Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh Dear - LS400 Listing on the nearside

......  but really I guess it's all down to money too  .....  defective roads and roads maintenance takes money  .....  litter is often a cultural thing and I do despair when people here don't care where there rubbish goes; in italy on the other hand they told me there really is no money for any sort of regular dustcart or local collection and people in the south there have no place to dispose of rubbish, so, it gets tipped in the road until someone somewhere finds some cash to go out to pick it all up ( rarely )

It's sad

Malc

I wonder if the litter thing is, in part, a legacy of the IRA problems. Remember, they had a habit of placing bombs in bins........so the authorities removed them all. Even now, it can be difficult to find a convenient bin.

Or, maybe, we are all just getting lazy!  :(

Have you seen any of the "reality" programmes, where they follow these litter wardens?

They hide round corners and wait for some poor sap to stub a fag out on the ground, usually a fairly harmless looking soul, and at a time when the pubs and clubs are yet to get going, then hit them with a 60 quid spot fine.

Strangely, you never see them tackle a car full of rough looking teenagers who've just hurled a skip full of Macdonalds, (other crap takeaways are available), garbage through their car windows.

I'm afraid our country is run by clowns, at every level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeyv said:

Have you seen any of the "reality" programmes, where they follow these litter wardens?

They hide round corners and wait for some poor sap to stub a fag out on the ground, usually a fairly harmless looking soul, and at a time when the pubs and clubs are yet to get going, then hit them with a 60 quid spot fine.

Strangely, you never see them tackle a car full of rough looking teenagers who've just hurled a skip full of Macdonalds, (other crap takeaways are available), garbage through their car windows.

Last year we were working in Croydon doing a house refurb, we lived at the house for 5 weeks. Two things we noticed were the pot holes and the massive amount of litter. Walking along Portland Rd we saw people just throwing takeaway boxes and wrappers on the pavement, just as though is was second nature.  One of the local shopkeepers said the council clear the litter twice daily, and because they spend so much on litter clearing there's no money left to repair the roads! I grew up and worked in London and I know it was never as bad as it is now, people generally just don't seem to care.  I sometimes think the councils should just leave it to build up, maybe people would think differently if they were ankle deep in stinking rubbish....but probably they wouldn't care. 

1 hour ago, mikeyv said:

Last year we were working in Croydon doing a house refurb, we lived at the house for 5 weeks. Two things we noticed were the pot holes and the massive amount of litter. Walking along Portland Rd we saw people just throwing takeaway boxes and wrappers on the pavement, just as though is was second nature.  One of the local shopkeepers said the council clear the litter twice daily, and because they spend so much on litter clearing there's no money left to repair the roads! I grew up and worked in London and I know it was never as bad as it is now, people generally just don't seem to care.  I sometimes think the councils should just leave it to build up, maybe people would think differently if they were ankle deep in stinking rubbish....but probably they wouldn't care. 

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Seem to remember that didn't go too well in the 70s, when Ted Heath was PM, with the 3 day week and the streets full of uncollected rubbish.

I know some young people, on zero hours contracts, who'd think they'd won the pools if they got three days work in a week, can't help feeling sorry for them.

1 hour ago, mikeyv said:

Seem to remember that didn't go too well in the 70s, when Ted Heath was PM, with the 3 day week and the streets full of uncollected rubbish.

I know some young people, on zero hours contracts, who'd think they'd won the pools if they got three days work in a week, can't help feeling sorry for them.

I remember it well, the three day weeks and blackouts, and almost worse than that....Leyland cars, and the Leyland Sherpa van!

40 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I remember it well, the three day weeks and blackouts, and almost worse than that....Leyland cars, and the Leyland Sherpa van!

They were shocking weren't they, although I had a great time in my 72 and 74 MGB roadsters, but they even managed to ruin them in the end, with deck chair seats and those godawful rubber bumpers.

10 hours ago, mikeyv said:

They were shocking weren't they, although I had a great time in my 72 and 74 MGB roadsters, but they even managed to ruin them in the end, with deck chair seats and those godawful rubber bumpers.

You may have seen this, if not it's brilliant!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

You may have seen this, if not it's brilliant!

I have seen it before, in fact I think I posted it myself a good while back, but still enjoyed watching it again.

If Poirot couldn't fix the problems, what hope was there?

On 21/07/2016 at 9:43 PM, Tulpen said:

I've spent quite a bit of time in the UK over the past year and the first thing I notice, when I get off the ferry, is the state of the roads. They are appalling!!  I'm not surprised there are suspension problems.......just think how awful it must be for people who have to drive 'lesser' vehicles.

The other thing I notice is the rubbish - disgusting. I'm a proud Brit..........but.

A reason to drive a car with 60/70 profile tyres? The 'good old days'?

watching 'Potiche' last night (French film about 70s) I noticed how (nicely) bouncy cars seemed to ride -Renault 16/Citroen DS of course....)

The old thing about 2CVs being able to drive across a ploughed field-just like UK roads these days?

Off to buy an X Trail.......

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links