Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 Information

Hi everyone, most of you may know that I have been looking out for an IS200 and I have found a cracking example for sale which is everything I want more or less. I need some info on revisions and alterations with the facelift model por favor:

Clarification of Lexus IS200 CD Player:

The one I have seen is a 2000 model and has the previous CD player fitted (cassette top, CD below) -

Is the ERR3 issue directly related to this model, or was it rectified with the introduction of the reversed CD/cassette order (CD top, cassette below)?

So, basically I'm saying does the ERR3 issue occur on the newer CD players as well?

Does the issue occur at random, or is it when ALL six discs are inserted? If so, if you only load five, is this ok and causes no problems?

Other Issues:

Where there any other alterations made to the IS200 after the revised version was released? I know the issues regarding alloy wheels, but providing they don't corrode and collapse inwardly on themselves causing me to crash, I'll make do with them for the time being!

Are there any interior differences? Bodywork differences? Engine differences? Headlight differences? The reason I ask is that there were slight alterations throughout the production of my current car - the Ford Focus. As time went by, I learned of ECU issues, Engine Silver top issues and other electrical faults that were revised over the years (even of the same shape Focus).

Thanks in advance for any help received,

Jamie

With regard to the stereo, I believe the ERR3 problem is totally random, and occurs with all bottom slot CD players - although I think it is aggravated by using CD-Rs. I'd recommend getting one with a top slot and you won't have any problems with it.

By revised version, do you mean when they made a slight facelift around mid 2001?

If so, I have one of the revised versions and off the top of my head the differences are:

Electric passenger seat

Single colour dash (which I prefer, but some don't)

Smoked rear lights (on dark coloured cars, basically all except silver and white)

New CD player

ABS with EBD (brake distribution) and brake assist

Curtain airbags

Disabling of interior alarm sensors no longer controlled by remote

Heated door mirrors controlled by switch (so not always on as with older models)

Satnav now DVD based (which covered whole of europe) rather than CD (which didn't)

I don't think there were any technical changes, but I'm not sure so hopefully someone else will be able to answer that :)

Oh and the wheel issue is totally cosmetic, and happens to them all!

I believe the ERR3 problem is totally random, and occurs with all bottom slot CD players - although I think it is aggravated by using CD-Rs. I'd recommend getting one with a top slot and you won't have any problems with it.

So does this mean that the facelift model (with the new CD player) does not have this issue?

The facelift version - does anyone know what plate this arrived on?

I have one of the revised versions and off the top of my head the differences are:

Smoked rear lights (on dark coloured cars, basically all except silver and white)

New CD player

Curtain airbags

Heated door mirrors controlled by switch (so not always on as with older models)

Satnav now DVD based (which covered whole of europe) rather than CD (which didn't)

Thank you very much for all this- it's really appreciated and will no doubt have an affect on the buying!

I don't think there were any technical changes, but I'm not sure so hopefully someone else will be able to answer that

Anyone?

All help is very much welcomed, as I want to spend wisely on a reliable car, not a leeeeemon.

Ta,

Jamie

Believe me, ive got the top loading cd player and i get err3....err1, the cd player aint even attached to the centre console so i can take it out whenever anythin gets jammed!!! Cant tell that it aint attached either :winky:

So does this mean that the facelift model (with the new CD player) does not have this issue?

The facelift version - does anyone know what plate this arrived on?

While a few have had an ERR1 problem, which is usually caused by a dirty laser, or condensation on it, it's just a few isolated cases - everyone else's has been fine with a top slot CD player.

As someone said it was mid 2001, I think it was from 'Y' plate cars, but not sure if there was an overlap. It's easy to spot though from the single colour dash.

If you can afford it, I'd definitely go for one of the facelifted ones, as you'll miss the little things otherwise - things like curtain airbags, never want to have to use them but glad they're there :winky:

One other thing I forgot, the facelifted cars had contrasting piping on the leather, early cars had no piping (not a dealbreaker I know, but another point to consider) :)

With regard to the stereo, I believe the ERR3 problem is totally random, and occurs with all bottom slot CD players - although I think it is aggravated by using CD-Rs. I'd recommend getting one with a top slot and you won't have any problems with it.

By revised version, do you mean when they made a slight facelift around mid 2001?

If so, I have one of the revised versions and off the top of my head the differences are:

Electric passenger seat

New CD player

Curtain airbags

I don't think there were any technical changes, but I'm not sure so hopefully someone else will be able to answer that :)

Oh and the wheel issue is totally cosmetic, and happens to them all!

Made a few subtle changes back half of 2001, ie 51 plates....more air bags, CD player changed, speaker trim changed and the front grill changed.

my car is november 2000 and came with top mount cd player, did not get any err messages as such but it did stop playing cds intermittently but had it changed under warranty at the time no problems with the new cd player.

Absolutely brill - thanks for all the responses, they're going to help me a lot.

If I can think of anything else I'll add it on here.

Thank you again....

Jamie

had a 1999 t lexis200 for 6 month now only time i get err3 is with cdrs. all others play fine have all 6 permanently loaded and run in sequence or randomly so far- fingers crossed!

ps someone mentioned elec drivers seat on later models- must of been an option coz mine has one.

ps someone mentioned elec drivers seat on later models- must of been an option coz mine has one.

The IS has always had an electric drivers seat, the later models also had an electric passenger seat :)

Revised models actually from late 2000........ (on the X plate)

electric passenger seat and top loading CD.

Also colour changes happened 2000/2001 and also around 2003/4.

LE model came with HID Headlamps and leather.

there are around 50 Bright yellow ones about.

Later models had slight cosmetic changes to dash and interior and wheels.

A good search on the site will find all the info for you.

Ah right so the 'leccy seats and CD player were changed from the X plate onwards?

J

I don't think so, as I've seen pre-facelift cars on Y plates with the two tone dash, 4 slat bronze grille, in royal sapphire blue with chrome rear lights.

A revised model would have a single colour dash, 3 slat black grille, be in strathcaron blue and have dark chrome rear lights.

I suppose there could have been some overlap with some dealers selling older cars that they had in stock on Y plates......

I guess the easiest thing is just to hunt around, its quite obvious which one is which from the dash so you'd be able to spot which ones are facelifted or not easily from pics.

How much are you looking to spend on one and which model are you looking for?

Hello there,

So is this dash an example of a pre-facelift model?

Pre-Facelift Dash

Whereas this is a facelift dash...?

Facelift Dash

I'm after a 2000/2001 facelift, with the dark blue/black interior. I test drove one just before Christmas and it was almost perfect, however, upon close inspection it appeared to have had some covered up, rear end damage. Shame really, as it had everything I wanted - it is still for sale as well. Finally, I would prefer it with the dark rear lights, but I don't mind if it's the only thing on the car that is different to what I would like.

The mileage should be around 50k-75k and have a full service history.

Is there a difference between Strathcaron and Sapphire Blue? I would prefer the grey/bluey colour whichever that is! But once again will settle for either if there is a difference.

I didn't realise that there were any changes made to the grille - I hadn't noticed that one.

Jamie

Yep those are the two kinds of dash available - if you have the second, then the car will have the dark rear lights (as long as it's not white or silver)

The interior's not actually blue, just the escaine (faux suede) part of the seat looks weird as it wears - a quick brush up with a suede brush though will bring it back to black

No real difference between sapphire and strathcaron, just two slightly different shades of blue - if its grey you're after though, granite sky will be the one you're looking at (the dark grey)

If you go for a facelifted car, then the grille will look like this:

202163833.jpg

(It's the top one in this pic, the bottom one is the sportdesign grille that I had on my car for a while)

The pre-facelift grilles had four thinner rows, and also had a funny bronze colour which I didn't personally like much.

Are you going for an SE or Sport?

OK mine is a LATE (DEC) 2000 on an X plate.

I have the CD player with the CD on top, and Both Seats are electric.

I have seen an x plate in strathcaron blue and i have seen a y plate in royal sapphire........ also another blue came in later.

Dash colour changes im not quite sure when they started i thin 2002ish....perhaps a member who has the solid colour dash can say for sure.

OK mine is a LATE (DEC) 2000 on an X plate.

I have the CD player with the CD on top, and Both Seats are electric.

I have seen an x plate in strathcaron blue and i have seen a y plate in royal sapphire........ also another blue came in later.

Dash colour changes im not quite sure when they started i thin 2002ish....perhaps a member who has the solid colour dash can say for sure.

Hmmm, sorry seems I was wrong, there was a lot of overlap then - yep mine is a 2002 and has the single colour dash.

I guess the facelift must have occurred in late 2000, but dealers must have been selling older unregistered cars on 'Y' plates in 2001.

Seems you just need to be careful if you're buying one from around those dates.......

I will be getting either the SE or the Sport. At the moment I have no preference, just as long as it's in good condition. The insurance costs for me are only £2.00 extra for the Sport, so it doesn't matter either way.

I would like either a 2000 or 2001 vehicle.

The colour I was referring to is a blue colour and it seems to have a hint of grey in it. It's not the full grey Granite Sky. I'm pretty sure that Audi used the colour, as I've seen it on a few TTs and A4s.

J

The colour I was referring to is a blue colour and it seems to have a hint of grey in it. It's not the full grey Granite Sky. I'm pretty sure that Audi used the colour, as I've seen it on a few TTs and A4s.

Hmmmm, not sure what colour that is - have you got a pic of one in that colour?

The only thing I can think of that would match that description is antimony (as below) but that was only available from 2004 onwards.......

223008044.jpg

This is a link to a recent Lexus I have been looking at, however it is not the greyee-blue I was talking about:

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/s...ia?id=440799354

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/s...ia?id=440799360

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/s...ia?id=440799364

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/s...ia?id=440799366

Lovely car and up at a rather high £7500, here is the description:

2001 51 Reg LEXUS IS 2.0 SE4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 75,000 miles, Metallic Blue. Lexus plus one owner, Full Lexus service history, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Electrically adjustable seats, Radio/CD Multichanger, Computer, Driver airbag, Remote locking, Foglights, Head restraints, ABS, Headlight washers, Heated seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, 17 Inch alloys, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Side airbags, Rear headrests, colour coded bumpers, colour coded mirrors, Full black leather interior, Leather steering wheel, Overmats. Insurance Group:12, Stunning car, 3 months warranty, P/X and finance a pleasure, All major credit/debit cards accepted.

£7,490

Jamie

I do not know the Grey/Blue you are thinking of...I don’t think I will...unless it’s in the S cloth. (The "S" is the most Basic IS200)

The car pics you have put up look to be an SE

Strathcaron Blue (could be Sapphire but from the back pic it looks to be strath)

It is the 2 tone dash with a top loader CD.

And interior is Exmoor (Black leather/alacantra)

It may have the rear tinted Light clusters (im not sure)

Interior colours were only Exmoor (Black) or Oakham (Beige) at least for SE and Sport.

The IS had a number of Minor cosmetic changes throughout........

2000/01 cd player changed, Passenger gets elec seat. Blue (and possibly the red?) colour change

2001/2 CD sat nav changes to DVD system.

2002/3 Dash colour changes.

2004/5 Blue colour changes again

2004/5 ? THE LE (Limited Edition ) came in a completely different colour, full armrest, and had HID lamps as standard. (not grey/blue though)

Alloy wheels changed on later models also....guessing at 2004.

towards the end of the run Lexus offered full leather and satnav systems also.

All this is off the top of my head but i dont think its too far off.....

The car pics you have put up look to be an SE

Strathcaron Blue (could be Sapphire but from the back pic it looks to be strath)

This is the colour that I really do like though and if anyone can confirm that this is the Strathcaron Blue, then at least I know which name to be looking for in adverts. :blush:

Do any owners have a picture of their IS2c in Royal Sapphire Blue and another with Strathcaron Blue please? Just to compare...

And interior is Exmoor (Black leather/alacantra)

The interior in this car looked really smart, as I said above, it had a hint of blue in it, but Parthiban cleared that up:

The interior's not actually blue, just the escaine (faux suede) part of the seat looks weird as it wears - a quick brush up with a suede brush though will bring it back to black
It may have the rear tinted Light clusters (im not sure)

Yes it does have the smoked rear lights.

With all the info that everyone is providing, I'm hopeful that I will end up choosing the right model, so thanks to everyone again :D

Jamie

Yep that is definitely Strathcaron blue, while there isn't a whole lot of difference I think strathcaron blue is the better shade of blue...... :P

199595789.jpg

199595787.jpg

199595793.jpg

And yes it has the smoked rear lights and single colour dash (as mine does) so its definitely the facelifted model. Although I'd agree that it does seem slightly overpriced - I wouldn't expect to get much more than that for mine, and mine is an auto and has satnav...... :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links