Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Shaking Problem

Hi everyone.

the steering wheel of my IS200 will be shaking between the speed of 55-60MPH, and goes away after 60MPH

i have done wheel balancing for 4 times, and alignment for twice. (in different garages)

also have checked the camber angle and toe angle

but unfortunately, still didn't sort out the problem.

it really getting me mad now, so does anyone have any ideas at all?

thx very much for helping!

Hi everyone.

the steering wheel of my IS200 will be shaking between the speed of 55-60MPH, and goes away after 60MPH

i have done wheel balancing for 4 times, and alignment for twice. (in different garages)

Try Tony Bones (Dr Bones) at Wheels in Motion - I've never been there, yet, but everyone on this forum swears by him!

Hi everyone.

It could be your brake discs that are warped, as I had this on my old IS200, luckily it was still under warranty, so dealership replaced them FOC, infact they done this 3 times in the three years I had the car.

Is you IS200 still under warranty?

they might offer to skim the discs, which is not expensive. before you go changing brake discs, I ask when they were last changed?

and also, whether you recently got new brake pads? did you bed them in?

not sure when they were last changed. cos i own the car for only 2 months.

actually i changed the both front tyres 1 month ago, then the problem appeared. before then it was just fine.

they might offer to skim the discs, which is not expensive. before you go changing brake discs, I ask when they were last changed?

actually i changed the both front tyres 1 month ago, then the problem appeared. before then it was just fine.

ahhhh, sounds like one of your new tyres is out of round or has a flat spot. even with good wheel balancing you might not overcome a problem.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tires2.htm

have a look at this. did you get the tyres from a big chain? did they do the balancing too? get them to sort this out..

ahhhh, sounds like one of your new tyres is out of round or has a flat spot. even with good wheel balancing you might not overcome a problem.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tires2.htm

have a look at this. did you get the tyres from a big chain? did they do the balancing too? get them to sort this out..

the tyres were fit by kwik fit, i think they did the balancing.

thank you very much mate.. this helps a lot!!

Taken from a US website..

My car vibrates at over 60 mp/h. (100 kp/h.). The vibration is most noticeable through the steering wheel. Will I have to replace one or more tires?

Many mechanics or service managers will say it is because all or some of your tires and wheels are bent, worn or out-of-round -- or that you need $1,000 worth of suspension work.

It's a sad reflection on the quality of diagnosis in the auto repair industry, but over 90% of the vibration problems referred to us are resolved without replacing any tires, wheels, or suspension parts.

A Question of Balance.

Contrary to popular belief, an expensive electronic balancer that reads a perfect 0-0 on an impressive looking digital screen does not guarantee a perfect balance. Accuracy depends on how precisely the wheel is centered on the balancer shaft and how well the balancer is maintained.

An electronic wheel balancer should be thoroughly cleaned and calibrated at least once a month. More than half of the vibration problems we encounter are the result of repair shops' inaccurate wheel balancing. Ask your car or tire dealer when was the last time he (or she) calibrated his balancer. If he says it's "self-calibrating" or that the machine doesn't need it, suggest that he reads the operating manual (if he can remember where he filed it the day he uncrated his machine).

im getting bad vibrations through my steering wheel when braking at these speeds its going in tomro for them to look at the discs and do 4 wheel alinement hope they fix it its really peeeeing me off

Hi everyone.

I had exactly the same problem last year, vibration between 50-60mph, then goes away, and comes back around 85mph

If this is happening while driving (and not braking), its nothing to do with your brake discs, mine was fully cured by doing a full geometry

If you don't mind the trip, I'd recommend taking it to Tony in Watford before you start replacing expensive components of your car, as I'm pretty sure that will fix it :)

Hi everyone.

The problem is the wheel balance, not the brakes and not the Geometry....

Balance is a frequency (pulse) that exists as soon as the car is in motion...many levels of the pulse is absorbed by the suspension and surrounding components until a particular frequency is reached... At this point the vibration will be felt by the driver.... As the speed increases the frequency again changes and the car again absorbs the pulse .

The reason you are having problems resolving the balance is the tyre shops keep mounting the wheel on the balancer by using the centre hole as a guide for the dye..... This is wrong... The wheel needs to be mounted and corrected on a studded plate.... This mimics the same mounting as the wheels on the car... 'The stud holes'.

Tony what do u think mine is, i get it when i just touch the brakes between 50-65mph think that could be the balancing too???

In your case it seems more likely to be warped discs.........

Tony what do u think mine is, i get it when i just touch the brakes between 50-65mph think that could be the balancing too???

Thats what i thought but there reasonalbe new and after market one DBA 4000 gold something lol, they look so pretty as well hehehe and i cant afford new ones at the moment :crybaby:

Thats what i thought but there reasonalbe new and after market one DBA 4000 gold something lol, they look so pretty as well hehehe and i cant afford new ones at the moment :crybaby:

Well you could get them skimmed.... :winky:

Well you could get them skimmed.... :winky:

Hopefully it wont take to much of the life of em ill let u all no tomro

In truth you diagnosed your own problem.... By activating the brakes?.....A point to remember is in actual fact the disc does not warp or distort :unsure: What actually happens is when the car is stopped and the foot brake is held on whilst the disc is hot. the brake pad material is burnt into a particular area on the disc. This additional friction pulsates during sustained braking generates a vibration.

I went to Kwik fit this morning, told them the problem and asked for solution.

they did a re-balance for all wheels, including the rear 2.

suprisingly, the problem has been sort out.

however i didn't test the car on motorway today, so will test it tomorrow and see if its really been done.

Thanks Tony, as you said the problem is with the wheel balancing, but i am quite curious why all those garages i have been to, didnt sort out this easy problem?

I went to Kwik fit this morning, told them the problem and asked for solution.

they did a re-balance for all wheels, including the rear 2.

suprisingly, the problem has been sort out.

however i didn't test the car on motorway today, so will test it tomorrow and see if its really been done.

Thanks Tony, as you said the problem is with the wheel balancing, but i am quite curious why all those garages i have been to, didnt sort out this easy problem?

Good for you... As for the other garages?.... Equipment and operator error reads consistent.

• 2 months later...

Hi

i have an is200 and about an inch of steering wheel shake at 55-60mph then that stops and the gear stick does the same 60 - 65, but i guess thats to do with resonance frequencies... anyway I reckon this is a wheel balancing problem as it happens when im not breaking. I've only had the car a few days, but it looks to have recently had new tyres. is it more likely to be coming from the front wheels out of balance or could it equally be the back?

Is there any one you guys recommend in my area to look at this for me?

i live in Loughborough, and often drive to Lincoln down the A46.

Eddie

Hi

i have an is200 and about an inch of steering wheel shake at 55-60mph then that stops and the gear stick does the same 60 - 65, but i guess thats to do with resonance frequencies... anyway I reckon this is a wheel balancing problem as it happens when im not breaking. I've only had the car a few days, but it looks to have recently had new tyres. is it more likely to be coming from the front wheels out of balance or could it equally be the back?

Is there any one you guys recommend in my area to look at this for me?

i live in Loughborough, and often drive to Lincoln down the A46.

Eddie

The frequency generated by incorrect balance is as described by yourself... i suggest all four wheels are tested with the original weights on to establish how incorrect each wheel is... then have them corrected.

I wrote a thread on this topic and the best method for correction some two years ago.... Eddieo if you can find the post it could help :winky:

I think the title was 'wheel balance and why it goes wrong'...... think?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links