuit seems to be a less intrusive method. Using one of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170709632237?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyway I decided to do a reccy today to find the fuse box, apparently there are several but the ones I would be interested in are in left and right footwells. I fumbled around and found it but a new problem seems to have come to light (or not to light :) ) I couldn't see what I was doing because there's no footwell lights.

Is there a switch or an option in a menu somewhere?

from the manual:

when the instrument panel light control switch is turned to minimum, the foot lights, inside door handle lights and shift lever light will turn off

if the interior lights, personal ights and steering spot light remain on when the door is not fully closed, or the interior light switch is in DOOR position, then the lights will go off automatically after 20 minutes

hth

Mike

• 6 years later...
On 5/3/2015 at 5:34 PM, Connoisseur said:

I'm looking for an ignition switched live and permanent live for an install I'm doing (Alpine Ezi DAB unit) but don't know of one in the roof - could you use the int. lamp feed with an inline switch (and fuse)?

So for me the switched live is looking like the cigar lighter in the console and the permanent live either from a spare in one of the fuse boxes, or there is a permanent live at the OBD port.

Good luck and if I find out more will let you know. It seems GS450h electrics may be a bit of an unexplored area..........

ps is it worth popping the large plastic trim cover off adjacent to the roof lamps? If the sunroof loom is there it might be visible for testing with a multimeter?

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask.... does the obd port have a permanent live 12V. I want to power a dash cam using the obd port! 

18 minutes ago, Zabe said:

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask.... does the obd port have a permanent live 12V. I want to power a dash cam using the obd port! 

Yes it does. Just Google for "OBD2 pinout" (without the quotes) and you'll find a whole lot of info about which pins to use.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Yes it does. Just Google for "OBD2 pinout" (without the quotes) and you'll find a whole lot of info about which pins to use.

Thanks for the quick reply, im installing a dash cam on my 2007 GS450h and the cam also has an option to be powered with an OBD cable as long as the vehicle has a permanent live 12V when ignition is off!

I need this for the cams advanced parking mode for motion and impact detection, but a permanent 12V is required.

Do you think I will be ok? 

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

On 5/3/2015 at 5:34 PM, Connoisseur said:

40 minutes ago, Zabe said:

Thanks for the quick reply, im installing a dash cam on my 2007 GS450h and the cam also has an option to be powered with an OBD cable as long as the vehicle has a permanent live 12V when ignition is off!

I need this for the cams advanced parking mode for motion and impact detection, but a permanent 12V is required.

Do you think I will be ok? 

Given that the camera (presumably?) comes with an OBD port connector then it must be OK, yes.

However, to be honest it's not the way I would do it. I'd prefer to use a hardwire kit and connect it to the fuse box by using a fuse tap (sometimes called a piggyback fuse or an add-a-fuse).

What make and model of camera is it?

I connected mine to wiper fuse on passenger side with a piggy back fuse what Herbs mentioned but you need a a USB drop voltage module to bring 12v down to 5v .

most cameras are mini usb so needs 5v but if you need 12v just piggy bacl a non ign fuse and run wire up pass side Air bag trim no need to remove it just enough to thread cable behind.

There is also 12v feed at the sunroof switch but thats 12 v.

modules are on eBay for a few quid

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links